LegacyGT.com

coilovers

I said ninja text because I made it white when I first posted it (I promise it was there before you quoted it). It was lowered on Megan Racing coils and previously on H-techs.

I was being entirely sarcastic about cutting springs. Its about the stupidest thing you can do to your car. Other than putting chrome rims with red accents.

It's cool; I'm with the band

everybody knows the proper way to lower your car without spending money is to fill the boot with cement bags after removing struts completely and torching the springs until they settle about 3-4 inches. Then just use the fender while driving to trim off any pesky tire sidewall...
what did u mean when you said. it felt like i was driving a civic? did u mean the car felt like it was more dependable and it was getting better mpg's?

It was a serious question. People do it all the time. I don't know much about suspension. I have a few friends that have done it to their mustangs and f body's. I would rather be safe and spend a little more money. But they had all told me it was fine. So I wanted a second opinion.

I've known about people cutting springs for ride height before. Even Keichii Tsuchiya mentioned he used cut springs when he learned drifting. Every suspension is different and you can try it but be ready with spare parts or take some good data on your driving to determine if you have spring compression to spare.

Ultimately, tell us what do you want the lowering for. I agree that lowering springs should be your first choice for street use and looks. You get ride height and stiffer springs to compensate for the reduced suspension travel. You will notice a change in ride quality.

If you want the car to turn better on track or autox. Then the choices will be different.

But I don't think you want to change springs every once in a while like you mentioned. It's a pain to take the strut out and rebuild just to impress other people once in a while.

It was a serious question. People do it all the time. I don't know much about suspension. I have a few friends that have done it to their mustangs and f body's. I would rather be safe and spend a little more money. But they had all told me it was fine. So I wanted a second opinion.

Im not gonna flame you for not knowing any better, serious question or not. But for real, get some smarter friends!

what did u mean when you said. it felt like i was driving a civic? did u mean the car felt like it was more dependable and it was getting better mpg's?

Don't take offense to any of the flaming legacygirl, I can assure you it would've been much, much worse if you were legacyguy06. Bottom line is don't cut springs. Yes, it has been done in many a shady backyard garage, but is the wrong way to do things.

The lgt is already a compression travel challenged chassis. With that in mind, it really boils down to this:

reasonable budget <=> LOW <=> acceptable ride quality.

pick TWO.

My wagovan was on cut and heated springs. It handled like a champ and rode like complet crap. Smallest bump was hitting the bumpstops. Better yet. Who ever cut the spring just left the cut part still on the strut. I was so low my mudflaps were over half way grinded through. The way i look at it. If its the skinny long honda type spring its safer to cut but if its the big one like we have on the fronts dont touch it. My frirnd wanted me to cut his tien h-tecs for his bmw but i declined. Its just not safe.

Archived