LegacyGT.com

Brakes...

Hi,

I've got a 2006 Legacy GT LTD. It's getting time for replacing front brake pads. What should I expect to pay my mechanic to replace the front brake pads only? The local Subaru dealer just wanted me to bring the car in first without any over-the-phone ballpark figure given.

How much more would I expect to pay if front rotors were also needed?

Thanks in adv,

Bob M.

Where do you live ?

You don't want to use OEM brakes. Both my Legacy's have Hawk HPS pads or Hawk ceramic pads. You can get them from a vendor on here or the guy's at AZPinstalls.com.

They help out on here a lot so might as well give them the business. They have great pricing too.

I got my DBA rotors from them too.

There is a brake forum on here. so you may want to check there.

I would not pay the stealership to do brakes. Any independent shop can do just as good for less money.

You can do a google search for brakes and get all kinds of info and prices.

For a good front set up Hawk pads and good rotors plan on $300 in parts.

You can also have your rotors turned by a machine shop for about $50.00 and reuse them.

The pads will be around $90.00

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I bet you'd pay $500.

I'm anti-hawk and would tell you there are other pads out there worth running. While they maybe an improvement over OEM, their products are horrible in general. Much research on the matter will show you want I'm talking about.

brakes are easy, do them yourself and save hundreds.

^This.

Plus doing it yourself you can put the money you save from not using a mechanic towards better pads and/or rotors. Probably could even upgrade to some stainless lines if you wanted to as well.

Gotta get off my lazy a** and install my stainless lines!! Had 'em in the garage for two months now.

Yeah, get on it! BTW, where should I obtain SS lines for a reasonable fee?

I live in New England. Do you think if I went to my local mechanic and said, "Please change the front brake pads only" it would cost in the neighborhood of $500 for parts and labor? Wow, that seems alot. How much could the brake pads possibly be? and, how many hours of labor could it take to change only the front brake pads? (I think I better sell my business and become a Subaru mechanic - I've been missing the road to riches all these years!)

I appreciate the tip on using a better brake pad product but what I'm really asking here is what is a reasonable expectation of what this job should usually cost. I'm aware a Subaru dealership would probably charge more than the local corner garage and, of course, labor prices vary from locale to locale.

By the way, what prompted all this was the local Subaru dealership told me it cost more for brake pads for a GT LTD than a non-GT LTD. I asked him how the brake pads knew my car had leather seats or not, which got me thinking, and posting.

Thanks for your comments,

Bob M.

I live in New England. Do you think if I went to my local mechanic and said, "Please change the front brake pads only" it would cost in the neighborhood of $500 for parts and labor? Wow, that seems alot. How much could the brake pads possibly be? and, how many hours of labor could it take to change only the front brake pads? (I think I better sell my business and become a Subaru mechanic - I've been missing the road to riches all these years!)

I appreciate the tip on using a better brake pad product but what I'm really asking here is what is a reasonable expectation of what this job should usually cost. I'm aware a Subaru dealership would probably charge more than the local corner garage and, of course, labor prices vary from locale to locale.

By the way, what prompted all this was the local Subaru dealership told me it cost more for brake pads for a GT LTD than a non-GT LTD. I asked him how the brake pads knew my car had leather seats or not, which got me thinking, and posting.

Bob M.

Best just call and get quotes.

I dont know why shops charge so much for brakes. It literally take 10 minutes a side on the front. Just take the wheel off. Then the two bolts that hold the caliper and bam its off. Compress the pistons. Throw some lube on the back of the pads and slap it back together. If you have any mechanic friends in the area theyd do it for cheap.

He was saying GT versus 2.5i the rotors are much much bigger on the GT than the non-turbo.

$500 sounds reasonable.. hell if you asked me to do it I'd probably say $150 labor and you buy the parts :)

I did my own, as with all the more simple things.. new england weather has a tendency to rust stuff up and make it hard to open. Frustrating thing for me working on my subie was the placement of a lot of the bolts (in comparison to working on other cars). They had "things" in the way that made it difficult for me to get my impact gun in and/or my breaker bar... Had to use creative extensions and/or joints .. if not a regular wrench and a pipe.. <sigh>.

Bob M.

These things are not as easy as Honda brakes but that's because you have to use a few different extensions to get to the bolts.

OP I would think if you just had the pads changed and nothing else done, $100 to 140.

I'll assume your not into having good brakes on your car, nothing wrong with that, if your welling to put up with some possible noise problems later on.

Most of us here think brakes are pretty important that's why we said what we did.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

In the fall of 2006 I had the dealer do my brakes on my 05 LGT and here were the costs:

Front, replaced front pads and rotors and serviced calipers

Labor - 170

Parts - 270

Rear, replaced rear pads and rotors and serviced calipers

Labor - 170

Parts - 265

This is why it is called a stealership! Now I get my local mechanic to do the work and with the same work with ceramic it costs 400 for front and back.

I just cannot believe people pay $400 to have rotors and pads done! I wouldn't pay $100 for the job.

Pad's are easy as hell, 10 minutes a corner. Rotor's included.

If you are going to just get the rotor resurfaced its like 10 - 15 per rotor depending on where you go.

These things are not as easy as Honda brakes but that's because you have to use a few different extensions to get to the bolts.

OP I would think if you just had the pads changed and nothing else done, $100 to 140.

I'll assume your not into having good brakes on your car, nothing wrong with that, if your welling to put up with some possible noise problems later on.

Most of us here think brakes are pretty important that's why we said what we did.

Extensions?? I don't remember using extensions to do mine... Hrm.

Thanks for the lively discussion. I am into having good brakes and good braking ability. And I know from previous services that front brakes are coming due soon, at least for pads.

This is my first Subaru. I've been a Volvo/Mercedes guy most of my life. So things are a little different. My backyard mechanic days are long past me and I haven't really found a reliable, independent Subaru repair service in my locale yet. The local dealership is an unpleasant and inefficient experience, not to be repeated. I've had this car which, by the way, I really like, less than a year.

I did contact a well-thought-of independent repair service in my neighborhood who told me that they change pads and rotors as a matter of course on all cars, all makes and models. They said that rotors aren't made they way they used to be and they get too many returns if they just do pads. So they only quote pads and rotors. I think this is true of many shops/garages these days.

I thought the idea was to stay on top of pad wear so you changed them out before scoring or warping the rotors but apparently this is a bygone idea at least with repair shops. Any professional (Subaru or other) mechanics out there care to comment?

Bob M.

Extensions?? I don't remember using extensions to do mine... Hrm.

Extensions help me get the 1/2 impact gun in there.

OP, I agree with most places, only I have my buddy's machine shop turn my rotors and I install new pads.

Most repair shops don't want to leave a car on the lift while the rotors are out being turned . So to save them time and make more money of the customer they order new rotors which have a higher mark up then the machining cost.

BTW, the machine shop surfaces the rotors like a flywheel, they don't turn them on a brake lathe. It gives the rotors a better surface for the pads to bite into.

What part of new england? theres enough of us on here that can help you out, just depends who your local too..

But as far as parts I have hawk HPS on mine, much better feel, but Im not 100% satisfied with them (or it could just be the crappy booster/master they put in these things!!:confused:)

Archived