LegacyGT.com

2010 Dodge Challenger R/T w/ Track Package - perspective after 3000 miles

I purchased a 2010 Dodge Challenger R/T that had the optional Track Package factory installed, and the car came with the SLP blackwing Cold Air Intake and Loudmouth II exhaust installed already.

The Track Package I have includes:

- 20-inch Goodyear F1 SuperCar Tires

- Rear Nivomat Self-Leveling shock-absorbers (to stop wheel hop)

- Larger rear stabilizer bar

- 3:92 Rear-Axle ratio

- Performance Brake Linings

- Upgraded power steering

- "Electronic Stabelization Program (ESP) -off" Stability Calibration

Essentially this improves the handling, breaking and overall performance of the R/T.

The stock specs on the 2010 R/T base model are 370 hp / 390 tq.

The tune on the car is set for 89 octane and with the mods that were done by the dealership prior to buying the car puts the hp just over 400 with similar gains in torque, also over 400.

There are lots of throwback features in the car. The 4-pod gauges, the single reverse light, the stitching in the seats, the 345 HEMI motor, etc. The vehicle is very much a throwback cross between the 1970 challenger and the Plymouth Baracuda (which was a smaller version of the challenger, designed by Plymouth).

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u148/cherrybloom203/f6658fd4.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u148/cherrybloom203/2010%20Dodge%20Challenger%20RT/DSC04892.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u148/cherrybloom203/2010%20Dodge%20Challenger%20RT/48091988.jpg

At 4041 pounds curb weight, one would think the vehicle would handle like a desiel tugboat, but with the power output, combined with the track package upgrades on things like power steering, etc... the word nimble and sensitive come into the converstaion.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u148/cherrybloom203/2010%20Dodge%20Challenger%20RT/IMG_3061.jpg

The pistol grip transmission is a Tremec TR-6060 with ZF-SACHS 250 mm twin disc clutch. The transmission is matched with a 3.91 Getrag limited slip differential. One point of frustration with this is that most of the time, if your speed and momentum are fast enough, you get a 1--4 lockout which means you have to shift 1st to 4th. This design was to put the Estimated MPG outside of the 'gas guzzler' tax bracket. Very frustrating and very dangerous on hills. There is a warranty-safe, override harness that only costs $18.88 that clips into the wires near the TCU that defeats this feature. Other cars that have used this are GM/Chevy, most notibly the Camaro line. By accelerating over 25mph in 1st the 1--4 lockout will turn itself off, allowing you to shift into 2nd normally.

On hills, the vehicle has a slow release valve on the brake pressure. Not quite a launch line lock for the 1320, but lets you push the brakes down and it 'holds' the brake for you while you engage the clutch on a hill.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u148/cherrybloom203/2010%20Dodge%20Challenger%20RT/f8f5ce6d.jpg

The vehicle has an amazing field of view, except the blind spots. More specifically, a full sized sedan can ride in your passenger side blind spot, you can even glance right, then mirror, then rear view, then right again, and you won't see it until you lean forward. The driver's side is easier to see if you look left rather than just use your mirrors. Although there are side windows, the c pillar is too wide to allow easy view through.

The leather, from what I gather, is designed by Katzskin and offers the original 1970's horizontal bar design across a bucket seat. The rear seats are very comfortable, however, you cannot pivot and slide the driver's seat forward to allow access to the rear. Passengers must enter through the passenger side of the car in order to get into the rear. Once in, however, they have foldable arm rests, cup holders, and plenty of leg room. But just as the 1970 model was not designed for family usage, this remake is also not kid friendly. There ARE child seat clips but a single parent would have to park the car, run around to the passenger side and slide the seat up just to have access to the child seat in an emergency.

The noise... the growl... that exhaust punch... it cuts right through you. Good luck driving through a parking garrage without setting off most of the alarms. Throttle response is almost instant to the red line without load. The cabin noise is not condusive for a "casual trip to the winery" conversation... but it will excite gear heads and possibly cause you to get stretch marks on your cheaks from grinning.

