LegacyGT.com

2010 Dodge Challenger R/T w/ Track Package - perspective after 3000 miles

So the plant closed, and they gave everyone a check for $26.5k? No wonder they needed bailing out.

That happens a lot when companies close a plant. All the delphi employees got them, the amount was determined by position and years with the company. Some of my friends who were there for 5 years or so got around 20 grand. It even happened at a grocery store around here that a friend of mine had been working at since high school.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Buying a car sounds like a good use of a "you don't have a job anymore" check.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Actually, the buyout was something like $80k + 2 years tuition reimbursement + $25k car voucher. The voucher was non-transferible and he had to keep the car for x # of months.

What other Chrysler car is there worth getting for "free"??

You can get a Challenger r/t for $25k?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Actually, the buyout was something like $80k + 2 years tuition reimbursement + $25k car voucher. The voucher was non-transferible and he had to keep the car for x # of months.

What other Chrysler car is there worth getting for "free"??

That is a bit insane for a bankrupt company.

That is a bit insane for a bankrupt company.

I don't disagree.

He was still a Chrysler employee so he got the car at I think 2% under invoice. Sold his 91 Mustang gt and paid a little out of pocket to make up the difference.

Sorry I derailed your thread :lol:

Ok, so...

Besides the obvious lack of power, running water and overall welfare of people in the north east... I still have to go to work. So my girl and I have been shacking up at her sister's house which has a built in 15kw generator.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u148/cherrybloom203/8549447b.jpg

First impressions of the car in the snow: not bad. Keep it rolling and under 35 and I can navigate quite easily. Even up a hill and stopping. But once I lose momentum (IE the Prius that got infront of me who had to 'stop' to wave at a neighbor) made me spin for a few seconds before it grabbed. I had read in the manual that starting on snow or ice may require me to disable the ESP setting (Electronic stability program / traction control). Once the car gets enough behind her ass, she just sails through the snow.

As for the grip of the tires: I'm not sure what people were freaking out about. In 19 degree weather this morning, the '3 season' goodyear eagle supercar tires seemed to bite just fine. Of course, I wasn't trying to do 60 in a residential area with wires down either.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u148/cherrybloom203/f77de2fa.jpg

I did slide once on black ice, and the old 'when in doubt, power out' instinct wanted to kick in from the LGT, but instead I turned ever so slightly towards the slide and it worked itself out fine. (RWD turns towards the slide... hey I remembered something from my driver's test!)

The biggest gripe I had was the time it took for the car to heat up it's massive windshield. Holy hell it seemed to take forever.

My second biggest gripe was not about the car at all. People. If the power is out, and there's a 4 way intersection and no light, it's treated as a 4 way stop sign. In fact, that huge white stop bar on the road means stop, even if you don't see a sign or light in the area, technically you ARE supposed to stop there. DOT sometimes forgets but they are supposed to paint it black when the stop is removed.

Almost saw somoene get nailed because some dumb broad sailed through a 4 way major intersection as we were all taking turns (Clockwise, starting with whoever got there first and to the "right" when it's the same time.

Same goes with 2 way, "T" and merging, if the light is out, treat it as a stop sign, main road has right of way and people merging must yield.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u148/cherrybloom203/3ca71df6.jpg

Bottom line is: I'm still going to get some 18" cop wheels (probably the black 5-star steel stamped ones) with some Blizzacks on it anyway. 2 tons is a lot of dead weight when sliding around and I'd hate to slide into a car, off the road or God forbid a child or animal on the side of the road. The car is not horrible in the snow. In fact, people used to drive rear wheel cars for years in the snow just fine, as long as you take the right safety precautions. It is, however, obvious that the car was not intended to be specifically marketed as being able to drive in winter. Quite the opposite. The dealership sells all kinds of 'winter hibernation' supplies for the car to be in long term storage. Keep it under 35 on non-plowed roads and keep it at the speed limit on the highways, start in 2nd gear with ESP off if you're on snow or ice and you'll do just fine... and always give yourself enough room to brake or maneuver if you can.

