LegacyGT.com

winter tires....snow ?

Pavoni8297

Hey, I have an 06 Spec b with the OEM Bridgestone Potenza's 215/45/18's I bought a set of 06 WRX wheels 17X7 that I am going to run for the winter.....

I never ran snows....I only used all seasons on my 03wrx wagon......never got stuck

do I get Blizzaks or All Seasons?? Can't Decide

I'd imagine CT gets a good amount of snow.

You could also get performance winters. Better than an all-season, but not as good as a full winter tire in snow & ice. And it's closer to an all-season tire when it's dry.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=SP+Winter+Sport+M3&partnum=15HR7WSM3XL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Subaru&autoYear=2006&autoModel=Legacy%20Sedan%202.5%20GT&autoModClar=Spec%20B

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

I'd imagine CT gets a good amount of snow.

You could also get performance winters. Better than an all-season, but not as good as a full winter tire in snow & ice. And it's closer to an all-season tire when it's dry.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=SP+Winter+Sport+M3&partnum=15HR7WSM3XL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Subaru&autoYear=2006&autoModel=Legacy%20Sedan%202.5%20GT&autoModClar=Spec%20B

I will second this. There is a huge difference in stopping distance between snow tires and all-seasons, and since you have summer tires already there is no reason not to buy real snow tires. Performance ice and snow sound like just what you are looking for.

I had Potenzas, and they were pretty scary in the snow! Make sure to get those off before it does snow!

I would go Blizack since you already have your normal wheels, might as well go all out for the winter.

I have Goodyear Eagle GTs (all season) I am "comfortable" in the snow.

The way Ive viewed the debate is while driving during winter if your tires touch less than 75% asphalt then go for specific snow tires because of the compounds in the rubber. However if there's a mix of mild snow patches and fairly clean driving surface a mid or higher end allseason can handle the whole winter no problem with our AWD vehicles...just food for thought

getting some Nexen Winguard Sports 225/45/17...seem like a decent value and I am concerned about the wear of a pure snow because of the highway miles I do weekly...so a high performance winter is better than an all season...right?

Better in what conditions?

Problem with buying 3rd tier tires (Nexen is not well established brand/company) is that you do not know what their products represent.

Good winter performance tires provide similar performance to good all seasons in dry and wet (with wet being usual weak spot) and beat them on snow and ice.

Lesser winter performance tires usually excel in single condition (usually snow but I think I saw one test where tire excelled in wet and was very bad in other conditions) and are poor to very bad in all others.

Unless you find some test by car/consumer magazine (in any language) that tests particular tire you can rely only on manufacturer claims and I have never seen one claiming: "our tire sucks in all conditions except deep snow". They are all the best and to paraphrase Syndrome from The Incredibles: "if every tire is super none is".

Krzys

This is a review I found on Standard Shift /a saab forum (Apparently this model is relatively new )

http://www.nexentireusa.com/tires-23/WinGuardSport

Nexen is a Korean tire manufacturer that is just recently expanding its European and American product lines. That being the case, the tires are decently inexpensive. I got my set for $129 a tire from Town Fair.

The sport version of the tire was designed for the European market and I would assume the Autobahn. Just by look and feel they are a much sturdier tire than most other winter tires Ive dealt with. The sidewall is sturdy. It must be, considering the V (149mph) speed rating these tires have. I find these to be quite responsive and reassuring to drive with. I can take corners just as fast if not faster than with my bald summer Toyos the car came with.

Now on to the important stuff:

Dry: 5 - Very good traction. Even better considering they are winter tires. Car is surefooted and feels no different than on my old summer tires. Whereas I was scared to go overly fast on the tires I had on the vert, I have no issues with high speed driving with the Nexens on the Viggen.

Rain: 4 - Again, great traction. No, I havent played too much in the wet since putting these on, but from what I did experience they are far more than adequate when it comes to moving water.

Snow: 4 - In today's insanity the car was incredibly easy to control. Undertaking the hill that requires a drop from 5th to 3rd at the legal speed limit (steep bastard) was no issue. I could step the car out just enough and exactly when and how I needed to. Unfortunately, hard-packed snow offers a challenge. Wheel spin is more likely, though still very easily avoided.

Slush: 4 - Best slush driving Ive yet experienced. The tread that makes wet weather driving so simple carries over just as neatly into this more severe weather.

Ice: 3.5 - In the plowed and iced over parking lot of what once was Circuit City, the tires held very well. I had to put some effort into getting the back end to step out. Considering I have the largest ARB one can purchase for Saabs, this is good stuff.

Ride quality: 5 - For winter tires, the ride is downright cloud-like. Thats not to say its perfectly smooth, but it is eons better than most snows.

Road noise: 3 - Not loud, but certainly not quiet either.

Feasibility of sexual encounters: 5 - Secluded winter cabin during a picturesque snowfall? Heck yeah! You can get there when you get there with no trouble

lol....who knows maybe..just got home from getting the tires swapped my 18's were pretty worn so spring need new summers. I do have 30 days to swap if I hate em. They were nice on the drive home...but that could also be from the worn 18's and down sizing for winters. Getting aligned Tuesday.

Anyone know a wheel refinisher in CT?

There is a thread about snows......but for a good quality snow at a great price, General Altimaxx Arctic are awesome.

I run these with 205's and they are awesome in the winter. I had blizzaks before and I rate these just as good.

Archived