LegacyGT.com

Initial Review - Koni's + Whiteline LCA Bushings + Cobb Sways

JoeFromPA

Update: I've put ~600-800 miles on this setup since installation and had it aligned ~20 hard-driven miles ago.

Alignment specs: Caster 6.0 right and left (Yes, I know this sounds low - it was the only amount of caster that the subaru technician, a forum member, could get even across both sides). Toe - 0. Camber -.5 degrees front right and left, -.6 degrees rear right and left.

This is right in line with what I wanted, FYI.

Tires - 35 PSI all around

Koni's - One full turn from full soft.

Steering: Steering is now perfect. Despite what the alignment specs look like, caster is definitely up. The car is now more geared towards straight-line stability and less upon initial turn in. Re-centering of the wheel is more pronounced, which is nice. The steering gained modest heft. Also, my bump steer is pretty much gone....my alignment must've been really off + the bushings breaking in.

Driving feel: The car now feels more european. It turns in with solidness. It's lost it's hyperactiveness it had right after the install. It wants to center and drive straight. It turns in very progressively, first ever so slightly resisting, then diving into the turn. It's very nice feel.

Handling: Superb. Controlled. Best comparison is a stock 3-series with sport package, although with less body roll thanks to the sways.

Ride quality: Has gotten alot better. NVH from the bushings is probably at stock or slightly elevated levels, but really tough to discern anymore. One full turn from full soft gives nice level of ride quality on all surfaces. I would now place this as better than stock - firmer, but more controlled, with very little actual harshness and less frequent bottoming out/bump stop impact.

Hope this helps!

Joe

I mean no offense when I say that. What I mean is that you are buying disparate parts made by multiple vendors and not designed together, and applying them to a system that works in concert.

Like, you buy a set of racecomp engineering coilovers. They are springs & struts built together and with RCE they've been (supposedly) adjusted specifically to the Legacy.

See what I mean?

FYI, "the most accepted combo" on alot of forums tend to be coilovers. Then you put them on your daily driver and realize they are meant for something else :)

Just my observations...

Another update: I've realized one interesting trait of the suspension. At low speeds, it's a bit stiffer than stock. This is where the ride quality would be, I would say, worse than stock.

At higher speeds (40+ mph) it's much smoother than stock - minor road imperfections are smoothed over. Ones that cause body movement are very well damped and controlled. Ride quality is very nice.

I've been realizing that I come away with a different reaction depending upon where my driving is done and realized it's speed related.

i wish i had the same results- i had epics with koni along with whiteline lca and the ride was rough. tried every setting on the koni. note i have 225-4018's.

i live in pot hole city :mad: i swapped out and switched back to my stock springs and it rode slightly better. main problem is the lca's i would not recommend them at all for daily driving. i want these out bad! prior to the lca's epic and koni were comfortable, better than my KW set up. --

i wish i had the same results- i had epics with koni along with whiteline lca and the ride was rough. tried every setting on the koni. note i have 225-4018's.

i live in pot hole city :mad: i swapped out and switched back to my stock springs and it rode slightly better. main problem is the lca's i would not recommend them at all for daily driving. i want these out bad! prior to the lca's epic and koni were comfortable, better than my KW set up. --

That's weird, cause we use the WL LCAs on all our Legacies that need them replaced (almost a wear item here in NJ). Even the soccer moms don't complain of the LCA bushings.

-Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/141039922.jpg%5Dhttp://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.

Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

How many turns from soft to stiff is it? I'm currently at a turn from stiff and 3/4 turn on the rear. Seems like you guys have the comfort one set so I may try that for my next longer drive. I do Have the solid Perrin psrs instead of the poly bushings you guys have installed.

How many turns from soft to stiff is it? I'm currently at a turn from stiff and 3/4 turn on the rear. Seems like you guys have the comfort one set so I may try that for my next longer drive. I do Have the solid Perrin psrs instead of the poly bushings you guys have installed.

Oh, yeah we have changed out 1/2 dozen of the solid ones due to the nvh of them. The custys like the whiteline or avo poly ones we put in for them.

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpghttp://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/141039922.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.

Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.2971 | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Another update: I've realized one interesting trait of the suspension. At low speeds, it's a bit stiffer than stock. This is where the ride quality would be, I would say, worse than stock.

At higher speeds (40+ mph) it's much smoother than stock - minor road imperfections are smoothed over. Ones that cause body movement are very well damped and controlled. Ride quality is very nice.

This is partly the Konis and partly the bushings. The Konis are great, but there is a particular kind of sharp-edged bump that is more noticeable with them on. Except for that they are smoother than stock... small price to pay.

I think all poly bushings are going to transmit more shock to the frame than rubber does. I'm waiting for some GrpN bushings to arrive to replace the WL front and Powerflex rear poly bushings, to fit the alloy control arms I sourced.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I think the bushings also need to break-in a bit (maybe the struts too). 2k miles on them now and each time I drive it (usually a few hundred miles apart) it's a bit better riding.

The handling and steering are out of this world good - this is literally how this car should've come factory. I'm going to put on some fresh tires come wintertime with good comments on ride quality (I'm sure my current tires are hardened up) and I should be very satisfied.

If I were a more capable DIYer on a budget, I'd get the Koni's (under $500 when on sale IIRC) and a rear sway bar ($150-200) and an alignment ($100) and call it a day for $750-800 in suspension mods. The sway bar bushings, kartboy endlinks, and whiteline LCA bushings I have are more maintenance mods - things that were shot that needed to be replaced and don't need to be a "While I'm in there" job.

I think the bushings also need to break-in a bit (maybe the struts too). 2k miles on them now and each time I drive it (usually a few hundred miles apart) it's a bit better riding.

I bet it's more likely the normalization effect.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
+1 on an update.

I PM'd Joe a few days ago and this was what he had to say:

Just saw your msg. Koni's are working out well. Sweet spot is somewhere between 50-75% soft, or about 1/2 turn from full soft. I do not like the whiteline LCA bushings with the Koni's and wish I had not done them. My ride quality has gone down a good amount. Alot more thumping, the chassis looseness is much more amplified, more noise, etc.

The steering quality is phenomenal, it handles amazingly well and with such confidence, and the way hte rear end tucks into a turn is how it should be. But I would just do the Koni's - bang for the buck is there.

I'd also point out I am running the Koni's on my car. I've got no sways, and stock springs. I ran the Rallitek springs for a while and while it was ok it had to much spring rate and to stiff for day to day drives around bumpy downtown roads and stuff for me and the wife.

I love the Koni's on stock springs. I have them set to 3 ticks and its pretty firm and contols the squat, dive, and turn-in great. I think a set of slightly stiffer sways would make it perfectly level in the corners, but this is fine for street use as is. I don't plan to make an adjustment other then this. I am already stage2 and feel the car is great. I wouldn't change a thing for street use. It's to bad that Subaru didn't sell the car with this setup in the states. I'd highly recommend anyone get a set of Koni's and call it a day. If you really like to flog it or track it, you'll be wise to get a set of sways.

Joe

This is with stock springs right? I've noticed that to with mine. I have it set at 3 ticks and around downtown roads it is quite a bit more firm then stock (perfectly acceptable for a GT car) but at highway speeds it is fine. I think this is because the controls on the shocks adjust the dampening and the compression rate is mostly static. This would contribute to what we feel I would bet.

I've been realizing that I come away with a different reaction depending upon where my driving is done and realized it's speed related.

I Whitelined the crap out my car and then saw this thread, and was a little worried maybe it would be too stiff or too noisy.

Couple thousand miles later and no complaints (already had the Konis, springs, the SB's, Tires, etc). Roads are pretty crappy here compared to everywhere else.

Suspension:

Rallitek Sport Springs Legacy GT & Spec B 2005-2009

Koni Subaru Legacy GT Sport Absorbers – Externally Adjustable

Whiteline Front Roll Center Adjustment Kit

Whiteline Steering Rack Bushing Kit

Whiteline Front Inner Control Arm Bushing Kit

Whiteline Camber Adjustment Kit

Whiteline Anti Lift/Caster Kit

Perrin 22mm Front Sway Bar

Perrin 22mm Rear Sway Bar

IAG Performance Alignment

Whiteline Rear Differential Mount Inserts