LegacyGT.com

Let's play find that car/vehicle.

My roommate is looking for a vehicle that he can carry a large dog or two in the truck (or completely fold flat / be able to remove the back seats).

He's ideally looking for something foreign. There are a few domestics I could recommend, but his budget doesn't really allow for it.

We're over in Vegas, but we often visit Southern California.

The requirements are:

Must be FWD/AWD

Ideally under $8,000

Mileage under 90,000

Ideally better than 19mpg hwy

Ideally newer than 2003

I was going to recommend an Impreza wagon or a Legacy wagon/Outback, but I'm having trouble finding one in good condition in that price range.

In terms of design I think he's looking for something like a Forester/RAV4/CRV, but he's saying he's not able to find one in that price range.

Would you guys have any recommendations?

The only thing I've been able to recommend so far that does meet his requirements was a 2003 Saturn VUE V6 (I believe it used a Honda Odyssey engine that year), but he's not that excited about it, so I was curious what other recommendations you guys may have.

Excellent recommendation. I'll have him see if he thinks the trunk of the Matrix / Vibe will work.

Some friends of mine picked up a Vibe GT (that's how you get the 6MT)

They were telling me that the Vibe front pass seat could be laid flat to create a level load surface from the tailgate to the glovebox, and that for some reason the Matrix seat would not do it. Haven't been around a Matrix to confirm that myself. I was impressed by the versatility.

Good luck!

I would also suggest a Vibe. However, one thing I didn't like about it which ended the test drive before it even started was the awkward driving position. Neither I or my wife could really get comfortable behind the wheel. Oh, and the dash is really ugly IMO.

Since the OP is in Vegas, shouldn't the obvious vehicle choice be an Escalade on 22s?

Can you pick those up now for 8K?

Hahahaha, I was checking out of curiosity and yes you can find a 99/00 model. Though personally I think the better design came in around 2003, and that's a good 9/10 K :lol:

Edit: Here we go!

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/2903972011.html

hahaha

Also, please keep the ideas coming. It's possible that the seating position or space may not work for him, I know he's hoping to go car testing this weekend to see.

Honda Element.

You can find one cheap, you can get them AWD, and you can spray the interior out with a hose.

Win. Win. Win.

I had considered one when they came out, but my downhill bike at the time didn't fit inside.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Honda Element.

You can find one cheap, you can get them AWD, and you can spray the interior out with a hose.

Win. Win. Win.

I had considered one when they came out, but my downhill bike at the time didn't fit inside.

I like it, but between CL and Autotrader I don't see any in the 8k range.

Same with the Mazda 6 wagon unfortunately.

First off - NO YOU CAN'T HOSE OUT AN ELEMENT - There's no drain in the cargo area. Seats are water resistant though so if you do have dogs and kids you can seriously scrub them out. They are tough cars. My girlfriend has one and with the rear seats folded up and out of the way you have a TON of space. She has 160 k on hers and despite practically running it with zero oil for 2 weeks wondering what the weird sound was it's still driving like brand new. Averages 22 mpg mixed driving. Nice they are one of the few hondas with a timing chain too.

I vote 04 ish outback 4 cyl. Should be able to find one in the price range. Though if awd isn't needed then a matrix is a great car (actually don't they make an awd matrix too?).

You should be able to find a CRV in his price range - I would even bump his mileage requirement a little bit if you could find one that's already had the major 100k service done. If he's going toyota or honda he's going to be solid at 80k or 110k.

No worries.

Although he liked the Matrix, it thinks it might be a little bit smaller than what he needs at the moment.

He managed to find a really old mileage VUE for a good price and made an offer, so I think he may end up going with that.

I think he gave up and is buying something cheap right now and if he doesn't like it he'll swap it a year down the road when he has some more money.

Due to the price/mileage of this car he doesn't think he'll be losing too much and since the estimated gas mileage is decently high he doesn't think he'll have too much trouble unloading it when the time comes.

Thank you everyone for the recommendations!

doubt you're gonna find one under 90k on the clock, but you can def get them cheap&they run forever: 1st gen volvo crosscountry (v70 xc) i think they were from 98-01, 02 started the newer body style. I had a 98 in college, it was a BEAST. ridiculous torque, "awd" (fwd biased, trottle it right around a corner and you can kick the rear end out a little ;)). low pressure turbo. backseat folds totally flat, front passenger seat can be folded over too to carry long stuff. I carried a 6.5' futon in the back with the tailgate closed that i could not carry with the tailgate closed in a new pathfinder. there's a netting that comes out of the top of the backseat that hooks into the roof to keep cargo/pets in place(works either with the backseats up or folded flat). I sold mine to a friend a few years ago with 220k on it and it's still going strong. I honestly cannot say enough good things about the car.. all that said, highway gas mileage was around 23-24 tops and because of the LPT requires premium..

Archived