LegacyGT.com

The Retro has begun. Headlamp overhaul.

VXCL

I just finished my retro over the weekend. I used the same stuff as VXCL did. (Actually, I got everything through him) While I wouldn't call the install easy, it went relatively smooth, and the results are incredible. I will try and get some pictures up ASAP. Last night I went out on some back roads. The HIDs are awesome! Paired with the HIR High beams I can easily see as far as I sould in the past with aftermarket Hella Driving lights. It is Awesome. So thanks for the parts, and the directions Mike!!!! I will put the pics here when I get them!!!

Ted

:spin:

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just finished my retro over the weekend. I used the same stuff as VXCL did. (Actually, I got everything through him) While I wouldn't call the install easy, it went relatively smooth, and the results are incredible. I will try and get some pictures up ASAP. Last night I went out on some back roads. The HIDs are awesome! Paired with the HIR High beams I can easily see as far as I sould in the past with aftermarket Hella Driving lights. It is Awesome. So thanks for the parts, and the directions Mike!!!! I will put the pics here when I get them!!!

Ted

ted great to hear. glad to help. can't wait for some pics. its easy for me to under estimate the install since i've done so many retros. the important part is you were able to get through it without messing anything up and thats really the most important. and i bet your drl still functions properly. its definitely daylight in front of me when im on back roads with the xenons and the highs. its insane. and now i finally have someone to really help back me on a complete retro! welcome to the club!!!!! :)

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

I'm glad to see that a retrofit on the Legacy isn't too difficult. I have a retrofit on my current car and plan on doing one on my next car, provided it's not already equipped with HID. The legacy is on the top of my list right now for my next car. I currently have S2K projectors in my 98 accord OEM housings and plan on transferring them into the headlights of my next car. I was considering an LS430 retrofit, but those projectors are rare and extremely expensive.

Great job on the retrofit VXCL!

I'm glad to see that a retrofit on the Legacy isn't too difficult. I have a retrofit on my current car and plan on doing one on my next car, provided it's not already equipped with HID. The legacy is on the top of my list right now for my next car. I currently have S2K projectors in my 98 accord OEM housings and plan on transferring them into the headlights of my next car. I was considering an LS430 retrofit, but those projectors are rare and extremely expensive.

Great job on the retrofit VXCL!

Thanks. s2k are very nice units, also they would be easier to fit since they are smaller then what ted and I used. however that doesnt mean it will be easy to mount. the thing we have going for us is that the oem unit is mounted to the housing using mounts on the cut off shield. this is VERY UNIQUE!!!! this allows for removal of perfect mounts. you just have to get them to fit on the new projector. that really helps keep things precise.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

...Ken -

I'd say that since you've done an OEM (optics)-to-OEM (housing) retrofit before, you should be well-prepped for this.

What got me, as I was assisting brother Ted with the above retrofit, was that during my retrofit of my Talon's *_AFTERMARKET_* housing, I truly had it too easy and was spoiled, due to the amount of space I had to work with, the amount of freedom I had with what I could cut/trim, and how easily my jury-rigged system got things accomplished due to the crappy aftermarket housing's "open" design.

VXCL's instructions/diagrams were great, as was his phone support - and definitely, while this process isn't "easy," like brother Ted mentioned, with what VXCL provides, it's at least as straightforward as it can get.

:) Good stuff, VXCL!

BTW, I'd highly recommend interested parties to go through him!

----

Ted -

...While I wouldn't call the install easy, it went relatively smooth...

*emphasis added

Er....it's really too bad I don't have a picture of my pwned thumb! :lol:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

TSi i had no idea it was you who was helping ted! i did get a little nervous when i didnt get another call. i figured either things finally clicked or there was a $h!t storm for some reason. i guess i should just post up all the diagram pics i made or finally put something in the how to section. thanks for the support. when are you doing yours?

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Hey bro,

:) Ayup, Ted's a "local" brother, so definitely, I had to help him out!

But honestly, I didn't do much at all except serve as "Vanna White." Like we always say when my buddies and I have our install days, "dude, it's your car, you screw it up!" :lol:

Ted's engineering skills definitely came in handy - heck, had I been doing this myself, I'd love to have had him along!

