LegacyGT.com

Hood question

ok, so i'm into the whole 'sleeper' thing(if i didnt need the awd for snowboarding i was going to get a cts-v).. i'm considering going to a FMIC, and I was wondering if replacing the stock hood with a 2.5i scoopless hood would trap too much heat in? lots of turbos out there dont have any hood scoops or anything, so I'm thinking it may not be a big deal.. anyone out there already gone this road??

I would think like most other cars out there the scoop is not needed if you have a fmic.

If you kept the scoop and put a fan under it...then there may be a benefit

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I would think like most other cars out there the scoop is not needed if you have a fmic.

If you kept the scoop and put a fan under it...then there may be a benefit

'kay, thanx. that's what my thinking was, but i was looking for some confirmation. I'm new to the car&all (only had mine < 2mo), my only other turbo exp was with my volvo xc70, but that had a LPT-whole different animal.

hahahahaha.. the fan... :lol: i killed a good 45min earlier this morning reading that whole thread.(yep. work's slow.:rolleyes:) Has anyone done it yet???

They do have more weight ...

hmm... any idea how much more?? anyone know of carbon fiber 2.5i hoods on the market? I had looked briefly before but all i found was the typical ricer cf hood with all the vents&crap.. very non-sleeper.

hahaha good idea! i could even paint ghost flames on top of the hood scoop :lol:

So much for the sleeper.......;)

I have been known to be a bad influence at times.

Seriously, I like idea of the added airflow thru the engine compartment. I was going to make a diverter to pour the air over the turbo. I had a Dodge Shelby Z with a hood vent, it was directed to cool the turbo.

yeah, there's not much of a ricer crowd in town, but i figure if i drive around providence the ghost flames ought to give me a good 7-8hp extra..

i'm with you. i like the idea of added airflow&cooling, which is why i didnt want to just slap a 2.5i hood on there and call it narcoleptic. but if the scoop doesnt do much besides feed the TMIC and advertise to those who 'know' that its a turbo subaru, i could see replacing it..

keep the scoop and put an oil cooler where the tmic used to be...coat ur fmic black for the sleeper appeal and call it a day

Where can i get an oil cooler for up there? in my research i don't recall coming across that mod.. great minds must think alike-that was already my plan for the FMIC :)

haha, thanks for the fyi. i was probably going to crazy trying to track it down.. I woulda been sitting in my padded room mumbling 'its out there... it exists... i know it does... it has to... i was told about it on the internet... everything online is true..' def an idea to look into tho.

Where can i get an oil cooler for up there? in my research i don't recall coming across that mod.. great minds must think alike-that was already my plan for the FMIC :)

but unless it has a fan it will have zero cooling if your stuck in traffic just fyi

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Archived