LegacyGT.com

5th Gen - Tricks and tweaks

The OM says that the fuel tank capacity is 18.5 gallons.

The OM says that the Low Fuel Light "illuminates when the tank is nearly empty approximately 2.6 US gallons."

The OM also says "This light does not turn off unless the tank is replenished up to an internal fuel quantity of approximately 3.7 US gal."

The max fuel load I've taken on is 18.068 gal, and that was after driving with the dashes showing up on the MF display for about 10-15 miles. Whenever I have gone on to see the dashes in the MF display, I took on right about 18 gallons. I'm guessing that our tanks are actually around 20-21 gallons capacity, which includes a decent reserve. I don't panic when the dashes show up, I know I've got 50+ miles left. BTW, I have a 2.5L, and I average 29.5 MPG over 38,000 miles.

So if the light comes on when it then takes on 18 gallons, then the 2.6 gallon reserve is quite comfortable.

This is wrong. It is an 18.5 gallon tank including the 2.6 gallon reserve. I have actually run out of gas before, and after splashing a quart or so into it, I filled up and it took 18.2 gallons.

The light goes on when 16+/- gallons have been used, with only the 2.6 gallon reserve is left, the MF display continues to show miles remaining until it reaches 20, at which time it switches to dashes, and literally, you have 1-1.5 gallons remaining in order to make it to a gas station. I know this because I typically run my car until the dashes show on the display, and then I put 17-17.5 gallons in to fill it up.

Edited by GTEASER

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I'll go with that. I was wondering if anybody here ever ran dry. I was tempted to do it intentionally.

But when does the MF display go to dashes? I've seen it go to dashes with anywhere from 70 to 30 miles remaining. It is not the same all the time. And the low fuel light comes on around with around 70-90 miles remaining.

Generally seems to be fuel light at 3 gallons left (almost exactly, I had the light come on once just as I was pulling into the station and put in 15.5 gallons) and dashes at ~1 gallon left in my experience as well.

But when does the MF display go to dashes? I've seen it go to dashes with anywhere from 70 to 30 miles remaining. It is not the same all the time.

it is based on your current avg fuel economy but IDK how it could go off after displaying 70. if I'm mid highway trip and getting really good gas mileage, around 28 MPG, it will go to dashes after displaying 40 miles remaining. if I'm beating the car for its lunch money I've seen 10 (only twice both times after i had been autocrossing at WBM and getting well under 10MPG)

I have actually run out of gas before, and after splashing a quart or so into it, I filled up and it took 18.2 gallons.

Okay, I'll go with that. I was wondering if anybody here ever ran dry. I was tempted to do it intentionally.

;)

it is based on your current avg fuel economy but IDK how it could go off after displaying 70. if I'm mid highway trip and getting really good gas mileage, around 28 MPG, it will go to dashes after displaying 40 miles remaining. if I'm beating the car for its lunch money I've seen 10 (only twice both times after i had been autocrossing at WBM and getting well under 10MPG)

At the Winter Safe Driving Class at Team O'Neil, they tell you to fill up before the course and I always reset one of my trips. Of course, it's the dead of winter in northern NH, so when a couple of instructors rolled into the hotel we were all meeting at, I went out and started my car to warm it up. It was a ridiculously cold morning.

By the time I lined my car up for the first lesson and an instructor hopped into the front seat, he noticed that I was averaging 7 MPG. So, driving around on a bunch of snow in second gear all day actually improved my gas mileage from that point.

Just looking for some sort of consistent behavior. When I see 100 miles left, I start to wonder, "When is it going to go to dashes this time?"

Thought it had something to do with current Avg. MPG. but in that regard, I get fairly consistent MPG. Nothing to explain the miles remaining indicator from apparently randomly going to dashes over a range of 70 to 30 miles. That is a huge range, requiring a huge MPG/tank variance, I don't get that variance. I don't track/beat on it, and I drive for MPGs.

I used to have diesels, and regularly got >> 600 miles per tank. I'm spoiled and trying to figure out the fuel level system so I know how far I can push it.

I pushed the Legacy to 603 miles on a tank, the dashes were on for a LONG time, and it only took 17.3 gallons, and I pack it when I refuel.

BTW, my VW diesels had a tank rated at 14.5 gallons, but could take on over 16 gallons when refilling.

Hey guys, I used to lease a 2013 Legacy and while looking for hacks for the 6th gen, I ran into this really well made PDF by eps105.

It deals really, really well how to remove the navigation lockout and how to enable push button control on the rear camera. Hope it comes in handy.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-2014/20439-subaru-navigation-system-tips-tricks-lockout-override-10.html#post209308

The MF MPG tweak is great, I recommend people calibrate their MPG indicator.

Does anyone know how to do the same on a 2012 Impreza? I have not been able to find the technique to adjust the MF MPG indication on the 2012 Impreza.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Anyone know if there's anyway to change the Gawd-Awful ringtone for the blue-tooth phone?

Can we at least adjust the volume? It's ear splitting!!

Yes, you can adjust the volume (well, you can if you have Nav). However, I don't remember how off-hand and would need to sit in the car to find it.

If you don't have Nav, then I dunno. I'd still assume you could.

I've tried that using the volume knob, but alas......no success! :spin:

I believe you need to use the volume button on the steering wheel to control the hands free volume.

I set it up when I first got the car so my memory is a little foggy. I'm pretty sure it's the steering wheel mounted controls that work

The volume for the Bluetooth is those 5 buttons (numbered 1-5) on the bottom of the screen showed while on a call. Not very intuative at all. The volume knob and steering wheel volume will just control the music volume. Not sure if there's a way to change the ringtone itself.

• 1 month later...
how do i turn off the beep when locking and unlocking the car? i tried what was in the owners manual and wasnt able to get it to work but had no luck.

If it is the same as my WRX, with the door open, hold the lock or unlock button down for like three seconds. You will get a flashing light indicator that means now you have light indicator and no sounds, then if you do this again, you shut off lights and sounds. Then you just have to listen for the audible manual sounds of the doors locking and unlocking.

Hope that is still the same fix

I think I posted my possible door chime and lights fix on the wrong post.

If it is the same as my WRX... you, with the driver door open, hold down the lock button on key fob for like three seconds. then it gives you a light indicator with no beeps, then if you do this again it will silence beeps and shut off light indicators as well.

hope that works

• 5 months later...
For any of you who use aftermarket wipers, I just found out that if you swap out the plastic J hook connector from stock wipers and snap it on to aftermarket wipers, they seat A LOT better and don't wiggle around the hinge. This reduced my wiper chatter to near zero.

For any of you who use aftermarket wipers, I just found out that if you swap out the plastic J hook connector from stock wipers and snap it on to aftermarket wipers, they seat A LOT better and don't wiggle around the hinge. This reduced my wiper chatter to near zero.

I've never had this problem, what kind of blades are you buying?

I've never had this problem, what kind of blades are you buying?

Piaa Sporzas. With the included adapter, they would have some lateral play. The lower end of the driver side wiper especially would wobble and produce windshield chatter and clicking when the wiper changed direction. After the switch, both wipers are very solid and most importantly, silent. I just regret not thinking of doing this years ago :lol:

• 2 months later...
Does anyone know how to have the doors unlock when I take the key out of the ignition? How about putting the windows down from the key fob?

If those are possible with stock hardware it would be news to me. My fob doesn't even have a window button.

Does anyone know how to have the doors unlock when I take the key out of the ignition? How about putting the windows down from the key fob?

Ann aftermarket remote starter or alarm system could do that, or at least the first.

The BIU doesn't have those functions.