LegacyGT.com

New Wagon concept, comment?

dubbwah

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But I'll say it again so SOA / Subaru Canada can read it again: I won't buy another new Subaru unless it's a full-sized turbo wagon. The closest and only thing they offer now is a WRX hatch, and I don't want that. I'm not 20 years old anymore. Not by a long shot.

Well said. Same here.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Instead of making a new model, I dont understand why Subaru does not make a limited edition run. Make 500 of them (Or whatever number the market can take) and put in some of the mods we all like to do. They could probably do it every other year.

Same thing with standard legacy. They could have an STI model. I would love to have a Legacy with all the hardware the STI has.

But I'll say it again so SOA / Subaru Canada can read it again: I won't buy another new Subaru unless it's a full-sized turbo wagon. The closest and only thing they offer now is a WRX hatch, and I don't want that. I'm not 20 years old anymore. Not by a long shot.

I'm in this boat as well (although 'full-size' to me means no bigger than the 05-07 Legacy Wagon).

Instead of making a new model, I dont understand why Subaru does not make a limited edition run. Make 500 of them (Or whatever number the market can take) and put in some of the mods we all like to do. They could probably do it every other year.

Same thing with standard legacy. They could have an STI model. I would love to have a Legacy with all the hardware the STI has.

You are kidding, right?

Do you have any idea the costs associated with vehicle production?

What do they teach kids in school these days?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

You are kidding, right?

Do you have any idea the costs associated with vehicle production?

What do they teach kids in school these days?

No kidding.

It costs about $1B to develop a new car model from concept to sales floor. Even high performance versions of cars already in a manufactures stable costs many millions to develop, test, and market.

No kidding.

It costs about $1B to develop a new car model from concept to sales floor. Even high performance versions of cars already in a manufactures stable costs many millions to develop, test, and market.

For the record, I am an engineer and I have worked in manufacturing for years. I fully understand the costs. No where did I say "make a new car" What I said was take existing parts where the R&D has already been paid for and then setup the factory for a 1 week or a 2 day production build. Dont build anything else that/those day(s) Take a Legacy wagon and put STI parts in in.

You may need to make a custom badge that says "1 of 500"

Marketing would have to come up with a total number to build.

It is not an uncommon practice.

2012 Boss 302 4,000 unit run, 750 are Lagunas

2007 Shelby Hertz mustang 500 unit run.

2008 Shelby GT500KR 1,000 unit run

2004 Nissian 350Z Gran Turismo 4 Limited Edition. 700 unit run.

2006 Mini John Cooper Works GP 2,000 unit run.

2012 Transformer edition Camaro 1,200 unit run

The cars that you listed act as halo cars for their brands. Do you really see a Legacy wagon with STI parts adding any cache to the Subaru brand to make it worth it? American's distaste for wagons alone makes that a tough sell. GM tried a similar thing with Cadillac and they are not making much if any profit on the billions that GM invested in the brand. Not to mention that most of the potential buyers for such a car can't or don't buy cars new, or would rather customize the car themselves. I see your point, but the analogy just doesn't work in this case.

No kidding.

Then tweak the analogy. Use the exact same hardware as the GT sedan, but build a GT wagon (Maybe change out the craptastic 6 speed) But just build what the market could handle. Then skip a year and then do another build once the demand has built up again.

My point is you don't need a continuously running model.

^ I suggested this a few years ago. If there are only so many wagon buyers out there, just run them every few years. Actually the last year of generation might even give a little bump to sales. Also using the SPT logo on the wagon instead of STi gives it a special run without "confusing" us Americans so much.

500 wagons with factory standard SPT exhaust, STS, chassis braces, a slight brake/suspension upgrade and they could sell them every three to four years pretty easy I'd bet

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

All of which requires separate crash testing and environmental certifications. Subaru would not be able to make back the expense of a separate wagon model if they only sold a few hundred. There is a reason why Subaru, VW, BMW, Volvo, etc.. killed off their wagon models in the U.S... Americans don't buy them. Performance versions of wagons are even more sales kryptonite.

I want a vehicle like this just as much as you, it's just not possible to sell it profitably in the American car market.

Crash test and EPA already done for the outback xt. Changing the ride height and suspension for legacy wagon trim is enough to retest the platform?

except that there's no OBXT in 5th gen.

All of which requires separate crash testing and environmental certifications. Subaru would not be able to make back the expense of a separate wagon model if they only sold a few hundred. There is a reason why Subaru, VW, BMW, Volvo, etc.. killed off their wagon models in the U.S... Americans don't buy them. Performance versions of wagons are even more sales kryptonite.

I want a vehicle like this just as much as you, it's just not possible to sell it profitably in the American car market.

I bet with larger size of 5th gen sales of Legacy Wagons would be much higher than they were for 4th gen - which was not properly advertised, was stripped of options, etc. Even then SOA sold like 11K Legacy Wagons in 2005 afaik (unclemat posted numbers in year/model thread). I don't think it's the sales figures, it's more like stigma that wagons have in US. I would understand Toyota dropping wagon sales with 11k out of 2-3 million Camrys they sell, but Subaru could use any sale they can get.

Anyway, if SOA does not offer a good turbo wagon with MT by the time my BP is retired, I'll be moving to whoever will have its equivalent. I don't want an Outback or Impreza. Nor do I want a sedan.

I bet with larger size of 5th gen sales of Legacy Wagons would be much higher than they were for 4th gen - which was not properly advertised, was stripped of options, etc. Even then SOA sold like 11K Legacy Wagons in 2005 afaik (unclemat posted numbers in year/model thread). I don't think it's the sales figures, it's more like stigma that wagons have in US. I would understand Toyota dropping wagon sales with 11k out of 2-3 million Camrys they sell, but Subaru could use any sale they can get.

Anyway, if SOA does not offer a good turbo wagon with MT by the time my BP is retired, I'll be moving to whoever will have its equivalent. I don't want an Outback or Impreza. Nor do I want a sedan.

Agreed. If they don't come out with a Sport or Touring Legacy based wagon, this 5th gen is my last Subaru.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

BMW, VW, and Volvo still have wagons in their line up 2012.

Looking at Bimmers actually. Audi is nice but not my style, VW leaves me unamuzed,as does Volvo. At any rate I won't be buying automatic or CVT.

With incentives that come with my BMWCCA membership that apply to CPO cars I can find something that will be is same price range I paid for my BP GT Limited. Or just buy used.

Archived