LegacyGT.com

Combo UP/Spark Plug install?

• Moderators

I have a question to those who have completed both an up pipe installation and spark plug replacement:

I'm going to be doing both, and figure that since I'll probably have to loosen the motor mounts and jack up the engine to get the up pipe out I may be able to get an easier shot at the spark plugs at the same time, correct?

A local dealer will do the plugs for only 1 hour labor ($105 i think). I have an inherent distrust of dealers (last time I had a car at the dealer they cross threaded my oil drain bolt and didn't think it was a big deal...) but for that little and the apparent nightmare that it is to get to the plugs I may take them up on it unless jacking the engine up is going to make things that much easier.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I can just about anything, I've pulled the tranny and also R&R'ed the rear Diff, I've R&R'ed the turbo, R&R the timing belt, I pay to have the plugs changed.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Moderators
I can just about anything, I've pulled the tranny and also R&R'ed the rear Diff, I've R&R'ed the turbo, R&R the timing belt, I pay to have the plugs changed.

ha, that's kind of the impression I get. I definitely wasn't going to pay to have them done when shops were wanting to charge 3+ hours for labor, but for 1 hour I'm not sure I can turn it down.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I have removed and replaced my OEM up pipe and replaced my spark plugs without loosening the motor mounts or removing the headers. Mine is an 08. YMMV.

I did replace the motor mounts a few months after that with the Group N ones, and if you don't have to touch the mounts, I'd highly recommend not because they are a pain.

ha, that's kind of the impression I get. I definitely wasn't going to pay to have them done when shops were wanting to charge 3+ hours for labor, but for 1 hour I'm not sure I can turn it down.

I've paid $120 bucks twice to have the plugs changed.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

120 for spark plugs is a really good price. I didnt lift my motor or do anything with the exhaust. I did almost all of it from the bottom of the car. Just have a good selection of extensions and universal joint. My univErsals were harbor freight so it was kind of a pain to work with but the job wasnt too hard.

Archived