LegacyGT.com

Home improvement photos

CapnJack

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A coworker is having a deck built now and he's one county over from me and was told he didn't need a permit because it's not attached to the house. Who knows. Ask forgiveness, permission, ease, etc. ;)

All kinds of places require permits for simple things like light switch replacement or swapping a hot water tank or kitchen faucet... and we all know how many people get those permits. :lol:

After getting an estimate on the permit and time for approval/inspection/etc, I've ignored it.

5 decks later, I still don't have a permit for any of the work.

Yeah, 5 decks. That was before I discovered race cars were so much more of a money pit than house remodeling...

I left 5000 pounds of demo debris on my front sidewalk in Bagster bags for a week without a permit and I know we needed permits for demo. A friend essentialy razed her house and built new and while they were finishing the driveway pour, literally the last thing on the list, they got dinged for no permits. $500 fine later, all was well, but they had all their ducks in a row with plans, pictures, and whatnot anyway.

The other problem for not getting a permit is when you try to sell your house and the appraiser notices an attached add-on to the house and pulls the permits. Most times they don't, but I have heard a few stories when I was in the business that the seller needed to get permits which cost fines and a delay in selling the house. Anything being attached to the house construction wise needs a permit. Pouring a concrete slab for a back patio does not require a permit, since it's not "officially" attached to the house. This is based off CA regulations.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Yeah... the floating deck I'd be building would not be attached to the house at all.

That said, I'm 99% sure tearing down and rebuilding my non-attached garage would require a permit for more than just the electrical. Go figure.

Thinking about something like this with a pergola.

http://hgtvhome.sndimg.com/content/dam/images/hgrm/fullset/2012/12/14/0/DYCR608_floating-deck_s4x3.jpg.rend.hgtvcom.1280.960.jpeg

The other problem for not getting a permit is when you try to sell your house and the appraiser notices an attached add-on to the house and pulls the permits. Most times they don't, but I have heard a few stories when I was in the business that the seller needed to get permits which cost fines and a delay in selling the house. Anything being attached to the house construction wise needs a permit. Pouring a concrete slab for a back patio does not require a permit, since it's not "officially" attached to the house. This is based off CA regulations.

Usually (around here) an appraiser just comes up with a price based on market comps and the features... The potential buyer can however express interest in any additions or work done, and ask to see the permits which can kill the deal, or force you into a world of shit with the city to get permits after the fact.

Regulations change city to city. I know contractors who don't do work in certain cities because of how nuts they are. Around here you need a permit for things not attached to the house as well, such as sheds and permanent pools etc.

When I took out my home equity loan the appraiser never saw the house in person. It was a "desktop appraisal".

When we first moved into our house, no permits were needed except electrical. Then my city discovered how much money was in permitting. Now everything requires a permit. 95% of the houses here were built in the 1950's. Nothing is to code, so you have 2 options: get a permit and a massive remodel bill; don't get a permit and hope no one notices.

I've always used like-for-like as justification for not getting one.

Our first electrical contractor worked on a permit. Then bribed the inspector to sign off on improper work. By the time it all got sorted, the chief inspector for the state had 10 pages of "issues" with our house, we sued the electrical contractor, got counter-sued, the original inspector got relieved, the contractor lost their primary client market, and we found another firm who charged 1/3 the original estimate to rip out the original work and redo it.

The last guy we used did our garage for cash. The inspector failed the work because I refused to cover the wires coming out of the 2ndary panel. I tacked a piece of drywall over it, got another one to come out, got the sticker, then removed the drywall.

Now I just don't care. :-)

Our local municipality won't allow home owners to do their own electrical. It must be done by a licensed electrician. When I asked about it and explained my qualifications, he wouldn't listen and told me to read the ordinance. I read the ordinance and it clearly stated I could do my own work. Asking the inspector again, he told me that's not the way they do it and refused to issue me a permit. Ended up having to hire an electrician for several hundred dollars of work I could have easily done myself.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a "courtyard" between the house and garage. concrete that's currently there is cracked and sagging a little. I want to level it.

two options. Concrete or a deck. it would be a floating. Trying to price out the deck option now and then I'll get some quotes for concrete. I like the additional height a deck would give me (I can go up over the garage siding with a deck, with poured concrete the pad would probably have to be demoed and it would overall be lower than a deck)

I found Bison adjustable posts which might be okay for the not level concrete to support the deck, but curious how you guys would build a level deck in this space?

http://i.imgur.com/olWdoNc.jpg

Edited by Rhitter

I would do a patio/concrete apron from that door out a few feet until you get to a height that you can use the proper framing runs (likely 2X8 or thereabouts) for the remaining area, and build a deck. Then you can just use concrete footers of varying heights. Not sure about CA code, but you likely cant use the concrete slabs as a footer for a deck out here from what I gather.

You can use 2x6 16" OC as long as your span isn't more than 6 feet. I like JJ's concrete apron idea. I would demo the old concrete, pour the apron, and put the deck on concrete piers on solid ground rather than the old concrete. You can rent an electric jackhammer for pretty cheap and when you're done order a concrete dumpster.

Post pics of the other sides of the courtyard.

My neighbor had a couple "squares" of his driveway done like that... couple hundred bucks and a couple hours and they were done. Way cheaper, faster, and easier than demo and pour fresh as long as the rest of it's in good condition.

:spin:

They have services that drill a hole under the slanted slabs, then pump in medium to level the base. Its quick, cheapish and easy.

Its called "Mudjacking"

Good option. It also depends on the condition of the slabs. Also sounds like he wanted to level it off.

Not sure what the threshold or limit would be on the mudjacking...? Some of those slabs look pretty bad!

i've known about this thread forever, but should start participating. some major work being done on the new home.

just got done refinishing the 20 year old deck, so we can put off a new one for a year or two. pressure washed (had algea, moss, lichen and dirt so thick between boards that water couldn't get through), paint removal, cleaner, and 2 coats of semi transparent. rails are being painted white-ish at the moment.

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

My call on it, a deck would be more decorative and concrete would be more practical. It's all about how you want to use the space and how it should look.

Slabs in terrible condition and then there are a couple extra slabs that need to be part of the "level".

Going to use the space as a basement. Gym and laundry room. The deck might be more decorative, but I think it might also be cheaper.

It will only be about 18 inches tall at its highest

Edited by Rhitter

My call on it, a deck would be more decorative and concrete would be more practical. It's all about how you want to use the space and how it should look.

Concrete wears too. As you can see :lol:

im all for what makes sense there. I cant get a great feel for the space, so im just 100% sure. I would kinda like pavers over concrete!

is heat an issue?

wood won't be as hot in the sun, as opposed to concrete. as long as you don't paint the wood with some sort of thick black paint.

we almost got a composite deck but stopped due to heat. when we do redo the deck it'll be wood (cedar or ipe).

renting a jackhammer to make holes for your footings and then building a deck sounds good. but i'm not paying or doing the labor. ;)

does the concrete "drain" away from the house at it's current angles?

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

i've known about this thread forever, but should start participating. some major work being done on the new home.

just got done refinishing the 20 year old deck, so we can put off a new one for a year or two. pressure washed (had algea, moss, lichen and dirt so thick between boards that water couldn't get through), paint removal, cleaner, and 2 coats of semi transparent. rails are being painted white-ish at the moment.

It would of been cheaper and faster to rebuild the deck. :lol::p

My wife's balls are delicious.