LegacyGT.com

How do you keep your interior organized?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Broke my wife the habit of treating her car like a trash can, like it sounds like the OP does.

The trick, stop being such a slob. Our cars are always mint inside. Garbage is thrown out ASAP, even on road trips, we empty the trash at the gas station. We regularly eat in her car but it never ends up dirty.

We also shower regularly, so I figure there might be a connection there :lol:

fixored.

you're a funny guy, not much else to say there, not trying to start "ish" so i'll leave it at that. In my defense, i'm not a cbr squid, and I know my way around a corner more so than probably the majority of kids you meet out in the streets trying to act cool in their tshirts and flip flops (we could run around in circles all day b!tching at each other over this :spin:). I got the Legacy and not the GT because i do have a CBR and don't need a fast car. If i was going to get a fast car i'd probably gone for an STI, or something along those lines. Anyways, let there be peace, i'm not trying to flame or get flamed, so to get back on topic, i got this :[ame=http://www.amazon.com/High-TrashStandtrade-Floor-Litter-Compact/dp/B0000UZ514/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326726387&sr=8-1]http://www.amazon.com/High-TrashStandtrade-Floor-Litter-Compact/dp/B0000UZ514/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326726387&sr=8-1[/ame]

to keep my bottles for recycle. To reiterate i'm not a slob, just don't like throwing bottles in the trash, so i have a few running around in my car :)

in regards to the OP's question, I have kind of been scratching my head on that one too. I've had my '07 LGT for about 2months now, coming off an '04 accord sedan (8 cupholders, 2tiered arm rest storage, big cubby below the stereo, sunglass holder infront of moonroof, etc). presently i use the cupholders for the backseat as my regular cupholders, sunglasses are in the (tiny) armrest storage bin, the front cupholders are usually closed, i put my ipod on the sliding lid, it has a hardcore rubber case, so stays put pretty well, and usually my phone sits on top of the ipod so i can see it, it stays put on the ipod if i dont take turns with too many G's..

my snowboard is living in my car right now, so that takes up half the backseat, unfortunately i have to clean a drop of chocolate milk off the seat.. friend's gf's drunk friend.. :rolleyes: only time i have food in the car is road trips to/from vt and that trash leaves the car often before i reach my destination.

..I had seen something on here about someone looking to retrofit the sunglass holder that replaces the oh-sh!t handle on a volvo, but i think that didnt end up panning out for him. I'd definintely get in on that if it did work.

Not entirely sure how much an added cup holder would help or hurt your situation, but this is what I use. ( http://www.ultimatecupholders.com/containers.html ) I carried it over from my old car and it is something I will have in every car I own in the future. It puts your drink down in the well as seen in the link. That way you have no clutter around the dash, but it is still easily within reach. The added bonus is that should the drink spill (had mine for 4 years and still no spills regardless of driving) it would only spill on your floor mat instead of the electrics. This would open up more storage options for you. Hope this helps. Good luck

I only keep what I need and that's just me, my keys and a lug wrench,jack and tools in the trunk tray. Other wise the car is showroom clean. Has to be clean 365/24/7, it's never trashy/dirty. No one brings food in this car not even me. Finish it or toss it or you'll be walking home.

I have several items that help me be organized.

Xway on the vent for my phone. This only works spring/summer as the adhesive on my phone comes loose whenever the heat is on or it's hot. Tetrax has horrible service and never sent me the replacements they promised.

Panavise inDash mount for iPod. Put it right next to my radio.

Cubby mount for my GPS and I hardwired it in so no cables across my dash.

I also have a single DIN pocket as my aftermarket headunit is single DIN

Trash bag that clips on the headrest and hangs behind the passenger seat.

Will try to get links when I'm on my PC and it's easier.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

I'm still shopping around, but the back seat cup holders are absolutely AWFUL! They don't hold anything! Just came back from NYC, and had 4 people in the car, they all mentioned how bad the cup holders are. I wish the back seat center arm rest held bottles, that would've been a nice thing. The glove compartment sucks too, doesn't hold anything but a few papers (at best). Mine is also a little busted, doesn't close easily. Still getting used to the car, really enjoy a lot of things, dislike a lot of things too. For example, climate control in the car is AWFUL! i set the temp to auto, and 70* the car keeps pumping hot air out. I have to constantly switch it between 65-68 to stay comfortable.

I only keep what I need and that's just me, my keys and a lug wrench,jack and tools in the trunk tray. Other wise the car is showroom clean. Has to be clean 365/24/7, it's never trashy/dirty. No one brings food in this car not even me. Finish it or toss it or you'll be walking home.

:yeahthat:

i can't stand messy cars

stick to the essentials

its a car not a storage place!

Be thankful you dont have the upgraded "dual zone" climate control, aka Subaru TSB 666 "Climate Control Posessed by SATAN".

yeah, seriously.. what is the deal with that thing?!? mine's friggin AC happy. hit AUTO and bam! AC's on.. :confused: and its not like the windows are fogged.. waay inaccurate too. my XC was pretty spot-on. id have my side at 67 and my gf at the time would have hers at 75 and we'd both be fine. I've had the car 2mo and i've used AUTO about 2x i turn it off after about 5min cuz it just pisses me off. :mad:

Hi. Tangent. Sorry..

• 2 weeks later...

I got this thing called "The Wedge" from the wally world, cut out the interior dividers, wrapped it in black perforated leather and hold it in place using black foam we throw out at work. ( I use this foam in the passenger door as well to keep them from rattling. Cheaper than dynamat.)

Made a foam top that wedges into the top and epoxyed a non-slip phone pad so I have a phone platform.

