• Every other OCIs (7500 miles)
    • Once a year
    • Every two years
    • Every 15000 miles
    • Every 30000 miles
    • Every 60000 miles
    • Remove it completely
    • Never

OK... so suppose you remove it.... and there is "material" that was plugging it.

Where do you think that "material" will go without the filter in place?

That's right... directly into your turbocharger bearings. lol.

You people are silly.

I pulled mine to check it... and then re-installed. With 5K OCI with Valvoline Dino 5W30, I had nothing in the filter.

I'll check it again when I pull the motor next time a clutch is needed. :lol:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^^I already covered that:rolleyes: Let me repeat my self. I vote every 30k. If you going to leave it in. Other then that, this is what I would do. 1) Check it at 30k, if filter bolts are clean. Remove them, because you oil & filter for your OCI's is doing it'd job. If dirty; 2) Replace filter bolts with new\clean ones. Upgrade to a better oil & filter. Recheck 30k later. repeat 1&2 until the filter bolts are clean, so you can get rid of them.

What I did & why I did it.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=158

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=813

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

30K? I checked mine for the first time at 126K and there was nothing in it. :lol:

People need to do whatever works for them to give them peace of mind. I wouldn't, however, recommend anyone remove the filter.

Think I previously mentioned this, but I've only used the black Tokyo Roki JDM filter since this car was new - with 3-3.25K OCIs and Valvoline 5W-30 conventional oil.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

How did it look 10k miles ago when it was replaced?

The filter looked maybe 5% clogged. Hardly anything. But again, that was at 38000 miles and I am not the first owner either..That's why I checked as soon as I got the car. I took a picture of it and will upload it later.

It is irresponsible to even have these still installed. A banjo bolt and a vf40 is a ticking time bomb unless you are running a bypass oil filtration system like hmmrdwn. Remove remove remove

A very irresponsible statement indeed with no factual basis.

Check it every 60,000 miles if you must, change your oil religiously and you will surpass 200k,as I any many others have.

How did it look 10k miles ago when it was replaced?

btw, that's how mine looked 10000 miles ago. That was around 38000 miles. IF we assume that the previous owners (2) did not touch it (and I doubt they did since they were not mechanically inclined), then that's after 38K. Now I have no idea if the previous dudes were following their OCIs.

FLS_0028.JPG.24af2e7bd633b47369c72c24eea5d01f.JPG

^ May end up being bitching and moaning by the time you're done... unless your turbo is already out, then it really could be S&Gs... :)
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

It is irresponsible to even have these still installed. A banjo bolt and a vf40 is a ticking time bomb unless you are running a bypass oil filtration system like hmmrdwn. Remove remove remove

^^^ :rolleyes:You mean Hammer Down:lol::)

Mike

No I think he meant HAMMER DOWN

LOL rolling eye's

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 8 months later...
I may be a little off track here but lets examine this... Filter in: For some reason you end up getting material in the filter. Result: cuts off oil flow and BBQ's the bearings. Filter out: Something happens and you get material going to the turbo. Result: possible damage to the bearings but they have a fighting chance of at least not becoming extra cripsy.

I may be a little off track here but lets examine this... Filter in: For some reason you end up getting material in the filter. Result: cuts off oil flow and BBQ's the bearings. Filter out: Something happens and you get material going to the turbo. Result: possible damage to the bearings but they have a fighting chance of at least not becoming extra cripsy.

It's becoming an eternal debate. Best you can do IMO is being very consistent with your OCIs, check often your oil level, and if you decide to keep that filter, check it on a regular basis. How often you may ask? Well :iam:

• 2 months later...

I know this may be covered somewhere but can someone explain why Subaru has these filters here? Is the feed for the turbo pumped via non filtered oil for some reason?

I'm coming from Nissan and and the turbo feed lines never had filters. They were fed from an oil galley that came directly off the oil filtration block (on the Sr20det at least). What did Subaru do differently?

Thanks.

I know this may be covered somewhere but can someone explain why Subaru has these filters here? Is the feed for the turbo pumped via non filtered oil for some reason?

I'm coming from Nissan and and the turbo feed lines never had filters. They were fed from an oil galley that came directly off the oil filtration block (on the Sr20det at least). What did Subaru do differently?

Thanks.

Because, it's a Subaru, we do things different.

I have no idea, but I have removed both of them on my 05.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Because, it's a Subaru, we do things different.

I have no idea, but I have removed both of them on my 05.

Gotchya. So thinking this banjo filter being filled with debris might just be from the bypass being used on the oil filter (because the non filtered oil feed seems pretty silly) has anyone tried a higher capacity oil filter?

I picked up a Purolator Pureone filter for the car the other day and after finding my box and noticing how small the filter was I did some snooping and after a few minutes I found an other Purolator with the same mounting plate (offset, thread pitch and width) but it was about 2 inches longer with I'd say about 75% increased filtering capacity. I'm just wondering if it had been tried. I did it for years on my other cars with no ill effects and I'm going to try it with my Subaru. Unless of course someone objects with good reason.

I have used the longer Purlator filters in the past. Now both my cars are on Amsoil oil and filters. I think I use EA15k13 filters.

I have the number in my account there, I just reorder when needed.

Placed a order yesterday for a case of 5W-40 European full SAPS and two filters. Both cars on a 5000 mile OCI. They both came due at the same time.

Subaru feeds the turbo oil that has already been through the heads. The heads are known to give off contaminants. The filter is supposed to capture these and stop them from contaminating the turbo bearings.

There is a method to the madness.

Archived