Ok, so...

Besides the obvious lack of power, running water and overall welfare of people in the north east... I still have to go to work. So my girl and I have been shacking up at her sister's house which has a built in 15kw generator.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u148/cherrybloom203/8549447b.jpg

First impressions of the car in the snow: not bad. Keep it rolling and under 35 and I can navigate quite easily. Even up a hill and stopping. But once I lose momentum (IE the Prius that got infront of me who had to 'stop' to wave at a neighbor) made me spin for a few seconds before it grabbed. I had read in the manual that starting on snow or ice may require me to disable the ESP setting (Electronic stability program / traction control). Once the car gets enough behind her ass, she just sails through the snow.

As for the grip of the tires: I'm not sure what people were freaking out about. In 19 degree weather this morning, the '3 season' goodyear eagle supercar tires seemed to bite just fine. Of course, I wasn't trying to do 60 in a residential area with wires down either.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u148/cherrybloom203/f77de2fa.jpg

I did slide once on black ice, and the old 'when in doubt, power out' instinct wanted to kick in from the LGT, but instead I turned ever so slightly towards the slide and it worked itself out fine. (RWD turns towards the slide... hey I remembered something from my driver's test!)

The biggest gripe I had was the time it took for the car to heat up it's massive windshield. Holy hell it seemed to take forever.

My second biggest gripe was not about the car at all. People. If the power is out, and there's a 4 way intersection and no light, it's treated as a 4 way stop sign. In fact, that huge white stop bar on the road means stop, even if you don't see a sign or light in the area, technically you ARE supposed to stop there. DOT sometimes forgets but they are supposed to paint it black when the stop is removed.

Almost saw somoene get nailed because some dumb broad sailed through a 4 way major intersection as we were all taking turns (Clockwise, starting with whoever got there first and to the "right" when it's the same time.

Same goes with 2 way, "T" and merging, if the light is out, treat it as a stop sign, main road has right of way and people merging must yield.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u148/cherrybloom203/3ca71df6.jpg

Bottom line is: I'm still going to get some 18" cop wheels (probably the black 5-star steel stamped ones) with some Blizzacks on it anyway. 2 tons is a lot of dead weight when sliding around and I'd hate to slide into a car, off the road or God forbid a child or animal on the side of the road. The car is not horrible in the snow. In fact, people used to drive rear wheel cars for years in the snow just fine, as long as you take the right safety precautions. It is, however, obvious that the car was not intended to be specifically marketed as being able to drive in winter. Quite the opposite. The dealership sells all kinds of 'winter hibernation' supplies for the car to be in long term storage. Keep it under 35 on non-plowed roads and keep it at the speed limit on the highways, start in 2nd gear with ESP off if you're on snow or ice and you'll do just fine... and always give yourself enough room to brake or maneuver if you can.

Exactly. People have driven for years on rear wheel drive. Slap on some snow tires and you are good to go. I'd rather have rear wheel drive any day of the week over front wheel drive. The winter tires will cramp a good looking cars style though.

The thing about this recent snow storm on the east coast is that if you drive slowly and make it through it, the snow will probably disappear and not reappear for a while. I'm not a weatherman though...

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd give an update on how the car is after being driven by me for a few months now.

Winter is here, and I've got my fingers crossed that it doesn't snow any time soon. As a daily driver, and the sole passenger, I don't mind the no-muffler setup of straight long headders into a straightpipe exhaust setup. The car constantly demands attention, I've been pulled over twice, even though I didn't do anything wrong. Both times I was told that either my license plate wasn't visible (it's on the bumper) or it looked like I had illegal tints (the windows are untinted, but with the angle of the glass and a black interior, from behind the vehicle or on the curb, it looks like it is.

Cops follow it. Every idiot with a mustang trys to race me or get my attention on the highway then take off. Every stoplight people floor it thinking I'm going lining up to do the 1320.

