LegacyGT.com

The Retro has begun. Headlamp overhaul.

VXCL

NICE WORK! Impressed. Looks like I am going to have a hellova time fitting a set of TLs in there... those are MONSTER huge... but I am in love w/ the output they have, esp. with the blue line mod and foreground mods... I am up for the challange though... just waiting on a set of "loaner" housings to put on the car while I destroy mine... I will be sure to take pleanty of pics as well in case anyone else wants to go nuts on the TLs.

Thanks again for sharing your experience Your retro looks fantastic!

Drew

i dont think the problem is fitting the projectors into the housing. if anything is the insider trim that may hit it. you can modify it and maybe create a new small bezel to surround the projector. i would be most concerened about the d2s connector for the bulbs and if it will fit behind the oem cap. there really isnt much room there. my hella gen 4 ignitors barely fit behind them and thats prob one of the smallest connectors out there. check the pics on the first page if you havent seen them yet.

thanks for the props. thought this thread was offically dead. retros arent a big deal on the board since everyone gets h7 kits. a-cl.com was a diff story

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

wondering here, but do the jdm legacies use a different projector for their lights since they have oem hid? and if so, would be be able to get it to fit onto usdm legacy head lights of the same year with little modifications?

so pretty much i'm asking if i can use the same steps u used with jdm legacy projector/ballast/bulbs?

wondering here, but do the jdm legacies use a different projector for their lights since they have oem hid? and if so, would be be able to get it to fit onto usdm legacy head lights of the same year with little modifications?

so pretty much i'm asking if i can use the same steps u used with jdm legacy projector/ballast/bulbs?

if you could actually source the lamps, but it wont be easy, plus shipping form japan is $$$$$. almost no reason to bother when plenty of other d2s projectors are available, in which most are just as good and alot are better.

as far as the rhd vs lhd cutoff that would be annoying to everyone including you the driver. you can just flip the cutoff shield though...

again much easier and cheaper to source bmw, audi, etc.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you Subaru for huge oversized grommet!

Everything just fits! Notice the igniter is built into bulb connector. This allows for the elimanation of the high voltage wire and is easily detached allowing me to run the small black wire through the OEM grommet. This is why I like the Hella Gen IV D2S System. D1S setups basically do the same thing except the igniter is actually built into the bulb which then requires a D1S projector.

so you actually fit the igniter inside the oem bulb cover? ive been lookin at different ballasts trying to figure out which has the smallest bulb connector so as to not have to modify/drill the stock cover.

so you actually fit the igniter inside the oem bulb cover? ive been lookin at different ballasts trying to figure out which has the smallest bulb connector so as to not have to modify/drill the stock cover.

You can only do that on a hella gen IV ballast setup or D1S.

Almost all d2s connectors will fit behind the oem rear cap, but unless you want to cut the wires you will have to modify the rear cap in some way. I don't recommend cutting the high voltage wires, but it can be done. Check my how to and click on the automotive lighting forum. Key thing is to insulate the wires from each other so the current doesnt arc. Much easier to modify the rear cap and the can be sourced from the dealer for cheap.

HOWTO IS FOUND ON PAGE ONE

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

You can only do that on a hella gen IV ballast setup or D1S.

Almost all d2s connectors will fit behind the oem rear cap, but unless you want to cut the wires you will have to modify the rear cap in some way. I don't recommend cutting the high voltage wires, but it can be done. Check my how to and click on the automotive lighting forum. Key thing is to insulate the wires from each other so the current doesnt arc. Much easier to modify the rear cap and the can be sourced from the dealer for cheap.

