LegacyGT.com

Let's see your stealth switch installs!

DeltaNu1142

The one closest to the ignition was for my backup camera. If I flicked the switch I could drive with the camera on permantly, as opposed to it only engaging when I put the car in reverse.

Yep, that's what I'm looking to do, as well.

The black and red switches glued to the side of that plastic panel, which would be right by my right knee when driving was to control these...

That is badass.

Tits mcgee

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I bought one of these ^. My plan is to install it where DoctorLGT put his knee switches. That should be easy to punch with my thumb if I drop my hand off the shifter. If I connect both + and C1 to the head unit, NC1 to my reverse lights, and NO1 to 12V (then - to GND), then the LED will light up only if I punch the switch or if I shift into reverse. Otherwise, the switch should be fairly invisible at only 1.5mm high & hidden.
Tits mcgee

The black and red switches glued to the side of that plastic panel, which would be right by my right knee when driving was to control these:

So you're the one... When I first happened upon the legacy at the dealership, I went home and this was the first ever video of the legacy I had ever seen lol.

The black and red switches glued to the side of that plastic panel, which would be right by my right knee when driving was to control these:

I would join the local SAR/EMS service if I could get flashy lights like that for my car :p

I would join the local SAR/EMS service if I could get flashy lights like that for my car :p

You can has flashy lights! But remember you are still required to follow all traffic laws, even with the lights on.

You can has flashy lights! But remember you are still required to follow all traffic laws, even with the lights on.

Well what's the point of having flashing lights then if all you get to do is drive like everyone else? :spin:

My OBD2 connector is connected to a Scangauge2. I do not need it anymore. I put a 3 position Latched/Off/Momentary rocker there.

That's pretty sweet! There's not James-Bond-ish hidden switch compartment in the 4th-gens, though.

I just got word from the Chinese seller, my camera is held up in customs, so they're sending me a new one... yet another delay...

Tits mcgee

That's pretty sweet! There's not James-Bond-ish hidden switch compartment in the 4th-gens, though.

I just got word from the Chinese seller, my camera is held up in customs, so they're sending me a new one... yet another delay...

here are my switch locations

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr151/thePipinator/random/switch1.jpg

modders -- Is there a how to install a switch thread? some of these are really well done. i'm just starting out trying to learn how to do these projects. can you some of you tell me what you're doing for a power source for these modifications? what circuit are you tapping to get power? i just want to hook up some lights under my hood so i have better lighting when working my car. i have most things planned out except where to tap into power so that the power will be available all the time (even when the car is off). any advice or links would be helpful. Cheers!

Well if you want constant power and you plan to install under the hood, why not tap directly off the positive on the battery? A ring terminal on the 10mm bolt that holds your terminal on would be a good start.

Some wire loom, a water proof switch and some heat shrink and solder and you'll be good to go for install. Most switches work by breaking the ground to the circuit.

Slammed more than your girlfriend.

Thanks for your reply.

I had thought about that. If i do run the wires directly to the battery, that wouldn't be too much power to the lights? it accepts 12v DC, but i don't know how much amperage it can accept.

I was going to run the wire(s) to run along with the windshield-whipper wires, in which case, i'd be right at the firewall where all the wires run into the car anyway, so i thought i might as well run it through the firewall and have switches inside.

Is there a better place for these questions? i feel bad to hijack this thread is there's a better place to get advice.

thanks again. Cheers.

• I Donated
The light will only draw the amperage it requires. Put a 10-amp inline fuse right next to the battery on the circuit, just in case there's a short. Or, find a circuit in the underhood fuse box that gets constant 12V and use and add-a-fuse on that, rather than putting a wire directly to the positive terminal.

awesome! thanks for the ideas and the tip about the fuse, as i've popped a few of them lately while trying to tinker w/ things (like i said, i'm just starting out and try to learn so i pop fuses occasionally). i think i have enough ideas to get to work this weekend.

much appreciated.

Cheers!

Learn to use relays. They're quite simple. Most of those switches seen in this topic, (at least the tiny ones), would be worthless for car accessories on their own. They operate relays which actually handle the current.
RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

• I Donated
Or just pick a switch that can handle enough current for the load.

Relays are still better for high-current applications. A relatively dim underhood light, or a backup camera, is not one of those applications.

BTW, I think I have found a way to switch things like power windows on and off without having the key in the ON position. I'm going to use the fusebox switch location for that.

• I Donated
Why not read the thread?

I think he was referring to bkn's proposed project. An underhood light can still be useful if, for example, a hose falls off on the side of the road and you have to fix it to get going again.

I think he was referring to bkn's proposed project. An underhood light can still be useful if, for example, a hose falls off on the side of the road and you have to fix it to get going again.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-88032-Protac-Tactical-Flashlight/dp/B003GXF9NQ/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338149523&sr=8-1-spell]Amazon.com: Streamlight ProTac 1AA Professional Tactical: Home Improvement[/ame]

Cheaper and more useful.

Also for my stealth switch, it's and indicator light/kill switch for my amp. I tapped it off the DC plug for power and ground. I didn't want to take any juice from my stereo. I would normally use a relay but this it's just to tell the amp the the stereo is on.

Archived