Other than that, I have no real complaints. The defroster works extremely fast, the heat comes on quickly (probably because it's a v8? not sure)... the seat warmers really help out on cold days and I don't hear too much in the way of rattles.

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/312914_10150387177726977_622446976_8734987_318298909_n.jpg

Except. While the sound system is surprisingly decent in this car, there is some rattle that comes from the deep bass notes or deep kick drum from the door near the door handles and from somewhere in the back (probably the deck). Nothing major, just have to ignore the buzz... I'll get to this someday, just not too keen about taking apart the door at this time.

Traction has been excellent. I've only had one issue of hydroplaning and man, when I did, this is a 2 ton brick. I just took my foot off the brake and gas and the car caught traction again. I hydroplaned over some water runoff on the road not too long ago.

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/377909_10150397330146977_622446976_8767436_951505322_n.jpg

Road noise has been surprisingly quiet. Aside from the exhaust, I would have expected to feel every bump, every crack, every seam and the whir of the road noise on the tires. Not so; in fact, I hit a speed bump a little too fast yesterday that would have sent my legacy's struts through the hood... and barely felt it.

Now that I've become acustomed to the 6-speed manual, and how to operate the clutch again when shifting under power so everyone's heads don't bounce off the dashboard when I touch the clutch... the car really does have a tremendous ammount of power. So much so that I'm almost intimidated by its potential. I went with some friends to an old / unused airport somewhere near the south east of Connecticut and we had some fun on the old tarmac. I got a better grip on launching and learned that I need a lot of practice shifting under heavy acceleration. I had some GoPro footage but I can't find the SD card I used for it. I think it's either on the tarmac or in one of my friend's computers. I'll update the thread once it actually snows.

Here's a youtube link for the exhaust sound inside the cabin:

• 1 month later...

I've now reached 8500 miles. Normally, I'd be over 12,000 by now... except my work has been flying me around the country on their dime helping remote sites with their computers. I've had to drive some of the crappiest cars ever. The 2012 Honda Civic? Probably *the* worst car I've ever driven, and how. Everything from the interior layout to the sheet metal used, to the road noise made me want to put it out of its misery. Then there was the base model VW Jetta GLI. Dude. That's all I have to say. Companies put out that kind of garbage?

I finally named my car... Kristen... after this smart-ass redhead I used to work with. She would wear high heels and really cute outfits and then challenge you to arm wrestle for a beer.

My next OCI is at 10,000, where I will be switching over to synthetic, but I'm not looking forward to the MASS quantity of oil I have to use during the change. I want to use Amsoil this time around. I'm also going to try their filter as well.

For the winter, I got lucky and found a previous Challenger owner who was selling 18" rims and snow tires with 1000 miles on it. They wrecked the car and had these lying around. Tirerack wanted 1300 for basic steelies and tires, I snagged these for 600 out the door. Same rim as now, but not in chrome and 18". Sadly, I haven't had the chance to actually drive the car much as I've been in Detroit and Columbus the last 3 weeks.

I was thinking about trading the car in for the 2012 or 2013 R/T model. By the way, 2013 will be the last year that the vehicle is produced... Dodge is not producing the car after 2013. Instead, in 2014 the Dodge 'Cuda will be produced, which will be a smaller and lighter version of the car to bring in line with the Mustang/Camaro line for performance.

In the 70's the Challenger was brought in to complete with the larger versions of the ford/gm pony cars... namely the Mercury Cugar (ford's larger version of the mustang) and the Pontiac Firebird (GM). Dodge Challenger was late to the scene by a few years and was all about power AND looks instead of fine tuning the performance. The Plymouth Baracuda was the answer back then, and appears to be the same story today. There are some leaked pictures out there.

Rumor also had it that an SRT10 Challenger was in the works, but I lost hope because it has no vin number, thus not street legal. This Challenger would have the V10 from the Viper and Ram SRT10. an SRT10 challenger in the drag pack (almost 1000 pounds lighter) with a 512 cubic inch stroker... yum! Problem there is the price tag...

