LegacyGT.com

4th to 2nd doing 80 in an M5...

ok heres what I know so far. he needs a new engine. apparently she was taking an exit ramp and was down shifting from 4th to 3rd. somehow she missed 3rd and went into 2nd. as she went into 2nd she put her foot on the gas. OUCH!!

guy I asked wasn't sure if anything else went, but I'm real curious to find out. If I find anything else out I'll let you know.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

ok heres what I know so far. he needs a new engine. apparently she was taking an exit ramp and was down shifting from 4th to 3rd. somehow she missed 3rd and went into 2nd. as she went into 2nd she put her foot on the gas. OUCH!!

guy I asked wasn't sure if anything else went, but I'm real curious to find out. If I find anything else out I'll let you know.

:eek: :eek:

Kenda

From m5board.com , http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45326, specifically http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=452579&postcount=6 :

Anita,

The connecting rod problems are well known in the online M3 community, even though BMW tried to deny any such problems existed for a long time.

The problems started really showing up with the M3s made between 11/01 and 03/02 initially, although there were some limited reports of engine failures before this time frame. The Rod Bearings were apparently manufactured with too close a tolerance such that a film of oil never was able to form between the crank/rod bearing/connecting rod, which is the way these things are designed to function. This inadequate 'oiling' between these components lead to a huge heat build up, leading to extreme premature rod bearing failure. There were some catastrophic failures, with rods blowing thru' blocks, etc., (my 2002 M3 being one of them). Some people just noted a knocking noise and had the rod bearings replaced before failure, some like myself had the car 'grenade' at the track. There probably was an increase in the catastrophic failures when the cars were used 'hard', i.e. DE events, etc. However, since my car had the SMG II transmission, it was impossible for the car to be 'over-revved' going up or down the gearbox, and BMW began to realize that they had a problem that couldn't just be blamed on owners missing a shift in the 6 speed cars. Eventually, all of the above dated cars were recalled. Prior to the SMG equipped cars coming to the US, (production began 11/01), BMW refused to honour many warranty repairs on M3s that had the above problems; simply blaming the owners for 'abuse' especially if the ECU showed any kind of 'over-rev' situation, however slight. This mind you regardless of the fact that one does not experience rod bearing failure with an over-rev situation; you normally get valve train damage.

Initially many of the failures had a completely new short block installed, but when the numbers kept increasing; BMW began to just replace rod bearings; oil pump, etc.

Now, it appears that the initial 'limited' recall has been extended to cars thru' the dates you mentioned, which includes a huge number of M3s, both pre-SMG and after introduction of that awesome transmission.

This now extended recall is going to/has cost BMW millions to fix, as well as cause a lot of bad blood amongst owners since many people were initially out of pocket approximately $18K when BMW refused warranty repair on their non-SMG cars.

How this recall could not affect the M Coupes etc. with the same engine, even though their rev-limit is 400 rpm lower, escapes me. Could these owners still have the same problem, but their numbers are so much lower than the owners of E46 M3s that it hasn't come to light, (yet)?

It may or may not apply to this situation since the M5 is not singled out.

Just search for "engine rod bearing" on m5board and you should find some relevant threads.

I keed I keeed

So more realisticly she was either A> going from 6th to 2nd, meaning to go to 4th or was going for 4th to third and end up in 1st

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

isn't it a std. H pattern 6sp, meaning 4-3 shift is nowhere near 2 as others have mentioned? Something is fishy here....

This is like telephone. :lol: everyone tells me something different. Got to a reliable source just now.

Here's the story straight. She was trying to down shift from 5th to 4th (doing 80) and put it in 2nd instead. Apparently beacuse of the Dinan mods he's got in there, he took the rev limiter or governer (whatever it has) off to allow it to redline. So.........this is why the engine went kaboom. He still has not heard back from his mechanic with the total damage.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

This is like telephone. :lol: everyone tells me something different. Got to a reliable source just now.

Here's the story straight. She was trying to down shift from 5th to 4th (doing 80) and put it in 2nd instead. Apparently beacuse of the Dinan mods he's got in there, he took the rev limiter or governer (whatever it has) off to allow it to redline. So.........this is why the engine went kaboom. He still has not heard back from his mechanic with the total damage.

ok thats more understandable than 4th to 2nd. but still :eek: when he gets that damage quote!

Kenda

Guess he needs to call me back now so I can start saving him more money on the telco stuff to pay for his motor. :lol:

(same guy right? thought you said he had the M)

Guess he needs to call me back now so I can start saving him more money on the telco stuff to pay for his motor. :lol:

(same guy right? thought you said he had the M)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: yep!! your are correct!!! wonder if he's still dating her:lol: .

If he is not, we need pics. ;) Is she hotter than KF?

OH, she's hot. she's irish with long red hair :D

what part of a Rev Limiter don't you people get?

A rev limiter will not stop an over rev situation caused by downshifting. hence the reason it's called a money shift...cause it's gonna cost you to get it fixed.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

what part of a Rev Limiter don't you people get?

A rev limiter will not stop an over rev situation casued by downshifting. hence the reason it's called a money shift...cause it's gonna cost you to get it fixed.

For the layman, this is so because rev-limiters cut fuel, but when you downshift to a lower gear, the crankshaft will rotate according to the ratio and current wheel/road speed, whether fuel is cut or not, and in this case the 2nd gear ratio and high road speed resulted in an unavoidable over-rev.

Therefore a rev-limiter is useless on downshifts and only useful on upshifts.

Another reason to get an SMG.

I keed I keeed

Oh man... my performance shop has a wall of shame, on it is a shift knob called the BMW 5-2 shift knob.

The story was a guy in a BMW M3 was in 5th gear and decided he needed a little extra power and instead of shifting to 4 he ended up in 2.

The pistons ended up looking like potatos the heads were trashed and there were gouges all over the cylnder walls.

So more realisticly she was either A> going from 6th to 2nd, meaning to go to 4th or was going for 4th to third and end up in 1st

So.....

Who's on first, again? :lol:

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived