LegacyGT.com

replacing turbo. should I go VF40 or VF52?

I went with the vf52 over the vf40. Very happy with it.

FWIW, I also replaced the oil return line at the same time.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this thread is just like the other one. Get another VF40 and call it a day. Anything beyond that would require a tune and in time a hole set of parts including but not limited to a clutch etc. I don't see the point of going VF52 or 16G if you are going to keep the performance the same. And even if you are getting the VF52, it still requires a tune.

We cannot help people with their indecision in more than one thread.

thanks for all the responses.

I'm going to have a PPI and compression/leakdown tests done this weekend to get a baseline for where my car is at.

Hoping the results will make it clear what turbo to go with.

More power would be nice, which is why I would even consider the VF52. But not if its going to shorten the life of the engine. Hence why I'm searching for answers here.

there is also the factor of which is more fun under the speed limit and on normal roads? VF40 does spool crazy quick. I'd hate to spend $2k on a bigger turbo and tune only to find out I have shifted the turbo outside of the powerband I use daily.

thanks for all the responses.

I'm going to have a PPI and compression/leakdown tests done this weekend to get a baseline for where my car is at.

Hoping the results will make it clear what turbo to go with.

More power would be nice, which is why I would even consider the VF52. But not if its going to shorten the life of the engine. Hence why I'm searching for answers here.

there is also the factor of which is more fun under the speed limit and on normal roads? VF40 does spool crazy quick. I'd hate to spend $2k on a bigger turbo and tune only to find out I have shifted the turbo outside of the powerband I use daily.

no, the results of a compression test will confirm or deny the need for engine repair, not the type of new turbo to put on. any turbo greater than stock will shorten the life of the engine, to a degree...it depends greatly on the tune and the driving style. even going stage 2 on stock turbo will reduce the engine "life". more power through an engine = greater chance for increased rate of wear and/or the possibility of failure.

I was more or less saying. it should be clear if I need to spend money on "other" things or need to consider buying a new car soon rather then bolting on more power.

so YES it will make it clear what turbo to buy. Stock being the answer if other things are in need of attention. upgraded being the answer if everything looks amazingly good.

There is only so much money I'm willing to spend on this car.

I just need piece of mind. VF52 sounds like a good way to go if I can afford it. If we find some big problems during the PPI I may cancel the whole preventative turbo replacement plan altogether. We'll see though.

My car is almost paid off and anything short of a new S4 sounds like a step down so I'm planning on making this car real fun to drive for a long time and try not to think about the giant number on the odometer too much. ;)

• Moderators
FYI, if you're compression test comes back bad that does not tell you to just stick with a stock turbo as a replacement. From the sounds of things (your goals and willingness to deal with various automobile issues, especially performance related) that tells you to go trade your car in for a new vehicle of your choice.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I say get a vf52 and keep the stock boost pill. I put a smaller pill in for my 21psi.

The wagon is pretty quick on the back roads. I don't see the need for a bigger turbo and than bigger injectors and fuel pump.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

of course. I understand that

It tells me I should be saving for a new short block or an STI swap rather then replacing a turbo that is currently working fine. All a PPI is supposed to do is help me prioritize

an sti swap? why would you do all that work? pointless....

I still think of the VF52 as a stock upgrade considering its an oem part for the STI.

I've been researching lately why Diesel turbo's last so much longer then gas ones and the reasons I've been finding lead me to believe a larger turbo may be more reliable. My goal is achieve somewhere between stock LGT and stock STI power with a turbo that spins slower then the VF40

Anybody know if the VF52 will fit under the VF40 heat shield?

I just added a V52 to my car and I'd say its def a upgrade if tuned, and it does spool about 200-300 rpm's later which isnt a bad thing, my first tank of gas I got the same if not a little better mpg as normal DD driving I'm not getting in big boost as frequently, but when you do:cool:

inspection came out good. no significant issues other then the already known suspension and clutch wear items that I'm already planning on replacing.

Compression test came out as 130, 135, 135, 130. Is that pretty good? Mine is an 05 and I know the 05-06 has lower compression then the 07-09 models since the 05-06 uses STI heads. I think it was 8.2:1 on 05-06 vs 8.5:1 on 07 and newer

anybody know what it should be when the motor is new/fresh?

at what point is a motor considered tired? 100psi??? I know there's a lot of factors that effect the number on the test and that its more about the +/- difference between all 4 cylinders. just kinda curious how much wear I'm showing.

VF52 will likely go in next month after some more savings have accumulated.

my 2012 sti sb pulled 140's with lgt heads.... 130-5 isn't a problem and i wouldn't lose sleep over it. your car is fine.... get a turbo, proper accessories, a proper tune and tassles for your mirrors and be on your merry way....

I say get a vf52 and keep the stock boost pill. I put a smaller pill in for my 21psi.

The wagon is pretty quick on the back roads. I don't see the need for a bigger turbo and than bigger injectors and fuel pump.

I can attest to this (rode shotgun) wicked fast wagon, the power feels more linear. the vf40 feels like it just sits you back but then falls flat.

Archived