LegacyGT.com

quicker spool

bmx045

An MBC will help a bit, in that it ensures that your ECU's boost tuning doesn't open the wastegate too soon. This helps most in the higher gears though, where it's going to take a long time to spool anyway, no matter what.

IMO the key to getting quick response from a big turbo is to downshift before you floor it. If your RPM is below whatever you need for full boost, and you're flooring it, you're doing it wrong - you're going to have to wait however long it takes for RPM to rise into the turbo's happy range. If you downshift (two gears if that's what it takes) and then floor it, then you'll probably get full boost quicker, and you'll be in a lower gear, which means you'll accelerate quicker when the boost arrives.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you looked at getting an EWG, porting the turbo, retarding the timing, gs pnp manifold/crossover (not elh), exhaust cutout, and a hybrid boost controller? Seems like those are the cheapest options.

Else you can throw in a stroker kit, get some custom pistons for higher compression, maybe try a cam on just the exhaust side.......these are lots of $$$$'s though.

You could always swap out your turbo and consider it another lessen learned in life.

Have you looked at getting an EWG, porting the turbo, retarding the timing, gs pnp manifold/crossover (not elh), exhaust cutout, and a hybrid boost controller? Seems like those are the cheapest options.

Else you can throw in a stroker kit, get some custom pistons for higher compression, maybe try a cam on just the exhaust side.......these are lots of $$$$'s though.

You could always swap out your turbo and consider it another lessen learned in life.

How would porting the turbo or retarding the timing help spool?

I don't understand how porting the turbo out could make the turbo spool quicker, wouldn't you essentially be making it into a bigger turbo and therefore slowing down the spool? I can understand that you could make more powah b/c there is more room for air and therefore increased flow. I also haven't heard much of anything good about the gs pnp headers for spool or anything else.

I don't understand how porting the turbo out could make the turbo spool quicker, wouldn't you essentially be making it into a bigger turbo and therefore slowing down the spool?

On a smaller one it helps with power and lower turbulence going into the nozzle helps spool as a byproduct. On a bigger one, you won't notice.

Retarding timing may dump more heat energy into the exhaust to help spool, but at the expense of torque at the same given airflow. Torque moves the car, not boost.

I just noticed the OP has an AMR turbo, so I did a quick search on EFI Logics and came up with these two plots. Numbers may differ a bit but the boost plots tell the story. Not wasting any more time on this.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

It seems that it would speed up the spool.

In terms of time, yes. TC lets engine rev up--earlier--than a static connection. That is what you want, since engines flow more air at higher RPMs. It's not as pure a benefit as this suggests (since turbo spool is very much a function of time), but it does still help.

Keep it simple.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

retarding timing raises egt's, hotter air spools turbo quicker.

I would say, that most dont get what they expect from pulling timing to increase EGT's. You'll generally find that the low end you'll lose by hurting the MBT by pulling timing advance in the lower range will not help.

I would try that if you were hurting for spool after you had made sure absolutely every single part of your exhaust pre-turbine was coated and wrapped.

Otherwise I would make sure that the timing is aggressive and your WGDC are pegged up until you hit target boost.

Im not sure if your on the stock BCS but even with 100% duty cycles on your boost controller your wg can still open a bit. What spring pressure are you using?

There are wastegate actuators out there where you can swap the spring or even apply a helper spring. Sometimes the back pressure alone pre-turbine can cause the wastegate flappers to start to open slightly and this will slow down spool.

well the wastegate starts at open and then closes with an increased wgdc, if you try and target max boost earlier on, and set your max wgdc at 90, with initial at like 10, i suppose through logging boost error you could raise wgdc so you know exactly how much dc is needed. of course, i know even with the wg completely closed it can only spool so fast being a td06 8cm

well the wastegate starts at open and then closes with an increased wgdc, if you try and target max boost earlier on, and set your max wgdc at 90, with initial at like 10, i suppose through logging boost error you could raise wgdc so you know exactly how much dc is needed. of course, i know even with the wg completely closed it can only spool so fast being a td06 8cm

You mean the "wastegate solenoid", not wastegate, right?

Unless you own a 335i...

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Archived