LegacyGT.com

Home improvement photos

CapnJack

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually the power coming into the house is on aluminum but as it's been said, it's the terminations that need tending to. The videos I peeped for upgrading the panel listed some kind of grease or coating or something for the ends of the supply wires from the pole.

Slowly repainting the exterior of my house. This is only one coat of paint so far (needs one more) you can see the old color (on the house). Probably 40+ hours of work into the garage. So, much scraping. Every time I thought I was done, there was more scraping. I used a paintbrush to paint in the cracks, then rolled the wood siding. Next coat will be done with a sprayer. I wanted to make sure there was a good solid coat in the cracks and I think a paintbrush was the best for that. There are still areas of dry rot that need to be fixed along the bottom of the garage. I got something called "RotFix" that I will try over the summer / when it hasn't rained for a month.

http://i.imgur.com/Os4pGGr.jpg?1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
Built a deck off the master bedroom, added a hot tub, then added a patio door to the master. Now we can walk out of the master and relax in the hot tub. The only access to the deck is through the master. That way nobody can sneak up the stairs to take a dip.

1789300696_19029361_10155414388774133_1843563099923293321_n(2).jpg.e4c4ffec9e003c1c8b49b43f50b1d34a.jpg

19030218_10155414388259133_2130668585159110103_n.jpg.345c1714b4569cb94413b1eb25d27a89.jpg

Heck that's only about 6 ~ 7 feet off the ground. Put a few of those 2 X 10's on an angle and just slide it up the ramp. Very nice addition to your home, when does the screen porch enclose it all :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Curious. How do you get the hot tub up there? :lol:

We actually had 6-8 friends come over for a cook out on the scheduled day of delivery to help lift it up. Then it down poured all day. Lifting a hot tub in the rain is very difficult and dangerous because it's so slippery. We weren't able to get everyone back over again for several weeks due to schedules and had to put the railings on to close the building permit so I did a little research. I pulled it up some ramps with a chain fall, load leveler and straps. I actually did it myself in about an hour. Similar to this:

Gonna guess it was put on before the railing

Yes. We scheduled delivery (kind of) before we put the railings on. Worked out great!

Heck that's only about 6 ~ 7 feet off the ground. Put a few of those 2 X 10's on an angle and just slide it up the ramp. Very nice addition to your home, when does the screen porch enclose it all :lol:

Pretty much! It's only 6 feet off the ground, but the tub weighs about 600lbs and it's awkward. I used five 2x8s and made a ramp and pulled it up. They slide very easily.

We want to leave it open as we have a pond view and don't want to obstruct the view. Plus the tie-in with the roof line of the house is difficult with a screened in porch. The hot tub portion of the deck is built to put a gazebo on it at some point, so we may do that and can screen it in.

... And high hedge row!

That is also planned! We are going to install some short lattice in the interim that can be removed at a later date.

When I had a hot tube installed in one of my previous homes we had to rent a crane to lift it over the house and placed in the backyard. Was actually pretty cool to help direct the crane operator as he couldn't see past the top of the roof line.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Has anyone here installed a patio, or had a patio installed for them?

I'm looking at something 14x16' or maybe 16x18' roughly. I was going to say just normal, non-stamped concrete to keep it cheap (I also hate chairs and tables that rock, looking at you stamped concrete) and I'll spruce it up by building myself a pergola, let the girlfriend go crazy with potted plants and window baskets, etc.

What was everyones' costs? Pavers themselves are unholy expensive and digging down 8-10" of clay to prepare the bed for pavers sounds like it would suck. If I had some concrete folks out, I'm sure they'd have a skidsteer which would make quick work of it. I would also need some minor regrading of my yard for drainage after digging out the patio. Problem is, I don't know if a concrete contractor is going to want to touch a job that's only 3-4 yards of concrete.

Anyone? Bueller?

I've dabbled...

A landscape company would probably pour the concrete for you. You don't really need a concrete guy for that. With that being said - any contractor will touch the job for the right cost. Get some prices and compare and contrast.

A surprising cost (if you choose to use them), are those black plastic retaining edges. They were more expensive than I would have thought. A patio that size should be done right.. go down to proper depth. Stone chips...tamp it all down... sand.... and then set them. If I recall, about 5-6" of crushed stone and about 1" of sand is the proper amount.

When im doing a small area, I will just bring it down to dirt, and put a 1/4 to 1/2" of sand down...

But for something significant as you're planning, I'd do it right. Either way, im not an expert, but have had decent luck with them in the past.

Has anyone here installed a patio, or had a patio installed for them?

I'm looking at something 14x16' or maybe 16x18' roughly. I was going to say just normal, non-stamped concrete to keep it cheap (I also hate chairs and tables that rock, looking at you stamped concrete) and I'll spruce it up by building myself a pergola, let the girlfriend go crazy with potted plants and window baskets, etc.

What was everyones' costs? Pavers themselves are unholy expensive and digging down 8-10" of clay to prepare the bed for pavers sounds like it would suck. If I had some concrete folks out, I'm sure they'd have a skidsteer which would make quick work of it. I would also need some minor regrading of my yard for drainage after digging out the patio. Problem is, I don't know if a concrete contractor is going to want to touch a job that's only 3-4 yards of concrete.

Anyone? Bueller?

Concrete cost is so variable based on local conditions. I did a project in VA that the concrete was 5x that of one in WI for similar work. WI was over saturated and VA the contractors could pick and choose who they did work for.

That said, my wife and I just had a quote done for a patio in our backyard and it was stupid cheap. There is a lot of construction in our subdivision and we called one of the guys pouring all the driveways. The largest cost in a small job is mobilization and partial loads. If you can get a couple of neighbors that want to do concrete, it can spread some of that out, you can order a full load, and it helps everyone in the long run.

• I Donated
That said, my wife and I just had a quote done for a patio in our backyard and it was stupid cheap. There is a lot of construction in our subdivision and we called one of the guys pouring all the driveways. The largest cost in a small job is mobilization and partial loads. If you can get a couple of neighbors that want to do concrete, it can spread some of that out, you can order a full load, and it helps everyone in the long run.

Yeah, that's what I'm going to do to get my driveway widened a bit. All the asphalt contractors I had out said $2000 just to get equipment out to my court, and then the actual job would only be around $500. So I'm going to wait until our one neighbor on the court who hasn't had his driveway redone yet gets it repaved this fall, and piggyback on his job.

I was going to do that with a neighbor who wanted about 8-10 of his driveway squares done (ours are 4-5 cars long by a car wide) so we could use most of a truck of concrete but he ended up fixing his driveway (sagging/cracked blocks) by getting those foam people out and jacking it up.

A coworker's husband does concrete and he says for him to do it as a side job would be $500-1000 but I don't know what all that included. He also said for his company to do it, it's too small and recommended pavers but those are way too expensive. I'm leaning toward concrete so I can just get those metal fence post tie things and anchor them to the concrete for the pergola posts.

how much for pavers? You have 225 sq ft. you can go cheap concrete rectangles at home depot for like $1.70 a piece (8 X 16")... That would be under $500.00 (plus sand, gravel, etc).

The sand, gravel, etc is generally as expensive as the pavers in my experience. Then you've got the site work to prep it.

Then you have to pick them up from Home Depot. Trust me when I say not to more than 500 lbs of pavers in the trunk of a Legacy... :redface: