LegacyGT.com

on 5eat can we reverse the direction for sport shift

bill harvey

open her up and swap the switches (what I did) or switch the pins...

to the novice driver, moving the shifter up - upshift. shifter down - downshift, 5eats do more have enough torque (stock) to push you back into the seat for you not the push up for upshift:lol:

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

How thick are you that you think the argument is whether or not it's possible? :)

We're talking optimal engineering. Why are you ok half-assing it?

WTF are you on about? You are the one talking about "barely reach the shifter".

1) Fix your seating position.

2) Don't have the upper body strength of a catholic school girl.

As for the advantage of back to downshift, what's more important? Keeping your hand on the shifter, or hand on the wheel?

Entering the braking zone before a turn and needing to downshift, it's faster to move your hand down and slap the shifter backwards, than it is to move your hand behind the shifter to push it forward. Simple matter of timing. It's more important to get your hand quickly back to the steering wheel after downshifting, than it is after upshifting.

At the end of the day, it's a preference thing. I can slap a shifter backwards and get my hand back on the wheel faster than I could slap it forwards. For me, I'd prefer back-to-downshift.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Entering the braking zone before a turn and needing to downshift, it's faster to move your hand down and slap the shifter backwards, than it is to move your hand behind the shifter to push it forward. Simple matter of timing. It's more important to get your hand quickly back to the steering wheel after downshifting, than it is after upshifting.

At the end of the day, it's a preference thing. I can slap a shifter backwards and get my hand back on the wheel faster than I could slap it forwards. For me, I'd prefer back-to-downshift.

This one I'll buy.

You would lose ignition timing retard during a shift. I haven't checked the code updates to see what more flexibility it now has. There are solutions to every problem, but requires flexibility in the code.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

You would lose ignition timing retard during a shift. I haven't checked the code updates to see what more flexibility it now has. There are solutions to every problem, but requires flexibility in the code.

What is the ECU expecting from the TCU to trigger that?

There has to be a way around that.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Pulling back for upshifts seems more natural too me too. It has always felt ass-backwards from day one. The only reason I can see to use it is to drop down a gear in anticipation of a pass on a two lane road. In daily driving you just look and sound like a doofus.
It is still ugly.

I had a thread about a standalone TCU solution, but no one ended up having genuine interest in it.

What is the ECU expecting from the TCU to trigger that?

There has to be a way around that.

TCU sends a torque down signal to the ECU when shifting, which transmits across the CAN network.

Frank_ster's idea is the best IMO: to use a standalone TCU's spare output to trigger a solenoid to actuate the BPV. Dump manifold pressure each shift. Would make life easier on the transmission.

But how much would that matter with a vb mod? Would it be too much for the transmission without it?

It is unknown whether you would need the VB mod or not with a standalone TCU, but I don't think you would.

IIRC you would also loose cruise control w/ the MegaShift?

Probably. You would leave the stock TCU connected to the inhibitor switch and CAN network, disable the P0700 code, and hope the ECU does not pickup a trouble code. My assumption is if you can keep the CEL off, then cruise should work. But I don't know.

The other option is to do a full manual conversion (as far as the ECU knows) and then cruise should work fine because the ECU will not know whether it is a human or computer shifting the transmission. But you may lose the pretty PRND dash lights :lol:

Either way it can be done, but no one that I could find liked the idea of a totally custom untested TCU solution when they could just bolt in a VB and deal with the inconvenience of the stupid paddle / button shift delay.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I can tell you from personal experience (I'm a Professional BMW Level 1/Master Tech) that all BMW's with SMG transmissions use back to upshift and forward to downshift...unless of course you're using the paddle shifters. That fact kinda f'd me up for a bit when I bought my LGT Wagon...7 years of driving and working on BMW's had me used to back to upshift and forward to downshift. Felt messed up for me to use the opposite. And, yes...the 5EAT is no SMG tranny, but still...I think it's just a matter of what you're used to as well as personal preference.

Lol

Are there any mods to shorten the response time?

Now THAT is a good question. That's been one of the biggest complaints i've had with the 5EAT, and one of the reasons I don't drive it in Sport "Manual" mode more often. I find that delay to be super annoying...especially after being used to cars like the E92 M3 with the DCT SMG. When you tell that thing to shift (either via moving the shift knob or hitting the paddle shifters)...it shifts NOW very quickly and very directly. I realize that this is impossible with an Auto compared to an SMG and the 5EAT is definitely no SMG, but that delay is one of the worst things on the car IMHO...

Archived