LegacyGT.com

Front brake replacement/upgrade

Man i saw that. I was seeing if any of these wise guys had their own install recorded since they say its so easy.

So now that my thread got taken over lol can anyone tell me if they have tried these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Front-Drilled-Slotted-Brake-Rotors-and-4-Ceramic-Pads-/290679434805?fits=Make:Subaru%7CModel:Legacy%7CYear:1997&hash=item43add82e35&item=290679434805&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr#ht_5622wt_1176

I'm thinking about these or the other stock ones I posted earlier. I'm just not sure how good the pads are with these since a pair of EBC green stuff can cost $90.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh yeah, forgot to mention... If your car is a daily driver and you really don't care about spending a ton of $$$ on it, just go to Autozone. EVERYTHING I listed above (Rotors, Calipers and even PADS!) have lifetime warranty's... If they ever fail (or wear down - Pads) take them back and get new ones...

Really? Even the pads can be replaced for free?!?! I know where I'm getting my next set of brake pads

I've gotten the autozone lifetime pads for my jeep and normal wear down of a set of pads isn't covered in the lifetime warranty. It's for if the pad comes apart. I've been there and done that. I rise a BIG stink about it and they eventualy gave me a set for not specifing on the reciept. SO be sure to ask before you buy.

Man i saw that. I was seeing if any of these wise guys had their own install recorded since they say its so easy.

So now that my thread got taken over lol can anyone tell me if they have tried these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Front-Drilled-Slotted-Brake-Rotors-and-4-Ceramic-Pads-/290679434805?fits=Make:Subaru%7CModel:Legacy%7CYear:1997&hash=item43add82e35&item=290679434805&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr#ht_5622wt_1176

I'm thinking about these or the other stock ones I posted earlier. I'm just not sure how good the pads are with these since a pair of EBC green stuff can cost $90.

I did my own install. It took me about 3 hours. The first one took the longest. The bolts are hard to break free sometimes.

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/7916/20110813134941.jpg

I would advise against Ebay brakes. It is possible there are some reputable sellers, but the cost saving is not worth risk. Figuring at maximum a $300 difference between Front and Rear Ebay brakes and Front and Rear EBC rotors and pads, the risk is not justified. These are the parts responsible for stopping you time after time.

It would be completely different with an Ebay intake. An Ebay intake is an simple piece of aluminum. And if it fails, the worst case is an minor irritation with a tow and getting it replaced.

Go get a set of calipers and brackets from a junkyard. I got a set from an 02 WRX for 180 bucks, and those came with EBC blue stuff brake pads in them (I got lucky). A set of Stoptech Street Performance pads and DBA slotted and vented rotors both for an 02' WRX together came out to 200 bucks. So for $170 less, I was able to do the WRX front brake conversion with upgraded rotors and pads for a lot cheaper than $550. Do it yourself, just make sure your bleeder valves point up when you install the calipers.

That sounds like a great upgrade, Hard to believe its so easy!

What are the diferences in disc diameter? Do you have any pics of the install, caliper and brackets?

thanks

ladyman, camroncamera made a great DIY thread when he did a WRX front and H6 rear upgrade: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2nd-gen-lgt-brake-upgrades-wrx-front-and-h6-rear-154702.html

Thanks, Monkey, I was just about to chime in :)

The thread is a little herky-jerky getting started with my questions and thread discussion as I figure out exactly what works and what doesn't, but eventually it comes around to the installation and some good photos.

Let me get this straight... all I need to do to upgrade to WRX brakes in the front is simply get the caliper and bracket, take off MY caliper and bracket, and bolt the new ones in? The brake lines and everything can then bolt right back up??? It can't possibly be that easy...

(I know obviously I'd need new pads and rotors.)

Actually, Model Year 2002 (only!) WRX uses the exact same 2-pot front caliper as the 2nd-gen Legacy GT... it is only the mounting bracket that is different, to allow the use of the larger 11.5" rotor. If your Legacy came with 2-pot front calipers (as Legacy GT's did) and if they are in good working order, you'll only need the mounting brackets ($cheap :)). You won't even have to disconnect the brake line. BUT make sure to add front WRX rotors to your shopping list :).

DISCLAIMER: The preceding was brought to you by IIRC and YMMV. lol

My next leggy project will be the WRX front and H6 upgrade camroncamera! Thanks for the great writeup. I'll forgo the drilled and slotted rotors for economic reasons, lol. My L brakes suck really bad. They will definitely not be sufficient for my EJ22T swap.

Another vote for Hawk HSP. I ordered them through Pepboys, they had them the next day. Dust was minimal but there was definitely an improvement over the stock pads for fade resistance on my 98 OB. Sad side note the same OB was officially sold today after 178,000 miles 108 of them mine. Great car... Hope the new one is as reliable!

I went with the ebay slot and drilled rotors with pads and picked up the caliper from napa. Thanks for the suggestion on that whoever posted that. Don't think I'll have the time to put them on myself as I am taking a big road trip next week. As for the ebay brakes I saw good reviews so I went with them and if they are shitty and fail, I'll sue them!! But im sure they will be fine. Anything will be better than my warped rotors.

Can someone on this thread tell me if stock (OEM) 2000 year BE or BH both front and rear calipers will fit a 99' LGT BD?

I'm not sure about the fronts, but to use the rears you'll need to change calipers, brackets, pads, and rotors, and remove the dust shield from your BD for all those items to fit. This is the "H6" rear brake conversion, though the donor Legacy will have the correct brakes whether it is equipped with an H6 engine or not. Using the BE or BH rear brake lines to the caliper may be better as well, but I have not confirmed this fitment. Make sure your donor car is equipped with rear disc brakes and not drums lol.

I'm not sure about the fronts, but to use the rears you'll need to change calipers, brackets, pads, and rotors, and remove the dust shield from your BD for all those items to fit. This is the "H6" rear brake conversion, though the donor Legacy will have the correct brakes whether it is equipped with an H6 engine or not. Using the BE or BH rear brake lines to the caliper may be better as well, but I have not confirmed this fitment. Make sure your donor car is equipped with rear disc brakes and not drums lol.

^^^Cameron I'm aware of the H6 swap brakes. I have moderately warped front calipers on the front from the last owner's abuse. There is a guy wanting to sell me the whole set for almost nothing from a 2000 Legacy. I just want to know if the front calipers are a match or not.

• 4 weeks later...
Well, Cameron the stock 2000 front rotors are identical to the 99' LGT's. I got all 4 rotors for 100.00 brand new from a guy on Craigs list. The real reason for the interest in the buy was because I was after the rear H6 rotors. I swapped in the new rotors up front buy I'm buying the rear brackets, calipers, and pads for an install next week. I'm sort of hoping that the 99' LGT rear lines will work with it. If not I'll just Spring for some SS brake lines. BTW, Cameron where did you buy the brake lines for your wife's wagon?

The rear lines on your '99 will fit, but the 2000+ brakes lines have an "L" shape to the hard line portion at the banjo fitting that fit the 2000+ caliper more securely (it fits in a notch made for this shape). There's a closeup photo in my WRX/H6 brake upgrade thread. I got my SS lines from Nameless Performance, a local vendor: http://namelessperformance.com/

Camroncamera is right, all you need for front wrx brakes is the 02 mounting bracket, then of course the rotors and pads.

What I did to my brakes and $:

02 wrx front calipers and brackets - 50

oem front caliper rebuild kit - 25

oem new front lock and guide pins - about 20 total

stoptech street performance front pads - 60

advance rear pads - 30 maybe, can't remember

advance auto BLANK rotors (all these high $ and slotted/drilled are a waste for a dd or street car) - I forget, maybe 25-50 each, wrx for front, stock rear

new synthetic fluid - what, 10?

high temp paint and sandpaper - 30 maybe

total: about $325-350ish. Seems like I didn't really spend that much.

Cost of having a blingin' (not really, painted black) brake system for a street dd that's mostly new/rebuilt and stops great, and the peace of mind knowing that it actually was performed and to my standards - priceless.

The rear lines on your '99 will fit, but the 2000+ brakes lines have an "L" shape to the hard line portion at the banjo fitting that fit the 2000+ caliper more securely (it fits in a notch made for this shape). There's a closeup photo in my WRX/H6 brake upgrade thread. I got my SS lines from Nameless Performance, a local vendor: http://namelessperformance.com/

^^^Cameron, if you ordered the SS brake lines for a H6 do you think they would fit our 2nd Gen Legacy? Or even if I went down to the pick and pull and lifted them off the H6 I have in the salvage would they work on my car?

BTW I tried hanging the caliper on the strut on my SS and the brake lines weren't long enough to allow it.

But instead of doing the WRX and H6 swap I realized that I can just swap the brakes off of my salvage SS on to my second gen leggy. I don't know why I didn't think of that until a few days ago, lol. The brakes on my running SS are awesome so I shold be happy with swapping them on the wagon. I'll rebuild them, get some nice pads, turn or replace the SS rotors, install stainless steel brake lines, and hopefully put in the Grimspeed master cylinder brace.

I haven't installed one personally. But the firewall where your master cylinder sits gets weakened over time as the master cylinder flexes the metal. The brace fits behind the master cylinder and stops the flexing. Some people have said that installing the brace gives as much pedal feel improvement as installing stainless steel brake lines and adds some stopping power.

I think baddog put one in a while back and said as much. He had to do a little grinding to get it to fit though. It's about $90 iirc.

heres a youtube install video: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiyuqICG_UY]Master Cylinder Brace Install 93-07 Impreza models / 05-06 Saab 92-X / 94-99 Legacy / 03-08 Forester - YouTube[/ame]

^^^Cameron, if you ordered the SS brake lines for a H6 do you think they would fit our 2nd Gen Legacy? Or even if I went down to the pick and pull and lifted them off the H6 I have in the salvage would they work on my car?

Hmmm, I don't know for sure but I think the H6 rear brake lines may be too short?? Are they a two-piece line? I've never seen them for myself but I have seen pics from the big-chain auto parts websites, and I have the impression that they won't work on a BD/BG/BK. If that is the case, then a SS brake line vendor should design a "hybrid H6-upgrade" rear brake line that has the correct length for 2nd-gen cars, but has the "L"-shaped hard line to fit through the securing notch on the 2000-2004 rear caliper. :)

Oh yeah, forgot to mention... If your car is a daily driver and you really don't care about spending a ton of $$$ on it, just go to Autozone. EVERYTHING I listed above (Rotors, Calipers and even PADS!) have lifetime warranty's... If they ever fail (or wear down - Pads) take them back and get new ones...

I work at Advance by Pittsburgh. These warranties don't cover wear unless

A) You throw a tantrum in the store

B) The manager of that particular store is cool

Just throwing that out there

Archived