LegacyGT.com

High copper amount in oil?

How long do you go between oil changes ? I'm getting varied results on google.com but most say the copper could be from the bearings from the turbo or engine .

Generally 3750 but the oil the analysis was from was 4.5k. I've gone 4k before as well. Do you think that has something to do with it?

Was it pure copper or a copper alloy? It does matter since different bearings are made from different alloys.

And particle size is also a factor.

But the problem is to figure out which bearing. And there are a few to choose between (turbo, crankshaft, conrod small end...), and also some mechanical devices like camshaft timing.

One thing to check (but it may be hard to do now) is if the oil used did contain an additive containing copper.

453747.png

I thought I saw his report on here, with all is personal info, may be he is editing it in My Documents to block out his address and stuff.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Here you go guys. Should have posted earlier.

My commute is about 10 minutes to and from work each day, not exactly ideal for the car.

There were 34k miles when these oil results were taken. I had gone about 4,500 miles OCI. I was concerned about this, which was why I had sent it in, in the first place. I am usually pretty good with OCI's, I had one at 4k previously but the others had been at 3,750. I just bought my first house and am taking two classes, so the oil change took longer than desired to get time to do.

I used Subaru filters and Castrol GTX 5w30. I don't believe there are any copper additives in that oil. I didn't add anything extra myself.

Sometimes copper comes from the turbo. For

now, it's just something to monitor, but once we figure out whether it's increasing, we should know if any

action needs to be taken.

The turbo should be covered for 60,000 miles. I thought you said the car has 34,000 miles on it.

I guess you know to keep having the oil tested.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I don't see anything alarming in this UOA. Copper is at 26 ppm, not 300 ppm. It is not unusual to see a copper spike in Subaru UOAs. Copper can come from internal sources, or external sources. Keep in mind that a single UOA has very little predictive value, especially when the wear numbers are as low as yours. Do another UOA after 3000 miles, and if concentrations of copper, lead, tin, and silver have increased significantly, then you can start worrying a little bit.

Archived