You can see from the photos the tolerances are pretty tight, but theres no issues with it hitting the seat controls. Holds a few small items, and the phone platform. Nothing fancy but I rather like it.

platform.thumb.jpg.0b7cfe1f4aed1253631103d63d0ce0fb.jpg

1810716315_platforminstalled.thumb.jpg.22816620b2eb7f0cf4f36c5d2b430be8.jpg

1617340152_platforminstalled2.thumb.jpg.1f28cc4ca88554541126e2ea5725005a.jpg

A big help is the JDM console that adds a deep storage space below the stock shallow console space. It's my only mod and I wouldn't leave home without it :-)

Why? Do you take it out from time to time? :lol:

where did you pick up a JDM console? Japanparts?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/find-jdm-console-boxiii-138895.html?t=138895&highlight=jdm+console

10% off right nao!

http://www.japanparts.com/db/parts_detail.php?submit.x=38&submit.y=10&NUMBER=00003022&VOLUME=107-015-001&DEALER=&CAR=&MIDDLE=&SMALL=&MAKER=5&VOLKEY=107-015-001&SEARCH_DEALER=&SEARCH_CAR=&SEARCH_MIDDLE=&SEARCH_SMALL=&SEARCH_MAKER=&SEARCH_VOLKEY=107-015-001&SEARCH_page=

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

ill either keep a plastic bag hanging from my shifter over onto the passenger side, or i'll buy one of those giant $.99 peace tea drinks and remove the top with a can opener after drinking and keep that in my cupholder. its a perfect trash can for receipts, straws, etc. and if you get a redbull can you can use that as a trash compressor :lol: but seriously

Another thing I do is keep a pair of thin gloves (mine are mtb gloves) in the back right compartment (wagon). I keep them with my tire gauge, leatherman, spare headlight bulb, spare quart of oil, water bottle, and 1/4 roll of paper towels (full roll doesn't fit). Whenever I check my oil or open the hood I throw on the gloves, this way when I get back in I don't have dirty hands and spread dirt all over the steering wheel, radio, shifter, etc.

If I get back from a bike ride with cut up arms or legs it's nice to have paper towels and water handy. A real first aid kit would probably be worth getting but so far this is all I've managed to keep around consistently.

• I Donated

If any trash accumulates in my car after a drive, I take it out right away. There is a trash can in my garage for this purpose, and most public parking lots, gas stations, convenience stores, etc. have trash cans right there too.

As for what I use different compartments in my car for --

Door pockets: left pocket contains needle-nose pliers, multifunction screwdriver, and umbrella. Right pocket contains quick-detailer and microfiber cloth.

Center console: one cupholder for my phone (or a cup in a pinch), one for a cup if I have one. Any cups, once again, get taken out when I get home or they are empty. Phone charger and aux-in are tied together and come from the center console box; inside the box is my iPod (with cable to the stereo), pen/pencil, Aleve, and micro-4/3s camera. Pocket above radio is used for sunglasses. Ashtray holds coins for parking meters.

Glovebox: scissors, electrical tape, bank envelopes, notepad.

Under passenger seat: tuning netbook (tied into USB and hardwired auto/air adapter coming from under dash)

Trunk organizer: Tools (torque wrench with 19mm socket for wheels, wheel lock key, screwdrivers, pliers, 3/8" socket set), shop towels for checking oil and extra quart of oil, tire pressure gauge and tire pump, reflective safety triangle, Mechanix gloves for changing tires, probably a couple of things I'm forgetting

Around spare tire well: Jumper cables, rain pants for changing tires

The spare headlight bulb is a good idea!

I will eat and drink in my car only if I must. When I get home, wrappers go bye-bye. Probably once a month I do a 30-minute detail of the front of the interior to clean up dust and dirt. The only cleaning supply in my interior is a soft cloth used for cleaning dust off my dash/cd player/gauges/steering wheel

My trunk I am meticulous about, though. I have an OB trunk mat (fits fine), and a long rubbermaid container velcro'd to the trunk mat so it doesn't slide around. In that container I keep all car wash, detailing supplies, jumper cables, torque wrench, 19mm socket, wheel lock key, maglite 3D led, mechanix gloves, a spare headlight, and an extra blanket. Beside that container I keep a box of extra fluids such as engine oil, trans fluid, blinker fluid, and washer fluid.

I don't let people eat or smoke in my car, but drinking is alright.

I don't really have much in my car to keep organized. My phone usually sits in one cupholder and my coffee is usually in the other. I keep nothing in my trunk except a subwoofer, which is screwed into the frame with a bracket so it doesn't shift around.

I honestly find this car way too big outside, yet small inside. The long hood looks nice, but it's an inefficient way to package a vehicle. I miss my old jellybean (my GTI). It was tiny, nimble, and had more interior room than the LGT does. I guess I like small cars. I have no need for a big one, and I prefer the nimble responsiveness of something smaller.

• 11 months later...

Ten Rules for Riding in Walter

1. Dirty/Greasy persons will not be allowed in vehicle. Removal of clothing optional upon approval of driver.

2. Food will not be tolerated without permission of driver before entering.

3. All drinks must be contained in container with a spill-proof lid.

4. All passenger doors must be closed by contact with body panel. Glass is not an acceptable touching surface.

5. Feet/shoes must remain in floorboards at all times. The dash, center console, door, exterior mirror, and moonroof are unacceptable resting spot for feet.

6. Do not adjust radio volume/station/track without driver's approval.

7. Do not adjust HVAC vents not to blow on your face. If you are too hot/cold adjust your personal climate zone.

8. Trunk hatch MUST be closed by using handle integrated to underside. Using hatch lip is not an acceptable closing method.

9. Do not roll windows up or down without driver's approval.

10. Rule breaking or damage caused to car will result in permanent ban of riding in Walter, and a good possibility that I will resent you.

Archived