• Every other OCIs (7500 miles)
    • Once a year
    • Every two years
    • Every 15000 miles
    • Every 30000 miles
    • Every 60000 miles
    • Remove it completely
    • Never

Subaru feeds the turbo oil that has already been through the heads. The heads are known to give off contaminants. The filter is supposed to capture these and stop them from contaminating the turbo bearings.

There is a method to the madness.

This seems interesting (to me at least...). If the oil has already been through the head it would not be pressurized. I'd love to see a schematic of this to get it straight in my head. I looked through the digital FSM but it doesn't show oil galley routing or internal oil galleys in the head.

I could see the turbo being fed off an oil galley that runs through and feeds miscellaneous parts of the head as it would need to be under some sort of pressure in order to make it to the turbo. Now depending on what it runs to and "through" there could be some drawback of the oil when the engine is not running and possible contamination.

I guess I'm trying to satisfy my own curiosity here. If anyone has a schematic or can explain further feel free to PM me or post here if it adds content to this thread.

Thanks.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Subaru feeds the turbo oil that has already been through the heads. The heads are known to give off contaminants. The filter is supposed to capture these and stop them from contaminating the turbo bearings.

So rather than have head cheese get into the turbo bearing we starve it of oil? Talk about the lesser of two evils!

That said, I'm happily running your bypass line on my 16G.

I have read on here that the 08s+ don't have the filters (and there also seems to be some doubt if the 07s have them). If true, do you know why that is or did they redesign the oil feed system?

I have read on here that the 08s+ don't have the filters (and there also seems to be some doubt if the 07s have them). If true, do you know why that is or did they redesign the oil feed system?

also, i just realized you have an 07 not an 05-06. the banjo bolt is actually under the inlet and not on the back of the head.

see this quote for 07 ^^.

All 4th Gen LGT's have them. 07-09 the oil galley used to feed the turbo was moved by Subaru. Old galley still exists, but it is now plugged. No better feed though.

REPEAT all 05-09 LGT's have screened banjo bolts. 1 on each side of the motor. Subaru has used even more in the past. Up to 4 in a single motor.

That said, I'm happily running your bypass line on my 16G.

I've seen this mentioned a bit. Is there a detailed write up for the installation of the lines anywhere?

I have used the longer Purlator filters in the past. Now both my cars are on Amsoil oil and filters. I think I use EA15k13 filters.

For anyone interested in running them the longer/higher capacity Purolator Pure-One filters are part number PL14610. Where the standard Purolator Pure-One part number is PL14612.

Or just run these, like I do:

http://www.infamousperformance.net/media/03/a20791513b6c025ef9b17d_m.jpg

Subaru 2.0L Oil Filters & Crush Washers - 6 Pack for LGT/WRX/STi

Basic oil line kit install instructions:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/filtered-turbo-oil-supply-line-kit-w-instructions-173373.html

These look a bit longer than the recommended filters (for the 05 obxt at least). Are they a larger, higher capacity filter like the Purolator ones I'm looking at?

For reference the PL14610s are 3.5" tall vs. the PL14612 (recommended for my application) at 2.5" tall. Both of these parts have the same mounting plates and diameter. You are essentially getting an extra inch of filtering medium with some 30% increase in capacity.

Nice! Thanks!

Subaru 2.0L Oil Filters & Crush Washers - 6 Pack for LGT/WRX/STi

I bought 6 of those too, rumor has it they are being super-seeded by the Honeywell blue filters.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Not yet. Honeywell blue are still the standard. Theses are technically listed for 2.0l applications.

Yes they are taller. More total filter area.

I still sell both, but we have switched over to the black Tokyo Roki unless a customer specifies.

A side by side pic for reference.

20130104_192100.thumb.jpg.b0343181974e513cf97b9b0ff73fa25e.jpg

Interesting I went in to a subaru dealer where i know the parts guy and asked for a filter for the 2012 Impreza and he said they are all the same blue part number now, even showed me the screen.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Archived