LegacyGT.com

5th Gen - Tricks and tweaks

Has anyone figured out how to disable the seat belt switch to engage the automatic e-brake release? So all you need to do is drop the clutch in gear and it releases.

Too many times I haven't secured my seatbelt completely and lug the car when letting the clutch out since the ebrake stays on. It's almost as annoying as the seatbelt chime...

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, one would think...

Usually when this happens I'll even have the belt on and it still will not disengage since I didn't press the clutch to the floor in time before releasing it... realizing this after the car threatens to stall = annoying. Robbing me of like 3 seconds! ;)

You have to do more than just select a gear. It wants to see the clutch switch sensor AND a teeny bit of throttle. It just has to be enough to register movement, doesn't even need to actually blip the engine. I killed it a few times trying to let the clutch out with no throttle until I figured that out.

That may be what's happening to you when it kills even though you're wearing your belt.

Yep, when the seat belt is buckled, clutch and throttle movement has to be sensed in order for the parking brake to disengage.

Since I always use a seat belt, the only time that this process slips my mind is when backing the car out of the garage to put it in the driveway or pulling it in for the night. I never stall it, but trying to go when the car won't let you is still embarrassing even if noone sees. :lol:

Thanks guys. I'm almost certain every time has some throttle in it though. It's just weird that I have the belt on and letting the clutch out with some throttle when it still wont release... I just need it to sense the clutch and throttle and off I go.

Here's the thing... it seems like the clutch sensor is triggered with the pedal slammed to the floor, I need to do this in order for the engine to start as well. When getting in the car, I push the clutch in to start it, put my seat belt on, and start letting the clutch out while giving it some gas pedal respectively when I notice the brake not releasing. I'll slam the clutch pedal back to the floor and try again, then it works.

I think the problem is in the "clutch sensing" part. What's probably happening is the clutch pedal slips back passed the sensor after starting the car and before clicking the seat belt in. If the belt is on and I push the clutch in the brake releases fine when letting it back out. The clutch is in but just not far enough when the seat belt is sensed.

This really isn't a big deal and I can re-arrange my car starting habits or find a way to auto release the brake without the seatbelt sensor. I'm going to test what I said above later but I think that's what's going on.

Maybe you have to push the clutch in and out 20 times in 30 seconds while clicking in and out the seat belt or some weird sequence like the seatbelt chime elimination... :lol:

My money is on just getting used to it, seriously. The clutch switch sensor is a little odd in where it flips. That's also the reason I have problems using Cobb's flat foot shifting implementation. The clutch switch doesn't line up with the actual engagement point.

Could be a faulty clutch switch sensor sensor, maybe. I'm more inclined to think it's a matter of seat time based on similar experience in the first few weeks of ownership. You can't be "almost" certain you gave it throttle. Next time it happens, try again and be REALLY certain you're giving it throttle. ;)

Wait, what? There are two, and they are adjustable? Have you confirmed this?.
Yup - there are two, and both are adjustable via a locknut arrangement. (a clutch switch and a clutch start switch)

Capture.JPG.36ab75cce1aeb4c8f8fce05966c67068.JPG

Edited by DrD123
added a schematic

I tested out what I previously said was happening and it's confirmed. The off chance that I have the clutch backed out an inch or so when buckling up will prevent the brake from releasing. I'll have my seatbelt on, let clutch out, and giving it some throttle; the parking brake stays on. It won't release until I push in the clutch pedal all the way then let it back out.

Now that I know what was going on and that there are two clutch switches I'll most likely not have this problem since ill just be aware of the switch points. The switches could be set correctly or maybe not. Next time I get an oil change I'll mention it and demonstrate the issue to the dealer.

• 1 month later...

If you want to disable the TPMS light it shall be sufficient to insert a switch on the wire at the green area in picture below:

It shall be a Red/Yellow wire at pin 2.

Same pin seems to be used both on 4th and 5th gen.

TPMS Wiring on 4th gen.

http://www.bedug.com/pics/Subaru/TPM.png

TPMS Wiring on 5th gen, next connection is on instrument cluster (excluded). The i2/R339 connector is located behind the panel to the left of the pedals.

http://www.bedug.com/pics/Subaru/5thgentpms.png

Location of box on Sedan:

http://www.bedug.com/pics/Subaru/LGT_TPMS.jpg

I would recommend inserting a switch or a connector that can be re-connected in case you want to sell the car or for some reason want to enable the feature again.

There's also a larger connector joining the side harness with the instrument panel harness to the left of the "dead" panel in the driver footwell where this wire can be found - if you think that will be easier to access.

http://www.bedug.com/pics/Subaru/P1010018.jpg

Thanks to BigBopper for pics in car.

Edited by ehsnils
453747.png

• 3 weeks later...
No problem, thanks.

I only asked here because I thought it would be a useful addition to this thread.

Sticky Threads should be used to highlight a particular project of interest, to share with the community. Please keep general conversation and questions limited to the common areas of the forum, with quoted references to a particular Sticky post if necessary.

not sure if this is the right place to ask this. but i will anyway.

ive got a problem with my new gen v wagon. i went to go surfing today and i found out i cant leave my keyless entry key in the car and take the key part with me because the car does not lock and can be started while the key is inside the car. does anyone know a work around so i can lock my car and go surfing.

not sure if this is the right place to ask this. but i will anyway.

ive got a problem with my new gen v wagon. i went to go surfing today and i found out i cant leave my keyless entry key in the car and take the key part with me because the car does not lock and can be started while the key is inside the car. does anyone know a work around so i can lock my car and go surfing.

get a waterproof key bag and put it in the pocket of your surf shorts. that's what I do. Guys also bring their phones in the water with them by the same method.

If you want to disable the TPMS light it shall be sufficient to insert a switch on the wire at the green area in picture below:

It shall be a Red/Yellow wire at pin 2.

Same pin seems to be used both on 4th and 5th gen.

TPMS Wiring on 4th gen.

http://www.bedug.com/pics/Subaru/TPM.png

TPMS Wiring on 5th gen, next connection is on instrument cluster (excluded). The i2/R339 connector is located behind the panel to the left of the pedals.

http://www.bedug.com/pics/Subaru/5thgentpms.png

Location of box on Sedan:

http://www.bedug.com/pics/Subaru/LGT_TPMS.jpg

I would recommend inserting a switch or a connector that can be re-connected in case you want to sell the car or for some reason want to enable the feature again.

There's also a larger connector joining the side harness with the instrument panel harness to the left of the "dead" panel in the driver footwell where this wire can be found - if you think that will be easier to access.

http://www.bedug.com/pics/Subaru/P1010018.jpg

Thanks to BigBopper for pics in car.

awesome! thanks! im going to use 5 wheels/tires so now i wont have to worry about finding a tire store that will hook me up with a reprogram every time i rotate the tires, or shell out the extra cash for my own system.