LegacyGT.com

Twisty's Dumb Questions (aka Smokey's progress thread)

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

so i found a 95 L sedan with the front end pretty much toasted off, but the doors and back was perfect for 1100 bucks. by the time i secured funds and called it was sold. that would have been the 5mt, as well as the awd swap for smokey, as well as some engine repairs and new doors for my GT. i was bummed. also, there was a set of wrx wheels and tires here for 170, i waited until i got off work to contact the guy and they were gone as well. seems like everything i want to get for my cars is gone as soon as i decide to buy them. keep in mind, both ads were there for a while before i decided to buy them. the wheels/ tires were on there for 2 months, the parts car was there for a couple days. within hours of me deciding i want, they are gone. my luck really sucks this month.

what ive been up to is helping my son with finding his first vehicle tho. he is 16 and going to vo-tech school half a day for automotive tech. a bud of mine offered his project truck for a steal of a price, so we are going to pick it up saturday. 1972 C10 chevy truck. its ugly at the moment, has a i6 with a 3 spd manual trans with a beat up interior. but the body is straight, the bed is in good condition and it comes with a 91 vortec 5.7L and a th400 transmission. oh, and a dana 60 rear end. all for 500 bucks. im gonna get the dana in and run the i6 at first, dont want a 16 yr old to have more HP/ TQ than i do just yet.

http://imageshack.us/a/img837/2371/k9ml.jpg

i keep telling him how much work and hurt he is in for with this project, but he swears hes up to it.

1100 for most cars here is pretty cheap. the 2nd gen subarus are still pretty pricey here, i rarely see one listed for less than 2000. and 1100 for a car that has a good engine, trans and drive train, plus an intact interior as well as all the glass and doors isnt a bad price IMO.

http://imageshack.us/a/img10/2941/96t1.jpg

heres my sons new truck. pretty rough overall, but its a decent straight body, and we got a ton of crap with it. he hasnt left it alone except to sleep since we got it home saturday. hes bugging the shit out of me to go help him too, lol. i foresee a lot of teaching in the next few weeks.

• 4 weeks later...
so my GT had a radiator failure a week ago last friday. got the new radiator, put it in yesterday. burped the hell out of it, let it run. cooled it a bit, filled it again, burped the hell out of it again. test drive, got a mile before it was starting to climb up. it was at the H by the time i got it into the yard. pulled the burp screw, lots of steam. cracked the cap but the water was fairly cool to the touch still. maybe the thermostat isnt opening? seems like its not getting the best flow to me if the top of the rad on the thermostat side is barely warm but the bleeder side is steaming. any ideas? going to recover the coolant and slap in a subaru thermostat tonight and try again. hope that works.

Can't go wrong with Subaru thermostats and caps, the water is flowing though right? Don't know if you use oem or aftermarket water pumps but an experience with those had me take the front of the engine apart twice to fix it. Brand new one was defective..I was so mad. But it turned out ok with the second one, maybe a freak occurrence but credibility is an easy thing to lose with those types of parts.

i havent changed anything on this car yet, just got it back in may. i dont remember what kind of water pump was used. as for the water flowing through, i thought it was, but with it being cool on one side and steaming on the other im guessing it wasnt flowing too much. just hoping it isnt much heat damage, i dont have the funds to fix that right now.

ya, the PO dad was a mechanic, his bff was a subaru mechanic. they traded work on their cars. when i got it, it looked brand new, it was kept up very well. im gonna verify the HG receipts when i get home tho, just in case.

• 3 weeks later...
so twice now my daughter has had a CeL pop up in the last week or so. P0340. yay. i guess ill be tearing into that this weekend to see if its wiring or the actual sensor. car runs well so far, but both times she said it took her a few tries to get it started.

ok, so after doing the p0340 search here and finding next to no info n where it is located or anything, i went to the FSM. opened 50 or so pdf files and still havent found anything about it. i figured it would be in the electrical/ engine electrical section but was mistaken. then it occurred to me that i was using the 95 FSM i got for my wagon. is the location different from the 95 2.2L to the 96 2.5L motors? where is it located? i now know what color wires to look for, but not where to look on the engine. sigh.

• 1 month later...

so im at the point where i need to start looking at the AWD system on the GT. problem is, i have no idea what im doing with it. i want to do a drain and fill on all 3 parts, but it occurred to me that i dont even know howto check the diffs, let alone drain and fill them. anyone know of a decent guide to it? my search has been pretty fruitless so far.

that silly P0340 code is still popping up, a few times a week the kids have to pop the hood and wiggle the harness a few times to get the car running. i think its time to find a new sensor for that sucker as well.

• 4 months later...
look what i found last night! also, goin to to order new suspension for smokey (the wagon) tonight, im either going with kyb agx with the sti springs i already have, or the raceland coilovers. the coilovers are actually cheaper, i may go that way just to have the height adjustment. the wheels are in decent shape, but need to be repainted. the tires on them are yokohama yk580's, with a good amount of tread left on them. the kid i bought them off of (for 120 bucks) found the 17" sti wheels he wanted, his ride looked good.

271496848_2014-03-2721_46_39.thumb.jpg.6f7dc0ba642b50499ab752498c915430.jpg

Wow, 225's..what kind of tires are they?

Racelands aren't bad after they settle, just don't last very long. Been installing those on vw's a lot lately. Can count on them lasting a few years if your easy on them, but sh*t $500 isn't that bad.