The NAV unit was not the first choice for me, but it came with the car. It's a MyGig RER 16gb hard disk navigation unit, equipped with uconnect (which will pair with up to 10 phones, their address books and be accessable from voice commands). The navigation in this year is frustrating because even if a passenger tries to enter an address while the vehicle is in motion, you cannot. You can only choose "guide me home, address book, recent places and favorites." The manufacturer should have included a disclaimer button that asks "are you a passenger" yes/no.

The sound is amazing. The vehicle I have has the Sound Group II package which includes upgraded 368 watt amplifier, seven upgraded speakers by Boston Acoustics, a disc autochanger dashboard (flip down nav face) DVD playback, and six-disc remote changer. You can also store pictures and videos in there, if that's your thing (think showing the car, and having photos from a shoot flipping by in a presentation.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u148/cherrybloom203/3180e83b.jpg

Unfortunately when you look at comparison videos of Dodge vs Chevy vs Ford, etc... they usually are comparing dissimilar years or trim lines. A lot of people simply look at the curb weight and paper specs and assume that all the owners are going to do is 0-60 pulls and quartermiles with this car. If you want, they do make a Drag Pack specifically for this that weighs less than 3200 pounds. The car can very well handle its own in the real world.

The 2010 line also offered the SRT8 with the 6.1 HEMI, around 420 hp base and a crate 6.4 motor for 470 hp. The 2011+ models were redesigned completely and a 392 cubic inch 6.4 motor for 490 was introduced. Rumors hint at a possible 426 limited run (100 total) would be done, and there are a few custom 570 cubic inch 750 hp+ out there for cusom only buys. Sticker price for those are $97,511.

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/317048_10150328539671918_586141917_8141340_1806677872_n.jpg

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/307160_10150328537811918_586141917_8141325_1377856693_n.jpg

Chrysler has several 'high impact' colors that they put out, mine comes in Hemi Orange Pearl, which is quite an impressive color in itself. Under direct sunlight at noon, the car appears very orange, and as dusk just starts to set in, the car almost turns a vibrant deep orangy fire red. This picture shows the range of color for the most part.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u148/cherrybloom203/2010%20Dodge%20Challenger%20RT/DSC04908.jpg

Gas isn't the best, but it's not the worst. My Legacy came with a sticker indicating 18-23 MPG, after my last tune I was averaging almost 27 MPG. Currently the Challenger sticker indicated 18-27 MPG, but has been averaging between 15-22. One good thing, however, is that I can use any gas, at any time. (e85 and race gas excluded). If I put 87 in, the timing is automatically adjusted by the ECU and I get some reduced power, but completely driveable without knock: toss in a tank of 93 and I can feel the difference.

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/303958_10150350198811977_622446976_8555726_161107602_n.jpg

As far as winter driving, I'll be sure to update this thread with my ventures. The car's weight might help in that aspect, but having summer tires in winter is a big no-no, as we all know. I'm left with the decision of 20" snow tires on chrome rims for about $1200 for the set, or 18" police black 5-star rims and snows, for a little more. I'm more inclined to save the chrome wheels and get some po-po's.

I have no plans to modify the vehicle as I am almost 100% satisfied, even as a daily driver. Hope this article helps someone out there =)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never liked dodge products always thought they were momentously tacky and cheap. Yours isn't too bad. My 9 year old son saw one at school and thought it was cool. I would never buy one, but you can do what you want.

Definitely a cop magnet and look at me car.

Never liked dodge products always thought they were momentously tacky and cheap. Yours isn't too bad. My 9 year old son saw one at school and thought it was cool. I would never buy one, but you can do what you want.

Definitely a cop magnet and look at me car.

Such a hater

The Challenger is the best looking of the pony cars IMHO and I LOVE that orange color. I would still probably get a Mustang but the track package does makes the Challenger a much better competitor to the Camaro and Mustang.

