LegacyGT.com

Dyno Tuners in Boston Area

pfoyle

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes I get it, but I understand your clear bias towards a facility simply because they've done a car before, keep saying it and a tuner will never advance their skill level. Conversely, it's humorous that EFI just recently started tuning bmw's, years after bren has been. It works both ways. Both take on new challenges.

Clearly I did and the rest of us know where you're coming from.

Yeah, Sweden... shifty Swedes... :rolleyes:

Look BDII, if the garages were located next to eachother and charging the same price, I would choose EFI for the name and peace of mind... but EFI is 3 hours away... that's not insignificant.

And at this point the appointment is made, and won't be changed... so as Mom used to say: "If you don't have anything nice to say, kindly stfu." :eek:;) (she was ahead of her time)

Not sure why this conversation heads south so quickly... OP asked for MA tuners, that were closer to him than EFI. Why does everyone get so angry!?

Every one has their own take and opinion on things. If Bren was blowing up cars left and right, he wouldn't be in business. Same with EFI. They are two reputable shops, that have a ton of good feedback.

Also, FWIT, not everyone has a 'perfect' experience at EFI.... And yes, im sure the same goes for just about any tuner.

I've was tuned by both shops in question within weeks of each other. Efi was 1hr away And Bren was 2.5hrs away. (another thread)

Efi tuned my car and I drove off. I drove for 2 weeks and decided to try another tuner. Car just wasn't what I expected. Told Bren I didn't care if it didn't make a single additional horsepower. Chris at efi had told me "I tried everything and this is what it will make. I moved the timing all over the place and 306hp is it. These BNR turbos just aren't very good".

Thankfully my goal Was only 300hp so I was pleased. Car just wasn't predictable and it was frustrating. Getting it to amaze you required an act of god or a stroke of luck. Bren said he could address my complaints and he was confident I would be ecstatic after we went on our final test drive.

Arrived at Brenn tuning and the car put down within 3hp of the efi Dyno plot. Let Bren work his magic and I was making 350hp on less boost and it drove much more to my liking. Bren actually said he could make more power safely but since driveability was my only request he was just going to stay at 350 unless I felt otherwise. Car runs perfect, no knock at all. (didn't have knock on efi tune either).

Bottom Line.. While neither shop is likely to disappoint (I'm just picky) you will be very happy with your choice. And to add to it I'm getting better mpg on the Bren tune by a little bit.

Bren even followed up with me to make sure it was everything I expected seeing as I drove 5hrs and was paying for my second tune in a matter of weeks.

Maybe Cobb just hasn't met Bren yet? LOL. There is no wrong answer it's just a matter of preference. I've used both and I'll use Bren again if I ever have a need.

For those of you in the harvard vs brown ordeal. Get over it. I've met people from all kinds of schools. Your Harvard graduate can be a very good lawyer, doctor, businessman, etc but that doesn't make you the best. You think Harvard lawyers never lose just because they went to Harvard law school? Let contain my laughter.

we should have a tune off........results of a tune to many people are subjective. Unless you area person who has a general basis of whats safe and what isnt the only thing a person is going to care about is how it feels. Unfortunately, thats how people can be taken advantage of and thats how bad reputations can be developed. neither place has that so real issue should be what is more convenient form me and where am i comfortable going to given my location? Or just tune your self and go kaboom, learning experience right?

Ditto what SWP XT said..

Him and I both researched and did our build outs together essentially... I was tuned at EFI the week before him, and then retuned at Bren the same day. I went from 301 at EFI to 347 at Bren. As SWP said, it wasnt a power issue. The car made nice power, it was more of a driveability issue for us. The increase of power was just a mere bonus!!

With our initial EFI tune, we felt that the powerband was inconsistent, it ran very rough cold, and backfired at almost every shift over 2900 rpms. Some of the issues may have been subjective, but regardless - it did not drive within our expectation of our $4200 build. Soooo, we began to do more research, and started to learn about other reputable tuners; which is how we came to Bren.

My Bren tune took over 30 pulls to get right. He was meticulous. Once he got the tune to where we liked, he then took consistency pulls (hot and cold) for reliability measures. The AFR was well within the safe parameters, and he never even found my knock threshold. What i really liked, is after the dyno tune, we took it out on the streets, where he was able to sit in the passenger seat with his laptop and make slight adjustments, and even retuned the remaining to SI drive modes (I and S). Bren even sat in the driver's seat for a while to make sure everything felt good to him as well.

I LOVE the way the car drives now.

With all that being said, EFI is doing something right, and very well... They have a good reputation and a super large following. Especially here where I am (25 minutes from their door). As a few people have said, tuning is subjective to some degree. You can have two safe tunes with a different feel. To each their own; however for SWP XT and I, we have a winner!

Yup. Crank hp was unchanged in 2010 no?

241whp is like 300crank in our awd cars. Numbers along 40hp and A massive torque increase over stock can't be argued!

This is my car, not too bad for Bren's first 2010+ tune!!! I think I can safely say that all of us there (Bren included) were quite surprised with what could be achieved... As jasejase and SWP XT said, Bren's approach is meticulous and impressive. Subtle tweaks and adjustments to get the best results... I can't say how many pulls he did before he was satisfied, but it was a lot! And afterwards we took a drive while he monitored the results from the passenger seat, and then he popped behind the wheel to make sure it felt right to him also. I am extremely impressed, not just with the results, but with the process as well. There is no doubt in my mind where I will be taking my baby if (WHEN) I make some more modifications. A true professional, who knows and enjoys what he does!

I can't stop smiling! :eek::D:spin:

Archived