HOWTO IS FOUND ON PAGE ONE

ok i see..so the key is actually to use a ballast without integrated igniter, so there is no need to run high voltage wiring into the headlight unit. in the case of the hella gen 4 the igniter is built into the d2s connector plug, so there is also no need to mount a separate igniter in the headlight housing. seems perfect for a no-drill hid install

on another note, using the oem projector, is it possible to cover the hole in the cutoff shield without taking apart the housing? like by going through the rear of the projector, as some have done in the camry?

ok i see..so the key is actually to use a ballast without integrated igniter, so there is no need to run high voltage wiring into the headlight unit. in the case of the hella gen 4 the igniter is built into the d2s connector plug, so there is also no need to mount a separate igniter in the headlight housing. seems perfect for a no-drill hid install

on another note, using the oem projector, is it possible to cover the hole in the cutoff shield without taking apart the housing? like by going through the rear of the projector, as some have done in the camry?

yes, my suggestion to that would be to pick up some quick steel clay epoxy and put it on the end of something like a small wooden dowel and just push it into place and cover the opening. It will dry ROCK solid.

I have used it for various things in lots of retros and the heat is no problem for it. Super easy and effective. locktite makes a similar product that is blue and white. This stuff is easily found in auto parts stores and hardware stores.

also everything about the sep ingiter you said is indeed true. this could also be accomplished with a d1s setup, however the hella setup allows you to position the igniter in 4 different locations to help with fitment bechind the rear cap.

peace

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

• 3 weeks later...
Ok brothers in Retro I need help I can not get these damn RX330 ASF's monted help!!!

email me pics and measurements. i just over came some issues with the tsx retro i just did. i have 2 oem units handy, acess to housings, and i saved my mount templates.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

TSX vs FX vs E39 vs OEM H7 Projector Output

TSX

-nicest cutoff, very bright, small focal area, spreads light the worst, emits no light above cutoff

FX

-spreads the light more then tsx, largest focal area but not as bright, cutoff isnt as nice, emits the most light above cutoff

E39

-largest projector w/ 3" lens, speads light the most, emits a decent amount of yellow above center cutoff, brighest focal area but the smallest, emits some light above cutoff

OEM H7

-output is much less then D2S Xenon, cutoff is not crisp, window in cutoff allowing for output down the road, light spread similar to TSX, small focal area similar to e39

Both TSX and FX units are very similar in output and im guessing you could mess with the fx to create some blue and purple in cutoff if desired.

peace

PICS go in order right to left as follows: TSX -> FX -> E39 -> OEM H7 (far then cu)

tsx_far.thumb.jpg.bc1d14c5c4902aae68d5bc9d11fe8453.jpg

fx_far.thumb.jpg.a6d37f700c0ed09b4dbfd1e43b36228f.jpg

e39_far.thumb.jpg.0b3f66eee385c18fa13e09e77d27ed1c.jpg

oemH7_far.thumb.jpg.e7cd17b4c01253760dccad8602215a0f.jpg

tsx_cu.thumb.jpg.327978db8c3c1b0587f2a48379eaadd9.jpg

fx_cu.thumb.jpg.6c81b8f5ddb04c080b972a031a5e2f96.jpg

e39_cu.thumb.jpg.71b136fb173a625189175a172b458fe5.jpg

oemH7_cu.thumb.jpg.351cd9d551c1df3b919436c3c2bae1dd.jpg

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Do you have a similar pic with the BMW set-up we have?

Ted

no but since i have another set of bmw lamps i will hook one up to compare. its going to be VERY different than those :) i will try for later and edit the post

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

wow looking good. I plan on using stock h7 projectors with d2s bulbs. I understand everything up to the point where I have to actually get the headlight hooked up again. I am just clueless as to how the wiring goes. Would appreciate it if someone can do a little write up and post some pics as to where the wires attach/connect.........thanks :icon_bigg

wow looking good. I plan on using stock h7 projectors with d2s bulbs. I understand everything up to the point where I have to actually get the headlight hooked up again. I am just clueless as to how the wiring goes. Would appreciate it if someone can do a little write up and post some pics as to where the wires attach/connect.........thanks :icon_bigg

what parts are you using? post some pics. i have a wiring diagram in my retro guide. go to page 1.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Archived