LegacyGT.com

Inlet Leak

paintpollz

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
oh man. I unloaded a half can of carb cleaner all over the inlet, over every connection. no luck....not sure what to do from here.

Take a deep breath, step back, start over and think about what could be wrong. It's most likely something you added to the car...?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Mega Users
Take a deep breath, step back, start over and think about what could be wrong. It's most likely something you added to the car...?

i was running thru that last night. The aftermarket parts with any significance are the FMIC and BPV. But don't you think that I've directly located the part with the issue, just not where on the part the problem is?

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

• Mega Users

the difficult thing here is, and Chris please chime in if you can, the logs are showing the leak to be relatively insignificant. The only have for me to even physically recognize it is thru the LV and pumping compressed air inside. and I can make it go away by pushing or pulling on the intake. :confused: I Therefore, I think the reason that the carb cleaner isn't working, is because the crack, or whatever leak, is so small, the carb cleaner can't get inside there. The only way to open it up is to push and pull on the inlet, or blow compressed air thru it (why didn't I push or pull on it when I was spraying the carb cleaner on it:nono:.

I really don't know much about the inlet on these cars, all the vacuum lines connected to it, etc. So it makes it very difficult for me to make any sort of reasonable diagnosis here. The fact that these inlets are reinforced and the turbo never being off has got me casually distraught.

the leak was significant, you were running lean and your closed loop fuel trims suggested a post-maf pre-turbo leak, your ECU was trying to correct and was adding 15% more fuel at idle because air was being sucked in after the maf, annd the ecu didn't expect it.

• Mega Users
the leak was significant, you were running lean and your closed loop fuel trims suggested a post-maf pre-turbo leak, your ECU was trying to correct and was adding 15% more fuel at idle because air was being sucked in after the maf, annd the ecu didn't expect it.

well then I'm stumped. the IMs coming off and I'm buying unclemats inlet.

:mad:

So I've been working with Chris on a few of my maps and LVs. I just put my stock airbox back in, and I pulled an LV. It showed another post turbo leak, so I hooked the boost leak tester back up.

With the boost leak test in and pumping in compressed air, there immediately showed signs of a leak. as I put my hand towards the front of the IM, I could feel air. But I couldnt identify where it was coming from. All the hoses are connected. What I did do was move the inlet hose back and fourth and the leak get better and then worse, depending on which way you moved the inlet. I'm tyring to show it in these pics.

when I push on it, it gets worse.

[ATTACH]118004[/ATTACH]

when I pull on it, it gets better, and will hold more pressure.

[ATTACH]118005[/ATTACH]

this is really your biggest nightmare when it comes to vac leaks. I tried to pour water over the connections to help locate, but still no luck. clearly, its coming from underneath the IM, and I can't identify where. I feel like its either where the inlet attaches to the turbo, or the other line that connects in from the BPV. there are no loose lines, they are all connected. The turbo is stock, and there has been no turbo swap that would compromise the inlet. I feel like there has to be a crack somewhere, as when I pump compressed air in, I can push on the inlet and it gets worse, and I can pull on the inlet, and it gets better. and is the only route to pull the IM? its so frusterating that I can't find it. it doesn't help that I dont have an air compressor and I have to drive to the gas station for air. by the time I get there its hotter than hell under the hood, and that makes it difficult to find where the air is coming from.

thanks guys. please let me know if you have any suggestions.

So your saying the leak is around the two elbow flex hose from the air box, or the intel tube to the turbo ?

IMO it's pretty hard to move the inlet tube to the turbo because of that bolt at the top of the picture.

Just walking thru this again...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

not a bad idea now. you can go over it with a fine tooth comb, and when reinstalling all the hoses, use some zipties to make them tight. sometimes hoses get hard as they age causing a loose seal sometimes

• Mega Users
So your saying the leak is around the two elbow flex hose from the air box, or the intel tube to the turbo ?

Just walking thru this again...

