LegacyGT.com

Inlet Leak

paintpollz

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Mega Users
it's not as bad as byron says it is, really. it's just the 10mm bolts and a few hose-pulls and the manifold will lift enough for you to maneuver the inlet in/out

i should be ok i think. I'm not known to hicksta many things.

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

• Mega Users
the only two things that I've hicksta'd, was a caliper bolt, and, ironically, one of the coil pack bolts. I backed out the bolt and socket wrench to the sidewall. just imagine how i had to get outta that one.

Really all this talk about pulling the IM to swap an inlet is ludicrous. This is a OEM inlet. You can replace it without moving the IM. The only time I'd ever suggest pulling the IM is if your replacing it with a hard inlet like the APS unit.

Otherwise theres plenty of room to manuever the inlet with the IM bolted down.

Slammed more than your girlfriend.

Kevin, You may want to have some coolant ready incase you have to remove a couple of lines.

Remember not to over tighten the 8 long bolts that hold the TVG's to the head.

I put anti-sieze compound on mine when I installed them yesterday.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Mega Users
Kevin, You may want to have some coolant ready incase you have to remove a couple of lines.

Remember not to over tighten the 8 long bolts that hold the TVG's to the head.

I put anti-sieze compound on mine when I installed them yesterday.

thanks for the suggestion. I'll have some handy.

Hopefully, I'll just have to lift it up a little bit to be able to work on the inlet, and not have to remove too many lines.

Really all this talk about pulling the IM to swap an inlet is ludicrous. This is a OEM inlet. You can replace it without moving the IM. The only time I'd ever suggest pulling the IM is if your replacing it with a hard inlet like the APS unit.

Otherwise theres plenty of room to manuever the inlet with the IM bolted down.

I'm still think this is worth a shot first. If you need you can remove the PS pump to help get in there. The intake manifold is a job.

You can always loosen the manifold if you have to...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I've done a boost leak test like 50 times yesterday. Still haven't found any leaks. I was over boosting, Shamar lowered it down and said he knows i still have a leak. Any suggestions.

I've done a boost leak test like 50 times yesterday. Still haven't found any leaks. I was over boosting, Shamar lowered it down and said he knows i still have a leak. Any suggestions.

Maybe you want to start your own thread so this thread dosen't get side tracked. Thanks.

Kevin, Before you remove the intake manifold. I'd try removing the PS and may be the alternator. While putting the engine back together yesterday I was doing those items. They are easy to unbolt and just move off to the side. That will give you plenty of room to get the duct out.

Remember to leave that screw loose that holds the duct to the intake manifold while your trying to slide the duct on the turbo.

First thing I would do is spray the bolts on the adjusters with PB Blaster, make sure you get the threads that stick out the back of the adjusting bolt on the bottom left side of the alternator. Mine did snap in the alternator when I took it out. It may have been broken for a while. I didn't feel anything odd when I put the socket on it to remove it.

• Mega Users
I think i have a super small tear, bc im slow spooling and running lean at idle.

as chris said. Mine has a small leak/tear whatever you want to call it and boost has not been affected. But it does run like crap at idle.

• 1 month later...
  • Mega Users
Reviving.

How'd it go? What did you find out?

Ah yes, my apologies for not following up with this thred.

So after many attempts to find the leak on the inlet, I pretty much just gave up. After driving to the gas station with compressed air, hearing the air leak with my leak tester, but not able to find the leak, even after using all the various methods, it got very frusterating. And the motor being hot when I got into the gas station made it much more difficult as well. That's when I decided to say screw it, I'm gonna have to lift the IM and get in there. :rolleyes:

The inlet was leaking in 2 spots. Where it attached to the turbo, and the BPV return line. Both connections were very loose. Loose enough where slipped right off :confused:. Nobody has touched the IM before or these connections, that I'm aware of. I've owned the car since it was 3,400 miles old.

I ended up swapping the inlet out with the one unclemat sent me. Why, I'm not sure. I have my original inlet, if anyone wants it. Its in perfect working condition.

While I had the IM loose, I decided to change the TGV gaskets as they are prone for failure. I'm not sure if any of you remember some of my other threads, but that turned into a giant fiasco. Everything ended OK, and I successfully replaced the gaskets.

A bit of advice when servicing or changing the inlet, is to buy a set of small hose clamps and secure all the lines.

Archived