LegacyGT.com

The Official SMOG Thread

I forgot, if you set the AP to stock map, you will also reset the monitors, they are things the OBD II diagnostics sytem checks. Some don't set unless a certain amount of miles have passed, some require the car to sit over night. I think there are 12 or so and our cars. 2005 or newer vehicles require at least seven or eight to set for the car to pass. If you load a different map, you need to drive 100 miles or so, with varied driving, some freeway and some city roads, let the car sit over night, drive again in the morning 30 minutes or so to get it warm and take it in. I passed the Smog test with flying colors with a stage II tune and with the CNT downpipe two years ago, but the same shop now said no no to my downpipe, I guess they werent to familiar with the car then.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 9 months later...

Thanks! Any thoughts on running with stock dp for a few days?

Been running a stage 2 E-TUNE for a while...

but flashed a real time map to ECO mode for smog with stock downpipe.

Might be a day or two before I get the COBB downpipe back on.

Can I jump it up to "stock married" OR stage 1.... or leave in ECO mode...

I was told somewhere NOT to run stage 2 with stock downpipe...

but this ECO mode is killing me... SOOOO SLOWWWW... feels like a NON-TURBO subaru. :)

• 2 months later...

Just went for a smog test, sniffer is still there.

I've attached the result. Nothing has changed, engine wise, since the last time I did the smog. I had a BOV on the car for a long time, it backfires, but I guess that didn't kill the cat. Replaced with stock BPV prior to test. They bitched a bit about the t-fitting for the boost gauge, and my CARB legal AEM intake...

Similar numbers to 2 years ago.

1437281878_Smog2014.jpg.f4db3914afaea7b78b83ee387162836d.jpg

• 2 months later...
It needs to get hot. Usually a good long drive does it. You can see in the test results that as the car got warmer it got cleaner. The numbers are better at the 2500rpm test. So after the car idled for a few minutes and then they ran it at 2500rpm for 30 seconds the cats were more efficient.

Yeah it appears that's exactly what it was, I went back and drove the route I used yesterday to 'warm up' the car and it was about a 10 min drive. Just too short to really get it hot enough.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

• 3 weeks later...

I got mine done last weekend and it failed. I have a Perrin Catted DP and a Stage 2 tune. The shop still did the sniffer test, passed visual, but failed the idle HCs.

I compared my stock tune to the one I am using and I do not see the modded tune having any idle settings different than stock, so for passing the idle test I don't think changing back to stock tune would make a difference. If I can get the car to idle at higher RPMs like 850, and get the AFR to higher than 14.7 without it stalling, it might pass.

I did some logging and found my idle is currently at around 14.3 AFR. I am close to needing an oil change, so I should get that done and the air filter replaced as well.

This is of course to avoid putting the stock DP, which I don't have anymore, back in.

1679558691_ScreenShot2014-07-31at10_38_36AM.png.75284dd7358344c864ed996c6e2c831f.png

One of the things about Cali smog testing - always change your oil (unless it's only a few miles used) - before you go in for the smog. Hydrocarbons build-up in the oil and they'll amp up the output which the sniffer detects. That, and make darn sure the cats are good and hot before testing. Cold cats aren't as efficient.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

His cat is cold or going out.

Besides the fact that he fails visual and the tech is in violation of the law. No hi flow cat is legal in Cali. It is a violation of federal law to remove or modify any cat in working condition if the car is newer than 10 years old. So, technically no down pipe is legal in all 50 states as it is a violation of federal law.

I got mine done last weekend and it failed. I have a Perrin Catted DP and a Stage 2 tune. The shop still did the sniffer test, passed visual, but failed the idle HCs.

I compared my stock tune to the one I am using and I do not see the modded tune having any idle settings different than stock, so for passing the idle test I don't think changing back to stock tune would make a difference. If I can get the car to idle at higher RPMs like 850, and get the AFR to higher than 14.7 without it stalling, it might pass.

I did some logging and found my idle is currently at around 14.3 AFR. I am close to needing an oil change, so I should get that done and the air filter replaced as well.

This is of course to avoid putting the stock DP, which I don't have anymore, back in.

Will E85 help???

His cat is cold or going out.

Besides the fact that he fails visual and the tech is in violation of the law. No hi flow cat is legal in Cali. It is a violation of federal law to remove or modify any cat in working condition if the car is newer than 10 years old. So, technically no down pipe is legal in all 50 states as it is a violation of federal law.

next year my car is 10!...and i still cant use a highflow... :lol::mad:

"Build" Thread <--Link

(OLD) '05 EJ255 now a '13 EJ257 Bottom End w/D25 heads (NEW)

Forever Slow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived