LegacyGT.com

i hate to be the bearer of bad news

rakapur

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having rebuilt a few master cylinders I can imagine why they did stop the sale. It's of course easier when you have a fresh core.

I just hope that they don't put a moron somewhere to take apart the cylinder and then pour in the parts in the wrong order into the cylinder...

453747.png

It seems that they are recalling/replacing all master cylinders on Legacy, Outback, and MY2012 Imprezas produced between 10/17 and 11/23. Realistically, dealers have not seen those production dates of vehicles hit the lot yet, at least in NJ. Originally a notice went out about 2 weeks ago regarding a soft pedal issue, but now is believed to be a defect in the master cylinder. No leaking taking place which leads me to believe it's something silly or superficial in nature. Time will tell.

Can you confirm the date range is 10/17-11/23?

cars101.com is reporting it is 10/27-11/23. Mine was built on 10/18, and I guess I could wait for a potential recall notice, but I'd like to know ASAP if there could be a problem!

Thanks for the original heads up!

As per my official SOA notice posted on Subarunet "2012 Impreza models built through November 15th as well as 2012 Legacy and outback models built between October 17th and November 23rd. While braking capability in these vehicles is maintained, drivers have reported their concerns about greater than normal brake pedal travel."

You may have an affected vehicle. It's not a problem more as a concern from their standpoint. It's just that anything that potentially could go wrong, they jump on top of to make 100% correct. Even if it's an issue like this were potentially the pedal feel is different than a prior built vehicle. If there's a customer concern then they investigate the crap out of it and come up with some sort of "fix". Just like the Chevy Volt fires...and Toyota's, etc.... That's the society we live it!

Just to set the record straight, it's not a "recall", it's a stop sale. Gotta love it. "first major recall", I'm sure there will be at least 472 recalls on the car!

Just to be clear is was a STOP SHIP, not a stop sale. And they proactively fixed an issue, one that many manufacturers would have let go and simply repaired cars that people complained about a squishy brake on, so far there aren't any major safety issues that have been reproted.

I doubt this car will have any more recalls than any other car manufactured out there, I would venture to say it will have less, as Subarus tend to be rather reliable.

Actually in NJ the dealership I work for has 9 on the lot which have "Stop Sales" issued. To the point that Subaru has actually stopped accepting sales for those vehicles because certain area dealerships still try to deliver cars with pending recalls/stop sales. So I speak for SDC or the NNJ/trIstate area.

Actually in NJ the dealership I work for has 9 on the lot which have "Stop Sales" issued. To the point that Subaru has actually stopped accepting sales for those vehicles because certain area dealerships still try to deliver cars with pending recalls/stop sales. So I speak for SDC or the NNJ/trIstate area.

Not a good thing for you guys.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

• 2 weeks later...
  • I Donated

Actually yes. I meant to post this the other day but I forgot.

I was at the local Subaru dealership a few days ago and had asked about it. There was a problem with the brakes (just like I had guessed). Subaru had hired an outside company to make the master cylinders, and they were having problems with spongy brake pedals. Any vehicle affected by it was ordered not to sell and to stay where it was at. Subaru has been shipping out new master cylinders to replace the faulty ones. Once the master cylinder is replaced in the car, its able to be sold.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

It had to do with a seal in the primary cylinder. Apparently during assembly a seal was becoming dislodged and would not provide a full seal during brake engagement. This allowed for a soft pedal and longer brake travel. The reports all said the secondary (backup) cylinder worked, and would kick in once the brake was depressed far enough.

They corrected the problem and changed some parts of the manufacturing technique for the Master Cylinder. I have read a few posts on other forums where people say they lost total brake pressure, but noone reported loss of brake fluid. I think they all had longer than normal brake travel and didn't press hard enough to engage the secondary cylinder.

Nonetheless, it was a 3rd party manufacturer defect, that was caught early by Subaru and is now fixed. I believe they recalled a small number of cars that were sold with defective brakes.

Lots of info here

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-present/40254-stop-ship-order.html

• 3 weeks later...
Just had my master cylinder go this morning. Went to go and stop and lost pressure in my brakes. It did grab at the very bottom but just enough to stop slowly. Had it towed to the dealer and it was the recall issue with the master cylinder. Be careful!!

Just had my master cylinder go this morning. Went to go and stop and lost pressure in my brakes. It did grab at the very bottom but just enough to stop slowly. Had it towed to the dealer and it was the recall issue with the master cylinder. Be careful!!

Glad you're ok.... hopefully the master cylinder is in stock.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

Archived