LegacyGT.com

heard knocking on the way home - intermittent

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
fwiw, I cut-open the oil filter sunday. Found nothing that shouldn't be there. Hope is, the metal stayed in the pan.
SOLD | '06 spec.B - VF52/AVO/740cc/Up/Down | 238awhp | 50-80mph 3.1 seconds.

I can't say that the filter contents are the determining factor in whether or not your engine was damaged. But if it's in your pan, the pieces were from the bearings....and that material is no longer where it should be.

It's all data/evidence. What I know now is, debris didn't significantly travel to the filter area (and likely beyond).

it's not that the debris damaged anything, it's the fact that the bearings had no oil for a second or two and the pieces came from them and dumped out with the return oil back into the pan. the pieces very well may not have recirculated around the system and your turbo and heads may be okay...but we can't be sure yet....it doesn't take obvious carnage in the pan to do damage, can be just as much as flakes that will wreak havoc in the system and can be sucked up through the pickup(even though it has a grate on it to filter big objects)

it's not that the debris damaged anything, it's the fact that the bearings had no oil for a second or two and the pieces came from them and dumped out with the return oil back into the pan. the pieces very well may not have recirculated around the system and your turbo and heads may be okay...but we can't be sure yet....it doesn't take obvious carnage in the pan to do damage, can be just as much as flakes that will wreak havoc in the system and can be sucked up through the pickup(even though it has a grate on it to filter big objects)

Quite possible. Again - just trying to get as much info as possible; won't know till I know, ya know? :D

your oil pan probably looks like this

DSCF1931.JPG

Well...my car still runs/starts fine. :)

change the oil and hope for the best i guess if it sounds fine

Doesn't change the knocking I heard; as somebody said, engines don't typically heal. Twas the knocking and light I saw which drove this thread - then, after finding the "gold" - I believe I have no choice but to try and replace the shortblock.

Maybe buy a lottery ticket...lol

Lost on all three over the weekend. :(

Archived