LegacyGT.com

Invidia DP owners...

BarManBean

• Moderators

Have an invidia DP that is going on soon, just a couple of questions for those who have this particular piece.

One, what parts on the downpipe come in closest contact with other parts on the car? I'm wrapping the downpipe and just want to make sure to pay particular attention to certain areas if needed.

Also, this is a 'v1' pipe, I guess. Was there some sort of issue with the divider hitting the wastegate of the turbo? It appears that the previous own has ground down the divider a bit so I assume I'm good to go.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

You're fine if it's been ground down. Only needs to be ground down a fairly small amount to have the WG flapper's arm clear.

Unsure of the points of contact though, sorry! But FYI, I've been told to not wrap downpipes. It's very exposed to the elements and stuff can easily seep in and corrode the pipe. Better to coat it. Unless you do a ridiculously awesome job of sealing the wrapping with some sort of spray...

I never had an issue with the divider, and mine was purchased in November of '08. However, I laterhad it ground completely flush with the bellmouth because of the turbo that I eventually swapped in.

If you plan on going stg3, have a wbo2 bung welded in before the install. If you do decide to wrap any part of it, consider this as well. Btw, welding into the cast stainless steel is tricky. Find someone who knows what he's doing should you decide this path.

• Moderators

If I go stage 3 it's gonna be with a 16g or vf52, not sure if welding in the wbo2 would be worth it / needed for either of those...? What does something like that cost, anyway?

Mark, thanks for looking out for my wellfare, lol. Fingers are doing fine, didn't slow me down changing plugs yesterday :)

an exhaust shop does it for like 25 or less. drop it off and pick it up in a few hours. I got my DP wrapped and have gone through the winter with no issues. It was sprayed with a silicon spray after being wrapped and i check it out the other day and not a single loose fiber any where. I prob went over kill by having it wrapped but o well, for the price of wrap and minimal time to repair if needed it was worth it.

Just get someone to TIG weld a bung into the bellmouth. You don't want some bandaid clamp-on thing to loosen off and leak somewhere down the line and cause false readings.

On my catted Invidia DP the cat sits maybe 50mm away from the CV boot. I need to get around to fabricating a heatshield for it soon, though nothing has happened to the boot yet.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• Moderators
Yeah, I've heard mixed reviews about wrapping a cat so not sure what to do about that really. I'm going to call an exhaust shop that does custom work to see what they say. The shop that mwm suggested is a little far away, but I'll probably swing it if the other place doesn't give me a good vibe.

Yea any exhaust shop can do a good job. My 05 has this DP on for about 2 years now, I do lots of highway driving. I have not had any issues with it. It also bolts directly to the oem midpipe.

It's not wrapped. Don't over think this. If you sit in traffic alot...wrapping may help a little.

But I agree, having it coated is the best option if you want to spend the money.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

My 05 has this DP on for about 2 years now... It also bolts directly to the oem midpipe.

With or without an adapter? Mine has a 3" flat flange, as has every other Invidia DP I've seen.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Archived