LegacyGT.com

Home improvement photos

CapnJack

• Moderators
I haven't pulled up any of the linoleum but you can tell it's bent pretty good from the cracking underneath. Threw a small torpedo level on it and it doesn't look pretty.

Might try a bit of self leveler if you want to go that route.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was the thought...

Pull up the floor, do all demo, clean up and evaluate. Mold, water, cracking, etc.

Decide where to go from there. The ceiling is already pretty low (right around 7 feet) so I'm hoping the floor isn't TOO bad so I don't lose a lot of height with the leveling concrete.

• Moderators
That was the thought...

Pull up the floor, do all demo, clean up and evaluate. Mold, water, cracking, etc.

Decide where to go from there. The ceiling is already pretty low (right around 7 feet) so I'm hoping the floor isn't TOO bad so I don't lose a lot of height with the leveling concrete.

Self leveling stuff cannot be poured more than an 1" thick in most applications. More than that and I think you're just pouring more actual concrete, which in many cases you would also be demoing the whole subfloor--I don't think most contractors like to pour concrete over-top-of concrete...

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Or rip out the old concrete and pour new with a rebar net embedded.

But that's a tough job.

In any case - make sure you don't trap humidity under whatever you put on the basement floor or you will end up with some "interesting" things growing there...

453747.png

I don't think it's that bad. I won't know until I demo more/anything.

If it's that bad, I'll have to do Nature Stone.

Do you have any experience with Nature Stone? I've considered it for my basement as well.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

decided to run wire through the wall for our two front surround speakers yesterday.... Rather than have them on speaker stands. The next stage of baby proofing has begun.

Pain in the ass job! But...... Now all my speaker wires (for two entertainment system setups) are fully through the wall, floor, and ceiling. I hate exposed wires! :lol:

Do you have any experience with Nature Stone? I've considered it for my basement as well.

My boss had it done in his basement. He had about 500 sqft done between three rooms and a hallway. I think he said it was about $3500 which works out to $7 sqft, installed. I would be doing a 20x12 rectangular room which is simple compared to his. He mentioned he talked to the guy installing it about how quoting works... color and thickness (factoring in uneven floor) play into it, area to be covered, and corners that need to be navigated. Three rooms and a hallway is a lot more corners and leveling work for a single pour than one single room with four corners.

I want it because it's virtually ideal for a basement floor. It insulates it because it's porous, it drains, it breathes, and it can't be ruined if the basement does flood. I also believe the epoxy they use is antimicrobial too. The only downside is price that I can tell.

I've got 800sq.ft between 3 rooms that I want to do sometime soon. The concrete subfloor is uneven but not terrible. Thanks for the ballpark $$$. I may give them a ring sometime soon.
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

We used Dricore as underlayment in our basement, and then went with laminate flooring over that. In unfinished areas, i just kept it dricore, with no top/finished layer.

Dricore is nice, but pricey. Put down about 1300 sq ft of it.

Before/After of my front door.

-Before was 2-30" hollow-core doors with 15" single pane sidelights.

-After is a 42" (2.25" thick) hand-built solid oak door with 18" casement style sidelight windows.

Very nice. Much much better.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

We own a home on a large river and recently bought a fixer upper (aka; firewood) on a lake. The existing building was a partially finished garage with great room, two bedrooms and electrical closet. We added on a full bathroom, laundry room with toilet and kitchen. Wife's brother in law is a contractor and we provided some sweat equity. We pulled all the siding, existing carpet and tile. We did the staining, poly and painted the exterior. Turned out nice.