LegacyGT.com

BNR Evo 16G -- too much shaft play?

• I Donated
Less then 20k, I know BNR as excellent customer service. But I put 35k a year on my LGT. I need a min. for turbo the last at lease 60K. I wait to here what BNR as to say. Until then,turbo list is down from 5 to 3.

As I said,

I wouldn't necessarily take one experience as indicative of overall reliability

• I Donated
Ya, but I don't know anyone with more miles then you. On any BNR turbo. I mite be wrong, but no one else comes to mind.

Best of luck get you car up & running again.

Mike

Seriously? I don't know anyone offhand, but there's gotta be someone in CO or somewhere on the west coast. SSpeed, maybe?

• I Donated

Bryan took a look, and, well, no reason for me to paraphrase:

We found the issue with the unit. There is a stainless heat shield that is between the CHRA and the turbine housing, it was barely making contact with the turbine wheel and caused the whine. We will put the assembly back on the balancer, replace the bearings with the updated goods and put you a new heat shield in. Other than that, the turbo looked good.

He had also mentioned in a previous email that the shaft play did not look unreasonable.

So it looks like I'm getting new bearings as a precautionary measure, a new heat shield, and a once-over of the CHRA, and it doesn't SOUND like he's going to charge me for it, even though I'm technically out of warranty. I really can't argue with that.

Now the question is, since my car is down anyway, and I have alternate transportation at the moment, do I want to put in a new clutch and a TSK3 kit before I get it back up and running?

• I Donated
Dual-mass flywheel, single-mass flywheel. Dual-mass came stock on 05-06; single-mass came stock on 07+ and all EJ255 WRXes. Dual-mass was supposed to improve smoothness starting up, but just ended up being non-resurfaceable, easier to break, and less compatible with aftermarket clutches.

How many miles on the clutch you have ?

Is it slipping ?

Do you plan for more HP ?

Yes, do the TSK3 when it's clutch time.

Also make sure you post up a new vid of the shaft play when you the turbo back...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• I Donated
How many miles on the clutch you have ?

20k of my miles, 5k before I got it. So a total of 25k.

Is it slipping ?

Only when I get it heated up (after a couple of hard launches). In everyday driving, it's fine.

Do you plan for more HP ?

No, but Stage 3 on the stock clutch is still a bit much.

I bought it December 2010. I THINK that's before he changed bearing suppliers, but not sure.

That's when I bought mine and it was before the change. Since I still have it sitting in the basement I sent it back to have Bryan change out the bearings just for an extra bit of peace of mind.

I too bought one before the change but hadn't installed it when he made the change so I sent it back. Also got the EVO III compressor wheel instead of the EVO X version.

Presently in the tuning phase with infamous. Great stuff so far!

I wonder if I need to be concerned with the bearings in my "early" bnr 16g?

Mine is from fall 2010 and has about 20,000km on it. As of a few weeks ago the shaft play was very minimal... quite normal.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I wonder if I need to be concerned with the bearings in my "early" bnr 16g?

I think Bryan had decided that it might not have been a problem with the bearings after all but he still was willing to change them out for me.

Archived