LegacyGT.com

Hand Brake Shortening?

I'm not the tallest guy around, and I'm sure there are plenty of drivers here taller than I. Anyone else annoyed by the length of our hand brakes? Perhaps I don't "sit like a lady." Posture aside, I'm tired of my right leg rubbing on the brake. In the space of three months its developed some play, and I don't want it to get worse, though I don't think I'm hurting anything. Did a search, didn't find much. Can I shorten it? Are there aftermarket hand brakes out there? Thanks.

You can pop up the cover for it and tighten the nut on the adjustment for the cable. That will make the handle pull the brakes quicker and shorter.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I can only imagine this is an issue of girth and not height but if I am mistaken please clairify OP. My leg does bump the brake occasionally but it does not wear a mark in my leg the way wicker seats do my ass. Just wondering.

I purposely prop my leg on the ebrake handle when I have the cruise on, haha

This what I do too. It makes it very comfortable to rest my right arm on my right leg there and my hand fells right where the cruise control lever is, I wish my 09 had the same set up.

Just got to work after my DD of 35 miles, most of it on the highway with the cruise set. My right leg rest against the e-brake handle, I don't even notice it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I can only imagine this is an issue of girth and not height but if I am mistaken please clairify OP. My leg does bump the brake occasionally but it does not wear a mark in my leg the way wicker seats do my ass. Just wondering.

Correct. Though I'm not super-wide either. Suppose its just something I'll have to deal with.

Correct. Though I'm not super-wide either. Suppose its just something I'll have to deal with.

I think the handle has been basically the same place for a very long time. I think my 98 and 00 were both the same.

Pretty sure I must be wider than you. After driving the XT yesterday pretty sure I rub the ebrake and just have enough padding not to notice.:lol:

^^^ LOL!

Its just one of those things, you know? It was actually something that I noticed almost immediately after getting into the driver's seat for the first time. That and the too-far-forward shifter:).

I think a letter writing campaign is in order. I'm not sure to whom we'll send it, or what it might say, but pants-ripping just won't do, man. This...aggression will not stand. man.

I'm not the tallest guy around, and I'm sure there are plenty of drivers here taller than I. Anyone else annoyed by the length of our hand brakes? Perhaps I don't "sit like a lady." Posture aside, I'm tired of my right leg rubbing on the brake. In the space of three months its developed some play, and I don't want it to get worse, though I don't think I'm hurting anything. Did a search, didn't find much. Can I shorten it? Are there aftermarket hand brakes out there? Thanks.

How much shorter to you want it. If you can send me the E-Brake handle I might be able help you out. I'm a welder\ fabricator for over 20yrs. Cost you nothing ,but the E-Brake handle & shipping it to me. I'm up for the challenge if you are.:)

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

• Moderators
What annoys me is when the ebrake goes in my pant pocket when I climb in the car. I ripped one pair of work pants that way. True story. No fish sauce.

I did that once on a transport shuttle! granted, it was an armrest and the armrest was on the inside of the aisle, so closer to where you "enter" the seat as opposed to the ebrake which is on the other side.

Either way, pocket seam ripped, recently had the pants repaired. Good pants are hard to find :)

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

What annoys me is when the ebrake goes in my pant pocket when I climb in the car. I ripped one pair of work pants that way. True story. No fish sauce.

Pull your pants up and wear a belt. And get rid of that stupid flat brim hat while you are at it.

03silva-saggy-tmagArticle.jpg.99a4a8e1b6768a336a7589162ee9ced1.jpg

It is still ugly.

Stick one of these between your leg and the parking brake handle:

3545962.jpg.ae0ee6f2f9a9b9a60deb19cc219eb8e3.jpg

It is still ugly.

Archived