Definitely go with the 18" rims for the winter tires. Narrower tire to cut through the snow better and save your chrome rims from road salt.

Have fun and enjoy the ride!

Should have bought the current SRT8 392.

While tempting, it was 10,000 more than the one I got.

For 10 grand, I could have taken it to a speed shop and have the car fitted with a blower and beoyond the specs of the 6.4 and still had money to spare.

The 6.4 comes with katzskin suede leather seats, 6.4 HEMI / 392 HEMI badges, dual painted stripes (from the factory) and roughly 100 horse over the R/T... but here's the kicker: the 2011, 2012 Challengers have their ECU encrypted and are not cracked as of yet... so there are no mods you can do to them aside from the CAI / Exhaust. You cannot tune them yet.

Such a hater

Not hating, just not a car I would buy. I've noticed the posters here are very frank and tell people the way that it is. I'm just rolling with the folks. I've owned several Dodge products over the years, so I'm just as guilty the op.

Quite a few people like the retrolook cars. Thats okay for them.

While tempting, it was 10,000 more than the one I got.

For 10 grand, I could have taken it to a speed shop and have the car fitted with a blower and beoyond the specs of the 6.4 and still had money to spare.

The 6.4 comes with katzskin suede leather seats, 6.4 HEMI / 392 HEMI badges, dual painted stripes (from the factory) and roughly 100 horse over the R/T... but here's the kicker: the 2011, 2012 Challengers have their ECU encrypted and are not cracked as of yet... so there are no mods you can do to them aside from the CAI / Exhaust. You cannot tune them yet.

Sadly dodge seems ot be the only ones who sell tuning software for there newr cars. The srt-4 caliber guys where complaining for a year or two for there stage 1 tuning software which was vin number specific.

Not hating, just not a car I would buy. I've noticed the posters here are very frank and tell people the way that it is. I'm just rolling with the folks. I've owned several Dodge products over the years, so I'm just as guilty the op.

Quite a few people like the retrolook cars. Thats okay for them.

Yea I was just messing with you. I would never buy a 4 cylinder that doesnt have a turbo but thats just me.

What car do you drive again?

Yea I was just messing with you. I would never buy a 4 cylinder that doesnt have a turbo but thats just me.

What car do you drive again?

That power is makes you feel strong doesn't it? Hahaha just messing with you. ;) I'd buy a vette again before getting the dodge, but thats me. The dodge does have more room in the trunk for golf clubs.

That power is makes you feel strong doesn't it? Hahaha just messing with you. ;) I'd buy a vette again before getting the dodge, but thats me. The dodge does have more room in the trunk for golf clubs.

Idk man the trunk in the dodge is probably deeper but as far as width and length goes the vette might have it. I fit 3 cases of beer, a mini grill, 3 folding chairs that fold up the tall way and fit into bags and a 5 foot 7 inch 140lbs female in the hatch of the vette all at the same time with a little room to spare.

Idk man the trunk in the dodge is probably deeper but as far as width and length goes the vette might have it. I fit 3 cases of beer, a mini grill, 3 folding chairs that fold up the tall way and fit into bags and a 5 foot 7 inch 140lbs female in the hatch of the vette all at the same time with a little room to spare.

You might be right. I must admit that I haven't looked in the trunk of the new dodge. Walked around one, but not interested enough to even test drive it.

You bought it from a dealer with SLP bits?

Woah.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I'll take some pics of the trunk with a ruler!

Don't do it just for me. You might want to see if a guy about Hoffa's size can fit back there. ;) You got the type of car that will hold it's value if you take care of it because of how unique it is. There are a number of people that love those and will pay a premium.

Nice car! I think the challenger is the best looking of the retro muscle cars.

My buddy picked up a no option R/T with his voucher when he left Chrysler. It was more fun to drive than I expected, although I hated the pistol shifter.

Voucher?

Do you get a free car if you work for a Big-3 company?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

So the plant closed, and they gave everyone a check for $26.5k? No wonder they needed bailing out.

Archived