LegacyGT.com

2010 Dodge Challenger R/T w/ Track Package - perspective after 3000 miles

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In terms of gas mileage:

6MT gets as high as 20mpg driving like grandma, 14mpg driving in sport mode and averages about 16.7. This is what mine has averaged driving 75 miles a day over the first 6500 miles of the car.

The 8auto is a great transmission and gets upwards of 26mpg because the car turns into a 4 cylendar IIrc when cruising.

Here's something for ya. Kenne Bell is promising a 4.2 supercharger for $7000 that boasts 901 bhp for the 6.4L scatpack. 200 more than the hellcat, with no restrictions that the hellcat had to have from the factory (emissions, etc). 485 factory to 901? That's ambitious and i hope it pans out.

Another way to look at it:

40,000 for the scatpack

7,000 for the s/c

1,500 in labor/support mods & tune

901 hp challenger for under 50,000

~63,000 for the hellcat

707 hp stock, with full factory warranty

1500 in labor and support mods? I think that number is extremely optimistic. Clutch, tires, headers, exhaust, fuel system, tuning and labor for 1500 dollars? I bet a full exhaust, headers to tips will cost you that or more. Also as penguin mentioned running decent amounts of boost on a 11 to 1 comp ratio engine with non forged pistons doesn't help with longevity. You will need to log that engine often to ensure the tune is holding true. Another question is how tunable is the stock ECU? Chrysler has always tried to make it hard to tune their modern cars. Remember the SRT-4 Caliber? You have to order some part from dodge that linked to you vin just to go stage one and tune the damn thing. Also does a stock R/T ECU have the ability to compensate for boost?

That said I don't know if anyone knows what the stock hellcat supercharger is good for. What kind of gains could you see from a simple pulley swap and tune?

Thinking on this more, a 4.2L blower on the 6.4L HEMI is a total waste unless you're OK with only running 5psi or something a smaller blower could get you.

To fully realize the benefits of a 4.2L twin screw my guess is you'll need the following:

1.) Forged pistons, make sure the ring lands are well away from the piston top, so no short piston skirts. Probably want to go for about 9:1 compression ratio to be able to run big boost.

2.) Forged connecting rods, the toughest motherfuckers you can find.

3.) Forged crankshaft if not already equipped, at the very least you're going to get to rebalance the whole rotating assembly once you change pistons and con rods.

4.) Ridiculously large fuel pump, and fuel rails, and injectors. A boost a pump isn't gonna cut it.

5.) Oversized radiator and possibly a higher flow water pump to handle increased engine heat.

6.) Large engine oil cooler if not equipped, possibly need upgrading even if pressent. Again for heat management.

7.) Engine tuning software, extensive dyno tuning and data logging, possible stand alone aftermarket ECU if stock unit cannot deal with boost. Probably not a bad idea to install a pyrometer to check on exhaust gas Temps to avoid cooking valves.

8.) Headers and exhaust capable of supporting power, and more importantly getting heat out of the engine bay.

9.) Everything else from the transmission back to put power down without grenadine or twisting into a pretzel or both.

I'm not sure what the support would entail. My srt drivetrain is perfect for how i drive and this is still winter.

Irt the exhaust the stock one is pretty solid. My last had a SLP catback that didnt really do anything amazing except sound good.

I wasnt aware that the stock 392 had cast internals. As these (srt/sp) cars seemend pushed to be "track ready" i think you can take them right to the strip off the factory. Hell there are noobs on stock tires pulling mid 12s. I would venture to guess that some slicks and a tune would set that right.

I havet seen much that you would upgrade casually in a bolt ln minus the usual suspects of intake box, filter, headers and res delete/straightpipes.

Once spring gets here I'll lool around. Diablosport doesnt make a tune for the '15my yet iirc

Not saying it's impossible, just that there's a lot more to it than installing a big blower. Even if the pistons were forged the static compression ratio is way way way too high to run much more than 5-7psi of boost safely.

As for the internals on the 392 HEMI, they're not bad at all for a NA motor, and the crank and rods probably are forged units. The pistons are hypereutectic if memory serves which is a fancy casting that is dimensionally very accurate a gives a part that doesn't expand or contract a lot making for nice even contact with the bores no matter engine temps. Beneficial for emissions, as well as NVH issues. Plus under most uses short of running boost, plenty strong enough.

• 3 months later...

Couldn't find a Charger Scat Pack locally, so I picked up this-

http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu157/solsurferx/63b2a53672bf2b7902e98b2af11c701e_zpskbckgo4s.jpg

B5 Blue with the 29R...and a black painted roof :lol:

Sweet ride ^^^^ love that blue. I just grabbed a left over 14 300C RWD. I like the 5.7 (wish it had the 8 speed) it ticks off a 5.3 zero to sixty with a 2.65 rear end ratio and almost 25 mpg highway 75-80 mph.

I was going to go with a new Charger but I'm getting older now and I wanted the luxury not the sport this time. I will say the women love sliding into that black interior. It's like a black tuxedo.

32455490_The300.JPG.0a71ec81e6cd66d596c6876d093f6103.JPG

Sweet!

I've got to get used to driving this thing...over 3 days I'm averaging 12mpg lol.

The 8-speed is nice, one of the selling points for me. The interior isn't too shabby on the Road and Track, similar to the B with suede and leather...and the ventilated seats, oh my. I was sold on those in my wife's Grand Cherokee :)

Whoa 12mpg?? You must be in stop and go a lot or you're just enjoying the "godlike" sound of the Hemi? The first night I had my car I went through $45 dollars of gas in 90 minutes and about 4/32 of rear tread depth. I already replaced the rear tires after 6000 miles.

Seats, yes but in the northeast the heated steering wheel is the best. The heated/cooled cup holders work well too. Also the U Connect system is hard to beat it works so well.

So you have the track pack? That's a 3.06 rear axle I think :D. Enjoy.... you have a beautiful car. IMHO the second and third gen LX cars are the nicest cars Chrysler has ever made. Just remember the glass in that car is acoustic.....if you have to replace a windshield or side glass be sure it's OE acoustic rated.

It's been a bit of both, that and I'm used to a car that needs to shift at 3-4k rpm lol. There's a nifty little 'realtime' mpg graphic you can have on the dash tft display, so I started using that on the way home last night lol. The MDS is also very different from my wife's GC. In that car it wants to shut down the cylinders any chance it gets, with this you have to work to get it to activate.

Yeah the heated steering wheel is nice my car has it as well as the wife's GC. Used it while in Tahoe last weekend, does make a difference.

Archived