LegacyGT.com

300hp Target for my 1997LGT

I have the Phase I DOHC EJ25D with a EJ257 short block. I've also put in some 264 cams from Delta, Super Tech valve springs and retainers and some Cometic oversized head gaskets (until I change my pistons... If ever) Right now I'm using a TD04L turbo at roughly 14 psi and so far it's been absolutely fantastic.

Noice.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • I Donated
EJ20R and EJ20K = same freaking engine. Only difference is the second turbo. For those in the US, the 20K is a better option than the 20R because you don't have to delete the second turbo on the 20K

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated

Not all EJ20s are semi-closed. Iknow for a fact that the 20R and 20K are open deck just like the 25D.

The only closed deck block Subaru ever made was the turbo EJ22T in the 90-94 turbo Legacys.

Japan had the EJ22G, it may or may not be closed deck...I'm not really sure,

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

The only closed deck block Subaru ever made was the turbo EJ22T in the 90-94 turbo Legacys.

I knew this.

Not all EJ20s are semi-closed. Iknow for a fact that the 20R and 20K are open deck just like the 25D.

Did not know this.

Which EJ20 is the USDM WRX engine?

• I Donated

USDM WRX 2.0 is the EJ205

2.0L Single Turbo

-
EJ20G
JDM 93-96 STI, WRX 92-96

-
EJ20K
JDM 97-99 STI

-
EJ205
JDM 99-01 WRX Wagon, 01-11 WRX, USDM 02-05 WRX

-
EJ207
JDM 98-11 STI

2.0L Twin Turbo must be converted to single turbo

-
EJ20H
JDM 93-98 Legacy

-
EJ20R
JDM 96-98 Legacy

-
EJ206
JDM 98-03 Legacy

-
EJ208
JDM 98-03 Legacy

2.2L Single Turbo

-
EJ22T
USDM 90-94 Legacy

-
EJ22G
JDM Impreza STI GC8

2.5L Single Turbo

-
EJ255
USDM 06-11 Impreza, 04-11 Forester, 03-11 Legacy, 04-06 Baja

-
EJ257
USDM 04-11 STI

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

I know for sure the EJ205 in the 02 WRX is completely open deck. Just worked on one a couple weeks ago for a friend. It was giving us issues so I just gave him the EJ22 from my Legacy to do a hybrid. Should be even more fun now. :lol:

Yeah, and it was made out of the exact bottom end from the EJ22 from the Legacy SS and topped with my HLA heads.

WAIT

That's why I want it so badly. It's beyond sick, and building that engine is actually possible for me to do eventually. I actually have the heads and I'll have the block soon enough with all it's wiring and junk. I think I'll try to splice in an STi ECU. Did you know you can rev the piss out of these engines with the proper tuning?

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the 96 2.5 pistons and the 97 to 99 2.5 pistons? I've looked at them but I can't see a difference...

Yes, there are differences in both the pistons & heads. The piston tops are different & the head quench/compression areas are different. The 96 head quench areas match the bores & the 97+areas don't. The pistons are also different. The 96 has more of a high compression surface than the 97+, which I assume is the same as my 98 25D. This is one of the reasons why the 96 must be run on 91+ octane & anything after can use 87+.

They're rare on the Legacy because our 96 GT's were the only year to ever come with them. But, they are the same cylinder head that was used on the 90's STi's with the 2.2 turbo as well. That's why they make such a great swap over to a 2.2 from the Legacy SS.

The HLA heads to the 96 25D are bored to match that of the block. I would think that this would cause some sealing issues with the head gasket for the EJ22. Someone correct me if I am mistaken. I would also think that any head for the EJ22 would be bored for that block as well. The 97+ heads can be used as they have a "clover" shape to them, very much like some EJ20 heads do. This & the 96 heads/pistons, I've seen in person. Plus, solid lifters > HLAS is you're going to rev high.

I would order an EJ20K from Japan and upgrade it to a VF43 turbo and stand alone ECU

THIS. If you can. The 20K & 20R have a nice set of heads or more importantly, aggressive cams inside them that allow good high RPM fun. A Subaru technician explained to me that these cams are one of the most aggressive sets that Subaru produced.

I have the Phase I DOHC EJ25D with a EJ257 short block. I've also put in some 264 cams from Delta, Super Tech valve springs and retainers and some Cometic oversized head gaskets (until I change my pistons... If ever) Right now I'm using a TD04L turbo at roughly 14 psi and so far it's been absolutely fantastic.

Phenomenal. I bet that engine has some serious mid-range pull & high rpms. Is the short a completely stock 257? I do think that TD04 wouldn't suit an engine with that much gusto though. Just an opinion.

Yeah, and it was made out of the exact bottom end from the EJ22 from the Legacy SS and topped with my HLA heads.

Not exactly. The 22T from the past has oil squirters & the 22G does not. The 22G is also a 20G bored out while the 22T is it's own engine, not based on or bored from anything. The 22G is specific for the 22B & came with forged internals from the factory. It was built for serious duty.

• I Donated
THIS. If you can. The 20K & 20R have a nice set of heads or more importantly, aggressive cams inside them that allow good high RPM fun. A Subaru technician explained to me that these cams are one of the most aggressive sets that Subaru produced.

You couldn't be more right. The cams in the 20K/R are freaking awesome. My 20R was ass slow in lower RPMS, but was a MONSTER up top. I loved it.

Here is a perfect example. My 20R vs a Vette. Fast forward towards the end (about 2:20)...I had retarded people riding with me and they were really annoying...and yes, I got lazy and didn't shave for quite some time lol

possibly NSFW due to language

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2_rpisxXgQ]Legacy EJ20R vs C5 Corvette - YouTube[/ame]

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

This & the 96 heads/pistons, I've seen in person. Plus, solid lifters > HLAS is you're going to rev high.

Generally solid lifters also allow you to run substantially more aggressive cam profiles as well. They can ramp open sooner meaning more lift during opening and will have more lift during closing as well for even more power.

After dealing with hydraulic lifters and hydraulic lash adjusters in my Nissan's I would definitely take solid lifters over hydraulic any day for performance applications (unless there's just simply too little room to adjust them periodically). For a DD hydraulic is the way to go.

Yes, there are differences in both the pistons & heads. The piston tops are different & the head quench/compression areas are different. The 96 head quench areas match the bores & the 97+areas don't. The pistons are also different. The 96 has more of a high compression surface than the 97+, which I assume is the same as my 98 25D. This is one of the reasons why the 96 must be run on 91+ octane & anything after can use 87+.

Hmmm I must have been looking at the wrong picture then. This makes complete sense now as to why the octane rating called for, is different. I've seen the two different head designs, and the clover leaf will up the compression from the HLA's 9.5:1 to 10.0:1, but it didn't make sense for that to be the reason you regular fuel could be used. I couldn't figure it out cuz the stupid pictures were wrong..

The HLA heads to the 96 25D are bored to match that of the block. I would think that this would cause some sealing issues with the head gasket for the EJ22. Someone correct me if I am mistaken. I would also think that any head for the EJ22 would be bored for that block as well. The 97+ heads can be used as they have a "clover" shape to them, very much like some EJ20 heads do. This & the 96 heads/pistons, I've seen in person. Plus, solid lifters > HLAS is you're going to rev high.

All I know is that people have put HLA heads on EJ22 turbo bottom ends. I don't know how though, as I have yet to actually research it in depth. I had already planned to use solid lifters if I was going to want to rev over 7k rpm and make mostly top end power, but stay with the Hydraulics and design it to have mid range power and keep it a daily driver if I didn't end up getting another DD Subaru. I think I may have changed my mine about this in general though, as I HATE the clicking noise HLA's make with a passion...

Not exactly. The 22T from the past has oil squirters & the 22G does not. The 22G is also a 20G bored out while the 22T is it's own engine, not based on or bored from anything. The 22G is specific for the 22B & came with forged internals from the factory. It was built for serious duty.

Yeah, I shouldn't have use the word exactly. Especially since the heads are the same type, but designed differently from the factory (combustion chamber bore, intake/exhaust porting, and cams). I didn't realize that the EJ22G was just a bored out EJ20G, not a variant of the EJ22T. But that could actually be just as good since it's also a closed deck and does have forged internals. And doesn't an EJ20G have oil squirters? Wouldn't, in turn, the EJ22G have oil squirters?

Honestly, if you modified the heads correctly and designed them after the EJ22G, and put them on the EJ22T (I believe the piston have to be changed for some reason that I've forgotten), upgraded the headers, up pipe, turbo, down pipe, exhaust, and tuning, this would create one kick ass motor.

ej20k is open deck. you sure the 20g is close?

Yup. Positive it's closed deck. This, of course, is not to be confused with a FULLY closed deck. EJ22 (or EJ22T as the USDM has unofficially named it) was the only fully closed deck EJ engine.

I absolutely LOVE my EJ20G. However, I may be getting rid of it for yet another Phase I DOHC EJ25D and a sleeved EJ257 block. So, perhaps someone might get lucky! Otherwise, I'll be junking the EJ20G block for the sleeved EJ257 block. I just hate the part this engine... :(

My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

Archived