LegacyGT.com

Front brake replacement/upgrade

i buy rotors off ebay, you can get nice drilled, slotted, or both for pretty cheep. I have a drilled front and rear rotors on 3 different Subie's and have never had a problem. But if you are just looking for a new one go to Auto Zone or Napa. Their products come with great sometimes life time warranty.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So uh... Hi guys. I've only posted a few times since I got my '98 Legacy GT... but I have a question. After reading this thread and a few others, I decided to just get the 2002 WRX Caliper Brackets along with Rotors (11.5") for a 2002 WRX, and new pads. I went to install everything, and i'll be damned... the caliper bracket won't bolt up with that large of rotor. It appears as though it might, but i think the rotors would have to be 11"

Can anyone confirm what i really need to do this?

1998 Legacy GT, everything is bone stock to my knowledge. Picture of the old bracket next to the new is attached. The new bracket is definitely taller, but i've got about 1/2 inch before the bolt will go into the hole on the 'bottom/left' hole for the bracket if i have the top/right bolt in. I don't 'need' to upgrade my brakes, but i figured why it was apart... why not. I drive aggressively and brake hard so i thought it'd help. I can always return the rotors and brackets and just go with stock size, but i'd like to upgrade if possible.

Brian

brackets2.thumb.jpg.0fcbde82a573febcd49850aa7a4259bf.jpg

2007 Legacy 2.5GT spec.B, Stage 2, ID1000, DW300C, Cobb Uppipe & Catted Downpipe. Tuned by Graham

1998 Legacy 2.5GT Premium 5MT

2013 Dodge Charger SRT8

I haven't installed one personally. But the firewall where your master cylinder sits gets weakened over time as the master cylinder flexes the metal. The brace fits behind the master cylinder and stops the flexing. Some people have said that installing the brace gives as much pedal feel improvement as installing stainless steel brake lines and adds some stopping power.

I think baddog put one in a while back and said as much. He had to do a little grinding to get it to fit though. It's about $90 iirc.

heres a youtube install video:

I installed the Grimmspeed brace a couple of months ago and the pedal does feel a bit more responsive. I never liked how you had to apply so much pressure to the brake pedal to stop (even after new brake pads front and rear). You could see the master cylinder move a little when the brakes were applied, but now the pedal definitely has a better feel.

So uh... Hi guys. I've only posted a few times since I got my '98 Legacy GT... but I have a question. After reading this thread and a few others, I decided to just get the 2002 WRX Caliper Brackets along with Rotors (11.5") for a 2002 WRX, and new pads. I went to install everything, and i'll be damned... the caliper bracket won't bolt up with that large of rotor. It appears as though it might, but i think the rotors would have to be 11"

Can anyone confirm what i really need to do this?

1998 Legacy GT, everything is bone stock to my knowledge. Picture of the old bracket next to the new is attached. The new bracket is definitely taller, but i've got about 1/2 inch before the bolt will go into the hole on the 'bottom/left' hole for the bracket if i have the top/right bolt in. I don't 'need' to upgrade my brakes, but i figured why it was apart... why not. I drive aggressively and brake hard so i thought it'd help. I can always return the rotors and brackets and just go with stock size, but i'd like to upgrade if possible.

Brian

Hmmm sounds weird, and clearly something isn't correct. Can you post photos of the fitment problem? Here is a photo for reference of the remanned 2002 caliper/bracket that I used for my WRX front brake upgrade a couple years ago:

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g432/camroncamera/IMG_5517.jpg

It sounds like you already understand, but the stock front caliper on your '98 LGT should be the same as the '02 WRX caliper, and only the mounting bracket changes to accommodate the larger 11.5" rotor. Hopefully your parts supplier didn't assume all years WRX have the same front setup. Seems like I read somewhere that as early as 2003 WRX changed the front setup somewhat, but that is pretty foggy for me. Anyway, maybe you were given a setup for the wrong year?

I used aftermarket EBC rotors in my swap, but the fit should be the same for factory 11.5" vented rotors.

EDIT: Additional images showing the fitment of the upgrade:

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g432/camroncamera/IMG_5532.jpg

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g432/camroncamera/IMG_5530.jpg

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g432/camroncamera/IMG_5539.jpg

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g432/camroncamera/IMG_5536.jpg

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g432/camroncamera/IMG_5538.jpg

Hmmm sounds weird, and clearly something isn't correct. Can you post photos of the fitment problem? Here is a photo for reference of the remanned 2002 caliper/bracket that I used for my WRX front brake upgrade a couple years ago:

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g432/camroncamera/IMG_5517.jpg

It sounds like you already understand, but the stock front caliper on your '98 LGT should be the same as the '02 WRX caliper, and only the mounting bracket changes to accommodate the larger 11.5" rotor. Hopefully your parts supplier didn't assume all years WRX have the same front setup. Seems like I read somewhere that as early as 2003 WRX changed the front setup somewhat, but that is pretty foggy for me. Anyway, maybe you were given a setup for the wrong year?

I used aftermarket EBC rotors in my swap, but the fit should be the same for factory 11.5" vented rotors.

I ended up returning the larger rotors and just went with stock size. I may look into this again at a later date. Basically, with the 11.5" rotors, trying to bolt up the caliper bracket wasn't going to happen. I could get the top bolt in (never did, just visibly could see that i could) but the bottom bolt was at least 1/2" off and the rotor was not allowing me to move it any closer. Now, maybe it was because it was dark and I was already frustrated with other things, but maybe it would've worked and I jumped the gun. But I looked 3 times... took the picture to compare the stock/new brackets, and then went to try again and it just didn't look possible. Assumed the knuckle needed to be different and posted my response here. Maybe i should've waited till the next day and re-evaluated.

Brian

2007 Legacy 2.5GT spec.B, Stage 2, ID1000, DW300C, Cobb Uppipe & Catted Downpipe. Tuned by Graham

2013 Dodge Charger SRT8

Another slight upgrade if anyone is interested is 05(base) legacy calipers/brackets with stock rotors. The 05 have larger pistons and slightly larger pad surface. Just make sure you get the rear bolt/guide pins or buy a set from autozone for $15 (H15903)

I ended up returning the larger rotors and just went with stock size. I may look into this again at a later date. Basically, with the 11.5" rotors, trying to bolt up the caliper bracket wasn't going to happen. I could get the top bolt in (never did, just visibly could see that i could) but the bottom bolt was at least 1/2" off and the rotor was not allowing me to move it any closer. Now, maybe it was because it was dark and I was already frustrated with other things, but maybe it would've worked and I jumped the gun. But I looked 3 times... took the picture to compare the stock/new brackets, and then went to try again and it just didn't look possible. Assumed the knuckle needed to be different and posted my response here. Maybe i should've waited till the next day and re-evaluated.

Brian

Bummer! Did you happen to test-fit the bracket without the rotor in place? Would the mounting holes have lined up without the rotor in the way?

Another slight upgrade if anyone is interested is 05(base) legacy calipers/brackets with stock rotors. The 05 have larger pistons and slightly larger pad surface. Just make sure you get the rear bolt/guide pins or buy a set from autozone for $15 (H15903)

wider caliper too, ive gotta do this soon

• 1 year later...
Bummer! Did you happen to test-fit the bracket without the rotor in place? Would the mounting holes have lined up without the rotor in the way?

Sorry, just got back to the forum. Been busy on FB and for whatever reason don't visit the forums as often as I should. I did not test fit it with the rotor off. Definitely something I should've done. Brian

2013 Dodge Charger SRT8

Archived