LegacyGT.com

Has anyone thought about opening up their lights?

[quote name='SC GT']Anyone tempted yet to throw their lights in the oven and take out the amber reflector? Does it look like it would be any more difficult than the WRX light mod?[/quote] Yeah that would be my first mod if its possible. Just have to convince someone to try it first ;)

Guest *Jedimaster*
Those headlights look nice- as far as opening these headlights, I don't know- I believe the lens itself is made of glass, which might make re-assembly a bit tough. However, I would be willing to give it a try- I like the silver in the above pic with the amber signals removed.

Guest *Jedimaster*
It's pretty easy- you put the lights back in the oven briefly, use some black silicon sealer on the seams and stick 'em together. Easy job, but for me, on the WRX, also a bit nerve wracking.

Can some one post a comparison picture? I am not clear on the before and after significance. I have a friend that bought a 330i coupe and took all of his red lenses off and went with a uniform white color. It looked nice. I this a similar concept? J.R.

• 3 weeks later...
I am going to temp to clear out the headlights (leaving the housing black because the GT I am getting would be black). i would like to take out the amber reflectors which will look cleaner and more JDM spec. i doubt the headlight is made of the glass, more so with plastic... I am waiting for Stongard to make a set of headlight protectors for the new Legacy. Keefe
Keefe

I priced out a set of euro spec lights (without the orange reflector), they are 220 euro each with tax, VAT will take off 16%. I'm not sure if the euro spec and the US spec will swap, there may be a difference in the connections and all. For that price I'll rent a euro spec for a day and swap them out with mine! :o oops did I say that out loud!

[quote name='agctr']Well boys, I can finally say we have one up on the USDM model, our lights come stock like the WR lights, so no need to remove, or bake or find hidden clips, you you guys still have the BIG 2.5 DONK....[/quote] I can't remember, is OZ Right-hand drive, or left hand drive? If it is left hand drive, the OZ headlights should retrofit to the US car straight-off. no needing to bake, no need to mess it up. Unless you want to paint the bezel silver, or install angel-eyes, or something. If OZ is right-hand drive, then the lights are no good here, the cutoff will be on the wrong side.

[quote name='IwannaSportSedan'][quote name='agctr']Well boys, I can finally say we have one up on the USDM model, our lights come stock like the WR lights, so no need to remove, or bake or find hidden clips, you you guys still have the BIG 2.5 DONK....[/quote] I can't remember, is OZ Right-hand drive, or left hand drive? If it is left hand drive, the OZ headlights should retrofit to the US car straight-off. no needing to bake, no need to mess it up. Unless you want to paint the bezel silver, or install angel-eyes, or something. If OZ is right-hand drive, then the lights are no good here, the cutoff will be on the wrong side.[/quote] RHD

Are there any Rest-of-world markets that are Left-hand-drive, where the legacy might be sold with clear indicators in the headlights? Something that we could import? Baking the lights, and pulling them apart might actually be easier. I'd be mortified of messing them up, though. While in there, I might lightly smoke tint the lens in front of the turn signal, something like 40 or 50% smoke tinted. something to just darken them up a bit. I'd leave the center rib lense clear (it would appear brighter than the rest when flashing) and end the tint where the lens bows out around the low-beam projector. That's just me, though. I still think some real-BMW angels eye rings, with amber high intensity LEDs, setup as the front markers around the outside of each of the low beam projectors and perhaps euro-spec city lights, or the low DRL filament in the high-beam reflectors would look awesome in parking light mode. I want replicas of the new M5's side mirrors with their side indicators, too. I can't afford an M5 by a long shot, so I'll have to do what I can. :) I know it is a copycat thing, but imitation IS the highest form of flattery.

[quote name='Xenonk']Baking the headlights is one way.. but that's the scary way.. I am planning to use a heatgun (safer since you can do it in sections around the seal). Keefe[/quote] Good idea. My dad has one.. but I'm still not ready to clear the head lights yet..

Guest *Jedimaster*
Yeah- let someone else find out that the new Legacy comes with some kind of easily melted headlights.

I guess I would be the guy to find out then. Although I would like to keep them in to keep the car USDM (since the guys in Japan love USDM parts, same goes for Korea and Hong Kong, they love APC products???!!!!) Keefe
Keefe

Hey all, I have already tried this. NO PROBLEM in my WRX. On this car...big PIA! You have to remove the front bumper!!! You cannot finaggle the lights out of the bumper like on my '04 WRX. I had to stop and save for another day- a "Wheaties" day. I've gotta relieve my car of that fugly orange.

[quote name='2Simpletons']Hey all, I have already tried this. NO PROBLEM in my WRX. On this car...big PIA! You have to remove the front bumper!!! You cannot finaggle the lights out of the bumper like on my '04 WRX. I had to stop and save for another day- a "Wheaties" day. I've gotta relieve my car of that fugly orange.[/quote] You have got to be kidding me. That's insane! There is no way that I am going to take off the front bumper to get my headlights out. That sucks. Maybe if they separate easily, then we are in business. I would love to get rid of all that orange yuckiness.

Archived