2010 LGT Broken Lumbar

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is this seat back removal the same if you have leather? My lumbar just broke today. I haven't looked at me seat back yet.

Good to know this is here if i try to fix it myself.

Late response, but yes it is!

Dont mind my ignorance, but how does one cable change the amount of support?

Edit:Nevermind, re-read the tread and found the video!

I just did mine the other day and I think I inadvertently gave mine more support than the stock piece. I used bailing wire though which is pretty inexact.

This really is a fairly easy fix, just kind of a PITA wedging my giant hands in there and keeping the flashlight on it (if you do it after dark like I did).

• 2 months later...

JLGT,

It is people like you who makes these forums awesome! Super photos, thank you very much! And thank you for showing the quick link piece from Home Depot. This type of thing saves all of us hours of research, either on the computer or standing in Home Depot/Lowes, scratching our heads and wondering.... thanks!!

• 3 weeks later...
How can I tell if mine is broken? Do I need to take the seat apart to tell for sure? I thought my seat was just uncomfortable or I haven't gotten it positioned right yet. But basically when I drive, my lumbar muscle in my back starts to hurt. Someone pointed me to this thread.

• 2 months later...

Firstly big thanks for the walk through on this issue!

I'm from Australia and my seat went bang the other day. After reading this thread I assumed it was the hook that was broken. But after removing back of seat the hooks are all in tackt and seem fine! My issue is the motor that pulls the wire which in turn pulls on the lumbar support isn't functioning. It makes noise when activated but it sounds like something is loose inside unit, and doesn't pull and tighten on the wire. Anyone had this issue?? Looks impossible to remove too, and appears to be fastened to the internal structure of seat.

Mine went pop the other day too. My symptoms are strange, one side of the lumbar still seems to work... I've just set it all the way back for now. I have some quick links, just haven't had time to install them.

I remember reading another post on this thread about someone with a similar symptom (one side went bang, other seemed ok), so I'm hoping mine will be as simple as that!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I keep forgetting about this issue until I get in my car and the "ghetto lean" happens. Pretty sure my right side is broke. I've got a Gold Plus warranty so should I take it in and see if they can do something about it or just do this fix?

well it's easy to check if it's broken, and like a $5 fix to do it yourself. If the dealer does it, they'll use oem parts and those might break again. If you do it, you'll use parts that'll last forever... so your call.

I agree - the OEM solution will be the same clips, which are just going to fatigue and snap again - it's an easy repair using 1/8" chain quick-links and they are substantially stronger than the OEM part.

Two things I would suggest - replace both sides when you do it (the other will fail soon), and the plastic bushing that is in the hole the hooks go through can be saved, just remove them from the seat frame and slide them onto the quick link, then put the quick link through the hole in the seat frame and slide the bushing into place. (I figured it was there to stop noise, so I replaced it)

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
It's really cool seeing this guide I made has had so many views and helped so many people, crazy how it's lived on over the last 7 years. I haven't been active on these forums, but I still own my Legacy GT with 151,000+ miles now, and have not had a lumbar problem reoccur.

• 5 weeks later...

Earlier this month my 2012 Legacy suffered a "broken" lumbar support. Afterwards I stopped at three different repair shops, including my local Subaru dealer. None of them gave any indication whatsoever that they knew what the problem might be, although each was willing to accept my money so they could figure it out. Then I looked online and discovered this thread. What a God-send!

All told, besides reading these posts, looking over the photos, and watching a video on YouTube (see below), the entire project took me about 45 minutes. And I'm by no means "good" at this sort of task.

I'll add three things to the previous:

1) This YouTube video helped me a lot --

2) The Quik Link that worked for my Legacy is 1/8" in diameter. I tried to find something a little thinner at Home Depot and Lowe's, but was the thinnest I could find. Turns out, though, I had no problem getting it through the "eye" of the tab on the back of the seat. Lowe's sells a single 1/8" Quik Link for $1.08.

3) Many thanks to everyone who was willing to provide all this help!

• 1 month later...
I guess mine broke without realizing it. I was in driving a Hyundai Tuscan the other day with GREAT lumbar support. Then when I got into my car, I hit the switch to compare and got nothing, just motor sounds. So I guess this will be added to the to-do list!