• 1 month later...
Love the color and the car, it's my favorite looking muscle car, I'd still opt for the Camaro though. I had a 2005 GTO with the 1-4 lockout, it didn't really bother me much after a few weeks of driving it as I adjusted.. It only locks out if the throttle is under a certain percentage.

Love the color and the car, it's my favorite looking muscle car, I'd still opt for the Camaro though. I had a 2005 GTO with the 1-4 lockout, it didn't really bother me much after a few weeks of driving it as I adjusted.. It only locks out if the throttle is under a certain percentage.

Defeating the skip-shift was a piece of cake...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So I just rounded out the 15,000 mile mark. No complaints so far, but I got intentionally smacked by someone in walmart by their car door. Saw it happen on the way back to the car. Parked away from everyone but this one guy in a shitty ford explorer parked right next to my passenger side. When I was walking back I saw him open the door and let go of it, saw my car move, and then he bent over to look, laughed with his friend then got back in. and left before I could run my fat ass out there. didn't quite crease the seam line of the car but it looks like a bullet hit the car on the passenger side behind the door. Chipped the paint down to the primer, which means you can't touch it up.

the car has at least 5 coats on it from what the dealership told me. The entire side of the car would have to be repainted... 1 yellow primer, 1 coat of red 2 coats of orange and 1 clearcoat. I was so mad. What makes people do shit like that?

Been to a bunch of car shows with it... tons of looks... ironically I've been pretty tame in this beast for some time now, but every once in a while I cut loose. She drifts like a mofo if I get on it on a turn.

Increased the wheel width to 20x10's in the rear, running 275/40r20's and 245/45r20's in the front... same rolling radius and better traction on the back end. Nitto Invo's all around in staggered, directional settings means better performance but not for tire longevity.

I changed out the rear lights for sequentials... even the brake lights (not sure if that's legal in ct for brakes sequencing one time).

Kept the interior squeeky clean and then my GF took the dog to the vet in it once... and somehow it managed to put claw marks on every seat surface in the rear. So mad. But then again, no one rides in the back of it so I don't care anymore.

Things to do:

Cam Kit

Valve Kit

Phaser Kit

Supercharger

Fuel Rails

... same exact car (2010 Challenger R/T) at the car show, tuned to 93 octane with the same setup as above puts down 512 to the rear wheels. Not bad. Cam kit alone is about $1000, with the supercharger about $7500... so still on the fence about it or selling the car towards a 2010 SRT if I can find one without stripes in Hemi Orange pearl...

Looking at the Hop Not anti-wheel hop stabilizer for the rears (too many rpms can cause a nasty wheel hop if the tires break loose)

It's a shame the new cars, 2011 2012 and the 2013 CANNOT be tuned... wt actual f is that about, chrysler?

Gas mileage is the same as my old LGT... just about 18 on the city, 24 on the highway in 6th gear (it actually shuts of 2 cylendars and goes into 6 cyl mode) on cruise... in traffic I'm looking at 14 mpg tops.

Transmission is just as snappy as it was new. Changed out the shift stick with a Hurst Shifter with a gunslinger pistol grip. Suspension is sweet... wish it was lowered an inch like the SRT but I'm not going to noodle with that now.

Threw some American Racing Hot-Rod limited Torq-Thrust M wheels on, dark anthricite finish with machined lip. should have stayed with the chromes though...

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u148/cherrybloom203/2010%20Dodge%20Challenger%20RT/SK-01.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u148/cherrybloom203/2010%20Dodge%20Challenger%20RT/DSC05875.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u148/cherrybloom203/2010%20Dodge%20Challenger%20RT/DSC05873.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u148/cherrybloom203/2010%20Dodge%20Challenger%20RT/DSC05865.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u148/cherrybloom203/2010%20Dodge%20Challenger%20RT/DSC05842.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u148/cherrybloom203/2010%20Dodge%20Challenger%20RT/DSC05851.jpg

Archived