LegacyGT.com

The Official SMOG Thread

LGT wagon

5mt

- High flow catted CNT downpipe

- Cattless uppipe kind forget brand but I'm pretty sure its invidia

- Cobb AP stage2 map

- 2.2K ohm resistor mod for the EGT sensor

- Stock air box (took out my K&N for the smog check)

It had been driven fairly hard for 10-15 mins b4

Passed visual no prob

Tech said it is running rich???

Gotta get this thing to pass asap me reg is up ina day or 2

Any ideas??

Could I use an additive to put in the gas tank?

Use the AP??? Custom tune?

Cheers

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m253/almo4u/4dd609bb-9b71-4f04-a32e-7078507a025c_zps95f79c15.jpg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awe man!!! I really don't want to have to take the DP off!! I honestly cant see me having time in the next few weeks work is crazy right now :confused:

Visual was fine and he won't look again.

Is there no magic solution I can dump in the fuel tank to make it pass?

On another note is my car running rich?

Cheers

Try Guaranteed to Pass. I've never tried it and know nothing about it, but if you're looking for a quick fix, this one claims to help.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/CRC-05063-Guaranteed-Emissions-Formula/dp/B000CIPUR8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top]Also on Amazon[/ame].

Make sure you report back for the benefit of the community.

You can also petition the DMV for an extension - to get your vehicle smog-legal. Takes some of the stress off getting the registration done before it expires.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

That reminds me - pay the registration even if you haven't passed smog to avoid late fees. You won't have valid reg for driving/parking on public roads until the smog requirement is satisfied, but at least you can prevent late fees from kicking in.

Previously, you could pay all registration fees and taxes, and then drive for ~30 days or until you got your car smogged, whichever was the shorter period.

Sounds like now that you can't drive your vehicle, after you register your car, if it doesn't pass smog? Exception, only drive it to get smogged?

I don't have an answer for you, I'm not familiar with all the details. I just wanted to point out that you don't have to have the emissions requirement satisfied in order to pay the fees. Many people would assume that you're stuck paying late fees if you don't get your smog check taken care of in time.

To put it another way, if you don't smog your car, your registration expires, even if you've paid your fees and it becomes illegal to for it to be on public property. I don't know if there's any grace period or not.

Most of the time you can drive 3-6 months on expired tags without being hassled for it. That being said if you get pulled over for something else and ticketed you will also probably get one for incomplete registration also.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

I had an 87 Jeep once that would not pass smog for whatever reason. I paid all the registration fees and they gave me a 30-day sticker (which can be extended - but you have to go back to the DMV) and that sticker goes on the side or rear window.

I had stuck it the back window, and it baked off in the SoCal sun, which was why the CHiP pulled me over for expired tags. When I lifted the tailgate there was the smog sticker and he let me go - but suggested I tape it to the side window instead. He said they fell off less on the sides...go figure.

Only gettin back on this now today. Work has been nuts,

I'm gonna check the fee thing I think my missus paid the fees to avoid late penalties(gotta check on this), but still gotta pass that smog.

@ truewhiteboy I have a CNT high flow catted down pipe.

I am thinking now its my old air filter!!! I was in such a rush the last day i just chucked it on. I took it out this morn and it looks trashed and clogged I didn't think it would make toooo... much difference!! Waitin for one to come in at O'Reilly this afternoon.

Could this air filter be the culprit?

I have read most people with a gutted UP and a highflow catted DP pass no prob on S2 map. This was the whole point of going with theses parts!!

Say a freekin prayer to the SMOG gods!!!

Two things I always did to prep for Cali smog-tests. Change the oil to make sure there's no excess unburnt fuel (HCs) in the oil that can translate to higher HC emission, and change the air filter to a new filter to make sure it's getting the maximum amount of air into the combustion cycle - results in better burn, and less emissivity.

How warm is the car prior to testing? 10-15 minutes is not enough. Have you checked for post turbo leaks? If you note you are barely passing on HC as well. Might just need to drive it more and get it good and hot before testing.

^This is true. We have seen cars pass with a CNT downpipe in the past. But... Also note that there is NO downpipe legal in the state of California except OEM. No hi flow cat is legal in California (since 2009). I dont care that the paper work states "passed" on visual. The tech is in the wrong and can easily lose his license for passing the car on visual inspection.

If anyone wants to dive into some official reading on California catalytic converters, the "Aftermarket Catalytic Converters" page at the California Air Resources Board is a good place to start.

Here are prices I looked up at subarugenuineparts.com for OEM cats on a 2005 Legacy Turbo w/ manual trans:

Exhaust system, Catalytic converter

Legacy/Outback, 2.5L, w/Turbo, Pre Converter, Manual Trans, From 2/1/05

List Price : $749.25

Your Price : $703.84

Legacy/Outback, 2.5L, w/Turbo, Front Converter, Manual Trans, From 2/1/05

List Price : $563.41

Your Price : $481.16

Legacy/Outback, 2.5L, w/Turbo, Rear Converter, From 4/1/05

List Price : $372.87

Your Price : $318.43

You can replace an OEM cat with aftermarket (approved). But that does not mean you can replace the pipe and use what ever you want.

You can legally remove a dead cat and replace it. Mag-Moss Act covers that. But cat used must be state approved and pipe can not be modified. Meaning you can not use a bellmouth pipe, you can not use 1 cat when there were originally 2. You can not use a hi flow cat. An aftermarket downpipe (even with 2 approved cats) is not legal because it has not been reviewed or tested by CARB. That review and test would cost at least $65k.

An 05 has 3 cats. 1 in up pipe and 2 in down pipe. They must all be there to pass visual (legally).

Two years ago, I passed with my CNT downpipe back when I was stage II, no exhaust, just downpipe and COBB OTS 91 oct Cali tune. Passed the sniffer and my downpipe was overlooked during the visiual inspection, they didn't even look at the downpipe. He almost put the car on the dyno and I had to remind him it was AWD. Now the same place different TECH sent me walking when he saw the CNT downpipe. He was cool about it and not a jerk at all, he actually looked it up to see if he could find a CARB number for me. But he said put the stock downpipe on and come back. So looks like i have a project. Luckely I have all the stock parts.

• 2 weeks later...

Screw it I'm just gonna put the stock DP back on I think!! FOr the test!

The tech noticed the CNT racing logo on the DP and told me take it out!!!!

Will I need to get 4 new gaskets now? 2 for turbo-DP and 2 for DP to exhaust? Or could I use the existing Ones just for the test and get new ones for when I put my DP back in? Where can I get cheap I ones??

This blows!!!!

I presume I set the AP to stock map?

Cheers

Stock downpipe, stock injectors, stage 1 COBB OTS, drove 100 miles, took to smog station, Bamn test complete. PASS PASS PASS. Very easy things to take off and put back on. On the plus side one of my 740 injectors had a pinch in small o-ring possibly causing fuel to pass by, it seemed to be running really rich, so ill see when i slap it all back together and see what happens.

Archived