LegacyGT.com

Twisty's Dumb Questions (aka Smokey's progress thread)

pulled the head on the forester finally, no wonder i had no compression.

http://i66.tinypic.com/rhstie.jpg

not sure what caused it, but there is definite signs that the rack had been redone recently, and the timing components and HG were all fairly new. ishould get the new valves from the dealer this morning, so i will take the head and the parts to a buddy that has a machine shop and let him replace and verify the valve seats and all. should be back together this weekend hopefully.

my son decided that smokey needed to be painted, so he spent some time sanding and primering the car this past week. we seem to have a bit of troubel seeing eye-to-eye on the final color, buti keep reminding him that he is my car, so my choice lol. damn kids.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha i should! hes gonna end up a darker non metallic green with black top and black wheels. thats always been the color he will end up since i got him. he wants to go all stormtrooper and do white with black trim and stuff, or a grey all over. that was after wanting to do black semigloss. i told him black was ok, since im going to do a black undercoat anyway to set the green that i want up.

• 4 weeks later...

well, smokey seems to have lost a bit of transmission performance. like, you can hear it grind when you try to drive it. got hank (the outback) up again so my son at least has a car to drive. im pretty bummed, smokey is my fave of the bunch. i do have a line on a cheap outback with blown head gaskets tho, i may pick him up and use the drive train for smokey.

Lefty the GT has a ton of front end issues popping up, looks like a full rebuild once i get him back home from my daughter driving it. her forester is almost done and back on the road, just have to get the radiator back in and start it up.

my sons dodge never got started with the 360 in it, so he finally did what ive been telling him from the start. the original 318 block is at the machine shop, 30 bore and new cam should wake that truck up.

giphy.gif

i bought the other outback, good deal for a decent car with a crapped out motor (EJ25). tried to start it, you can hear the bearings complaining. milky oil and all. but, it was less for the whole car than i could find a decent trans for, so im not complaining. the interior is way better than any of my current cars, and the body is straight. same color as hank but a year newer. Hank Jr is his name. sadly, hank will be the parts car i bought him as, and give up his engine to hank jr. his drive train will be smokeys in the near future.

haha i have them spread out between my house, my sons house and my friends shop.

the forester lives! got it running last night, sounds great. lots of power, and only a bit of smoke when it first started. so far everything is good, now to get some tires on it and get the GT back so i can rebuild the front end. she wants me to put the stereo in from her old civic, along with the sub i gave her for graduation. im gonna miss that sucker, sounds great.

well, i still get a bit of smoke when it first starts in the morning, which doesnt make a whole bunch of sense, i have good compression on all 4 cylinders now, as well as lo real leakdown. the PO did run this sucker for a couple months on 3 cylinders tho, so theres bound to be a ton of raw fuel and oil stuck all through the exhaust still. mebbe that is the cause.

the car is running great tho, going today to get it all registered in her name and such. so, ill be one less car in my stable.

hank had a bit of an adventure this weekend, my son took him out to sycamore creek and punched a hole in the oil pan. did a desert repair, jbweld covered with exhaust patch tape to get it home. its still holding so far, but i will have to replace the pan in the near future. he also smacked the exhaust around as well, either broke a bolt, cracked a pipe or separated a joint under there somewhere, i didnt want to look yet. ill get it up on a lift this week and see how much damage he created. i will need skid plates soon too, i suspect.

• 1 month later...

he bought a new oil pan, put it in and got it up and operating again without any pics, or even telling me he was doing it. gotta love that, haha. my son also went and bought a 2010 chevy silverado 4x4 right before xmas, so hank is mine to play with again.

forester still smokes a bit on start up, so i guess it will eventually need fixed. again. i have another full engine for that one tho (EJ253) so ill put it on a stand and start a full rebuild. she got her own tires this last week, put 215/65/16 on the wrx wheels that were on lefty. now lefty has rs25 wheels and pretty bad tires lol.

ive been working out of town consistently for a few months now, keeps me from posting as well as working on my own vehicles for now. we did manage to put a new crate LT1 back into my friends caprice classic this past weekend, only thing left to do is put the headers on and start the sucker up. hoping to get that done tonight! we built that car for his dad, with a lot of help from his dad. sometimes hindrance as well.

• 8 months later...

look what we bought yesterday. father-son project, has a blown engine. cheap enough to make it worth it just for the parts tho, even if the car ends up sucking bad the suspension is good, and can go on my other project

http://i68.tinypic.com/2rz48oz.jpg

look what we bought yesterday. father-son project, has a blown engine. cheap enough to make it worth it just for the parts tho, even if the car ends up sucking bad the suspension is good, and can go on my other project

http://i68.tinypic.com/2rz48oz.jpg

The only car in the 90's Subaru family that I haven't owned to date. I'm super jealous of that. I would have had a motor ready to go into it.

ya, smokey is in dire need of some lovin. pains me to see the car just sitting. his turn will be fun tho, lefty is getting suspension in the next few weeks (unless the noise i am starting to hear is a bearing starting to go), then the 2.2 out of smokey is going into the new toy, then the 2.5 hi compression for hank jr, then im building the jdm 205 for smokey. i also got a free 5mt trans and rear diff from a newer forester to rebuild and convert to rear wheel drive for him hehe

i am selling the civic coupe soon as well, need the space.

i dont know if anyone followed along with that LT1 build, but that damn car still isnt on the road. 3 optisparks later, we are pulling it for a warranty trade out. we have gone through 2 different ECUs, 3 different flashes and maps, ungodly amounts of sensor changes and all kinds of changes. its really been a devil car so far lol. i keep giving them ads for cheap LS1 engines i find lol. i also tried to convince them to put a rebuilt mid-80s 350 i found for 100 bucks with a carb instead of FI and they didnt want to. dad is stuck on the LT1

• 5 months later...
lefty is getting suspension in the next few weeks (unless the noise i am starting to hear is a bearing starting to go), then the 2.2 out of smokey is going into the new toy,

i am selling the civic coupe soon as well, need the space.

well, it is a bearing. lefty is parked for now, and the ej22 is getting pulled saturday to put into big ugly.

http://i68.tinypic.com/29ogal0.jpg

pulled the engine out of him wednesday.

my oldest bought a newer toyota taco, i let her trade in the civic coupe to help her out. i told them the blinking engine light and rough idle was from old fuel.

• 2 weeks later...
update: car runs great, but the transmission has issues. slips between 2nd and 3rd most times, and 4th gear doesnt seem to exist. ended up taking hank out for the camping trip this past weekend, he performed beautifully. even the chevy guys were impressed that we kept up with them on the trails they thought would kill my outback

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

so i bought this thing sight unseen as a totaled car with a H6 engine. turns out the insurance company totaled it out but never even popped the hood to see hy the coolant spewed. two clamps, a radiator hose and some coolant and i drove it home for 500 bucks haha!

http://i65.tinypic.com/2192fpc.jpg

im gonna keep it for a bit and clean it up. after taking it out to sycamore for a test run the first night i kind of really like it haha

but i will have to sacrifice a couple other cars to keep it i think...

im gonna keep it for a bit and clean it up. after taking it out to sycamore for a test run the first night i kind of really like it haha

but i will have to sacrifice a couple other cars to keep it i think...

That's kind of interesting actually, cause I absolutely hate my 3rd gen and would never trade it for the 2nd gen haha