LegacyGT.com

CAN I BE SAFE WITHOUT A TUNE for a lil bit???

boostej

Im building my car right now(new internals) because i had ringland failure and i think my turbo crapped out on me as well. im putting on a stock location atp gtx3076 internal wastegate. my question is can i run my car on a stage 1 or 2 accesport map during break in of the engine with that turbo, with out changing anything tune wise, i would keep the stock injectors in and stay outa too much boost and no wot. i will eventully get it tuned at ams after 500 miles or so but i dont wanna go there to get a break in tune and then go back for the final tune. expensive!!! please help me, let me know what you guys think.

I think he's talking about breaking in the engine while that turbo is on.

In an ideal world, it shouldn't be a big issue. But if you ever do go past the danger point for whatever variety of reasons, you may run into an expensive repair. A stage 1 or 2 map may not necessarily make it safer than a stock map, either.

If you already have an Accessport, get your tuner to send you a zero boost basemap for break-in you can use until you go for a full tune with your full set of upgrades, fuel etc. They might ask you for a deposit on the tune to send the map but it's worth doing this way.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Leave the flapper loose? Yes, since you probably have something like a 1bar actuator.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

best to spend the money on a tune vs not running one
Yep, spending all that money on turbos and engine parts only to skimp on a couple hundred bucks for a tune? :spin:

Proper tune may even have saved the ringlands in the first place....

You'll be fine if you stay out of boost. You'll probably be fine even up to wastegate boost, though I'm not 100% certain. My ATP 3076's first few miles were on what was basically just a stage-2 tune, and wastegate boost, I just don't remember whether I retarded timing as well.

If I remember right, I had a hose running straight from the compressor nipple to the wastegate actuator, but I might have zero'd the max WGDC instead, I don't remember for sure.

Anyway I had 9-10 pounds of boost. Peak power was roughly the same as with the stage-2 tune, though of course it came on much later.

IMHO you would be wise to disconnect the wastegate solenoid from the flapper so you'll run little to no boost till you can get properly tuned. A GTX3076 flows way more CFM at the same boost level compared to the stock VF40. Go compare the flow maps if you don't believe me. You WILL run lean and hurt your engine if you try to run a VF40 tune with that GTX3076.

Archived