Thanks Byron. The inlet doesn't like to move because of that bolt, so Im putting a decent amount of force in to move it. The air is flowing from under the IM. I can feel it where the circled part is. Originally, that led me to believe it was one of the hoses there. But where the arrow is, between the two IM chambers, if you tuck you hand down/in there, you can feel it there too (now we are getting closer to the turbo). Right there, is a tiny vacuum line that's t'd off from the wastegate actuator that I thought might be the culprit. but I sprayed that sucker down and nother happened.

now if you trace back to the beginning. The inlet holds pressure a when you push or pull it a certain way (cant remember which). That's why I really want to believe there is a tear somewhere near the turbo. Maybe where the hard plastic turns into rubber near the turbo.

• Mega Users
not a bad idea now. you can go over it with a fine tooth comb, and when reinstalling all the hoses, use some zipties to make them tight. sometimes hoses get hard as they age causing a loose seal sometimes

ya mang.

Thanks Byron. The inlet doesn't like to move because of that bolt, so Im putting a decent amount of force in to move it. The air is flowing from under the IM. I can feel it where the circled part is. Originally, that led me to believe it was one of the hoses there. But where the arrow is, between the two IM chambers, if you tuck you hand down/in there, you can feel it there too (now we are getting closer to the turbo). Right there, is a tiny vacuum line that's t'd off from the wastegate actuator that I thought might be the culprit. but I sprayed that sucker down and nother happened.

now if you trace back to the beginning. The inlet holds pressure a when you push or pull it a certain way (cant remember which). That's why I really want to believe there is a tear somewhere near the turbo. Maybe where the hard plastic turns into rubber near the turbo.

If its the turbo inlet you should have a good view of the turbo inlet with your FMIC set up.

Can you reach around the screw clamp and feel any thing. My old hose was torn there but didn't effect anything. Is just replaced it because of everything else I'm doing.

When you try to remove the old tube, that electrical connector slides towards the drivers side of the car to get it off the tube after you removed the wire connector from it. You'll understand when it comes time...

• Mega Users
If its the turbo inlet you should have a good view of the turbo inlet with your FMIC set up.

Can you reach around the screw clamp and feel any thing. My old hose was torn there but didn't effect anything. Is just replaced it because of everything else I'm doing.

When you try to remove the old tube, that electrical connector slides towards the drivers side of the car to get it off the tube after you removed the wire connector from it. You'll understand when it comes time...

ya i have a good view but I've only been feeling down there when its hot. I will try to check it out after work

• Mega Users
if you feel the air blowing out, then, yea.

yea.

well I cant tell when I'm close to the turbo cuz its so damn not. What I think is going on, is its blow from the turbo towards the front of the inlet and rushing out at the spots that i highlighted in the picture.

Before you pull the intake manifold, that is a big job, you may want to remove the power steering pump, lay it on the fender and try and slide the tube out.

I was thinking a couple of hours ago, yea, I lost sleep of this, that you may not be ready to lift the intake manifold off the engine.

Thinking more about the intake, you may need to disconnect the coil packs from the heads, and a few other electrical connectors. It is a big job.

• Mega Users
Before you pull the intake manifold, that is a big job, you may want to remove the power steering pump, lay it on the fender and try and slide the tube out.

I was thinking a couple of hours ago, yea, I lost sleep of this, that you may not be ready to lift the intake manifold off the engine.

Thinking more about the intake, you may need to disconnect the coil packs from the heads, and a few other electrical connectors. It is a big job.

You lost sleep?! Yeesh, now you are making me really nervous.

I have no choice but to pull the IM. The inlet needs to be replaced. Chris has a nice DIY thread, and I will reference that. I think I should be ok. I just ordered the gaskets yesterday. I bought unclemats inlet which should be here by monday/tuesday.

I'm almost certain there is a very small rip where the inlet connects to the turbo. Replacement is inevitable.

Archived