LegacyGT.com

Auto Climate Controls?

Can the temperature go below 65? Even at this lowest setting (ranges from 65 to 70-something) the air coming out (even with the a/c on) isn't very cold. I have test driven other 2005 legacys with manual controls, and can get the air to come out a lot colder. Is this normal for the auto controls?:confused:

Never taken a thermometer to the air. Cold is cold. Hot is hot. The way you feel temperature of the air you feel coming out of your vents depends on the temperature inside your car before you turn your ac/heat on.

If its hot in your car and you turn your ac on it will feel colder than it would if it was cold in your car and you turned the ac on.

If you feel it isn't as cold as other similar cars then it probably needs a charge.

Push the recirculate button. when the A/C is on.

BTW, I hate the Auto setting. It may be a control issue I have...LOL

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

65 F is the temperature the system will try to reach. But the actual cold air that comes out from the vents should be much colder with the AC on and assuming your cooling system works fine. If not, then I'd believe you need a recharge.

i seen it somewhere on here but the newer (05+) legacys were switched to a smaller ac compressor. the older subarus usually need a recharge every 6-7 years and the newer ones need a recharge every 3-4 years. my 2007 had to be recharged after 4 years and i noticed it because it would not cool unless i decelerated in gear. after it was recharged she was like new again

http://http://allwheeldriveauto.com/subaru-air-conditioning-explained/

^ it starts off high then it calms down and almost goes to low for winter driving , windows start fogging up. i saw the new volks wagons have two auto modes , one more economical and the other more agressive.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

just tried that. it blows noticeably colder air, but heres the question. With a gauge hooked up to the "low" end it reads about 33psi then slowly creeps up to 50 the the compressor kicks on and brings it back down. this cyle occurs about every 4 or 6 seconds or so. is this good/bad?

Last time I got an a/c recharged at a shop with the whole computer system done properly it only cost $65 bucks total. The recharge can from the store is real easy to overfill, or at least incorrectly fill if you don't know what you're doing. Plus, if you do have a leak somewhere the computerized system can usually figure out where it is based on some sort of voodoo magic. I could go into detail how, but it'd be a lot of typing.

there is a sensor in the high pressure side, it reads if pressure its to low or too high.

if its starting and stopping all the time its to high. let some out,

fyi a full can is enough to charge the entire system these days.

so if you were low it would need maybe a 1/5th of it.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

There is a high and low side to the system. You want to ensure you don't over/under fill either side. I'm not sure what the specs are but there is typically a few psi range that either side can be at.

Overfilling with fluid is an issue. If you've lost a lot it's probably not a charge you need.

As the system gets low however, slightly off spec it actually runs colder, and the unit will 'protect' itself by reducing the run time. As it will begin to freeze up. This extra load is largely protected, in the short term, by the systems natural ability to prevent freezing. Over time, being low will result in compressor burn out.

Systems don't typically leak, they do loose a little bit over time. If you've lost a lot on a modern car it means you have a leak and a top up may ruin the system - IE putting to much fluid into the system. Remember it's part gas part fluid and is changing state through the cycle.

A properly maintained ac unit will last years. On a 10 year old car we had the system was running a little 'warmer' than usual and it was off only 4psi on the high side. Fixing this with a little top up brought the ac back up to new.

If you have a major leak I would avoid self sealing products. They are a short term fix.

Run your ac in the winter a few times, not on days below 25f (unless required for safety) to keep the seals oiled.

• 3 months later...
idling at a standstill

You need to put the system on max cold, fan on high and in recirc. mode. You need to have the car above idle with the compressor engaged to get an accurate reading. Sorry, I know this is late and all but it may help someone!

Archived