LegacyGT.com

Help me plan my stage 3 work

Alright, so I think I've got all the parts I need collected except for the TMIC, which I'll pick up Monday. This will be the biggest DIY project I've ever attempted, so I want to make sure I plan it out and do it right (this is where you pros come in :D). I've done a lot of reading already so I think I've got a decent hangle on things, but I'm sure I've missed something... :rolleyes:

Here is my current setup:

2005 Legacy GT Wagon, 5MT tranny

Stock clutch, replaced when I bought it less than 5k ago

Stock intake, MAF, Inlet, TB hose

Invidia UP

CNT Catted DP

Stock Cat-back

Cobb APv2

New bits:

BNR EVO3 16g Hybrid

AVO TMIC

Grimmspeed EBCS

Deatschwerks 850cc Sidefeeds

Walbro 255

NGK Plugs

Heat wrap

Here's my plan so far, input appreciated...

Disconnect battery

Remove engine cover

Remove TMIC

Remove DP

Remove turbo (msprank's walkthrough)

Plug swap & Compression test (anyone have a good guide for the test?)

Swap injectors

Wrap up-pipe

Install BNR turbo

Reinstall DP

Install AVO TMIC

Reinstall engine cover

Install Walbro 255

Reconnect battery

Flash Shamar's Tune

Then just make sure oil/coolant/fuel are all primed and crank it? Hoping to get this all accomplished in a ~10 hour window next weekend. Am I missing the boat on anything? :confused:

TIA and thanks for the help you've already provided msprank & bryan@bnr! :wub: Can't wait till it's done! :dm:

I appreciate the comments about expected output, but that's not really my intent for this thread. :) If you're wondering about the reasoning behind the components I chose, the intent was to have plenty of fuel available, even on e85 in -20 degree temps. With the 850's and 255, I should never have to worry.

You may not have posted this because they're details but oil line, gaskets, etc.?

I'd expect a solid 300whp on pump and ~330whp on e85, with plenty of torque

Yes, thank you. I've got new GS UP and DP gaskets, Mr Gasket 738G for the IC, Infamous oil line, & an install kit for the 255. The only thing I haven't grabbed yet is new O rings for the injectors. $30? Really? :p

I've been snapping pics of the stuff... http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r16/turkeylord/LGT%20Stage%203%20Upgrade/

This thread should be titled "Help me plan my stage 3 install". Apparently some are confused about work vs install.

ex...

Why only a 16g? Skip that and go with an 18g.

Skip the 18g and go to a thread about which turbo should I get to post in instead.

Consider a turbo blanket and wrap the DP from the bellmouth down to where it bends under the car to keep heat out of the engine bay.

I :wub: my turboblanket. I can touch the heatshield where it has the no touchie symbol for several seconds after hard driving. Works crazy good.

Your build looks like its going to be a LOT of fun for a daily. A real street thug on e85.

EDIT: The major difference in your 16g/e85 and my vf39/e85 setup build is equal length headers and FMIC. I drove a similar car for a long time. Hope you are excited.

Consider a turbo blanket and wrap the DP from the bellmouth down to where it bends under the car to keep heat out of the engine bay.

I :wub: my turboblanket. I can touch the heatshield where it has the no touchie symbol for several seconds after hard driving. Works crazy good.

Your build looks like its going to be a LOT of fun for a daily. A real street thug on e85.

That's exactly what I'm shooting for, thanks! :)

DP is wrapped already, what blanket did you go with? Great idea...

you need a clutch, that stock one one hold well for too long

if he has an OEM replacement 5k ago, he should be fine for awhile. all depends how you drive. i have 59k on my car, 26k of which have been stage 3. still bangin that stock clutch.

and yes, i do drive spirited at times. :lol:

If his tq numbers are anything like mine, it will not be fine (I liquidated an exedy stage1 in about 5k miles) - but his numbers should be a tad lower. It should definately be fine on pump gas without launches and ffshifting.

out of curiosity what dyno did you run on?

Got er done last night! All except swapping plugs anyway. Had a couple buddies over to help. 6 hours total including servicing the starter bendix, pretty happy with how everything went for rookies!

After getting everything primed back up, took her for a drive. Went and put some fuel in, got the DAM back up to 1, then started doing some mild pulls. Staying off the redline till I do the fuel pump, but I was seeing peaks of 21lbs. :wub:

Now come on DW and get that pump released! :D

Archived