In any case, I don't think I'll be doing mine. From day-one, I've been more than satisfied with the incandescents on our LGTs - which truly ranks among the best of what (incandescents) I've ever driven. With the baby on the horizon, it's just some $300-$400 that I'm not yet willing to spend. ;)

But hey! Definitely, for anyone looking for better lighting, I'd totally recommend that they approach you for your well-thought-out and complete setup, - not to mention "customer support."

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 2 weeks later...
VXCL,

Any chance that a 2001+ Q45 "Gatling" headlight cluster would fit in the Headlight assembly? I would imagine a lot of cutting would be required, but this is something I'm interested in doing.

-Fred

anything is possible if your going custom, however they are monster units and making it look stock and utilizing the aiming sysytem would be the hardest part. i have never had the chance to get my hands on one of them so i can't say how they compare to others. all i know is they are large and not commonly put into car retros for that reason. trucks is another story. in addtion a projector that size may look akward on the small front end of our legacy.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

My friend told me the s2k units are the best, but the projector size isnt as big. How does projector size effect everything?
generally the larger the size the farther it spreads the light. however its a combo of size and design. i would be proud to have s2k projectors in my car they work very well. however i can't say they are the absolute best. definitely one of the best. if you get your hands on them install them you wont be dissappointed.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

I asked this on the other thread, but got no answer. How did you wire the power to your ballasts? Did you run them directly off the existing plugs, or use the plugs to power a relay/relays that then power the ballasts? I ask because I think these cars may have a "lamp out" detection circuit to tell the mom types that they have a burned out headlight. Is this an issue? It was on my last dodge truck and a major pita.

• 2 weeks later...
I asked this on the other thread, but got no answer. How did you wire the power to your ballasts? Did you run them directly off the existing plugs, or use the plugs to power a relay/relays that then power the ballasts? I ask because I think these cars may have a "lamp out" detection circuit to tell the mom types that they have a burned out headlight. Is this an issue? It was on my last dodge truck and a major pita.

they are powered directly off the batt with a relay setup and triggered off the oem low beam. there is no dash indicator with this setup. ill post a diagram when i'm home. if i forget pm me.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

• 2 weeks later...

Here's all the pics for my how to guide that mayeb one day i will actually make :) Anyways they give the meat and potatoes of the process and other's have used them as a sucessful guide. enjoy.

SEE 1ST PAGE

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
what's the difference from the OEM Legacy Projector and the projector you got?

the oem unit is an h7 halogen projector, while i'm running a hella d2s xenon projector out of a bmw along with the rest of the xenon system.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Have any more night pics with this system? I'm sick of my stock halogen bulbs burning out all the time so I might go with an HID system of some sort.. the bulbs on those seem to last forever.

i will check i can't remember. if i get some time and its not freezing out i will take some more. i ran my last retro setup on my acura all day and night for 2 years and never a single prob. my legacy d2s setup function likes oem so my xenons are drl as well. the bulbs are philips 4100k d2s. they do last a long time however after 2-3 years the output does start to decrease noticably. as far as output my night vision in the rain with xenons is almost as good as oem halogen at night under dry conditions. once you go xenon you'll never go back to halogen. peace

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

i cant believe i still havent gotten around to posting more output pics. im so damn busy with work. anyways over a year later and not a single problem. no more updates my methods are 100% on point.

peace

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

• 1 month later...

NICE WORK! Impressed. Looks like I am going to have a hellova time fitting a set of TLs in there... those are MONSTER huge... but I am in love w/ the output they have, esp. with the blue line mod and foreground mods... I am up for the challange though... just waiting on a set of "loaner" housings to put on the car while I destroy mine... I will be sure to take pleanty of pics as well in case anyone else wants to go nuts on the TLs.

Thanks again for sharing your experience Your retro looks fantastic!

Drew

Stupid question; How are you all getting the clear lens of the front of the light unit?

Isn't it glued in place?

the lamp is sealed with a butyl rubber type sealant. whn you heat it up it becomes gooy and you can pull the lens off. some finese with a heat gun works wonders.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Archived