LegacyGT.com

About to buy 2005 LGT limited wagon

thegamettt

Hi my name is tim. I don't know anything about Subaru. I own an S2k, and Civic both 2004. Going to be trading in the civic.

2005 Atlantic Blue Pearl, 35k miles automatic transmission. 16.7k asking price. Salesman noted that the turbo was being replaced and will be ready for me to see tomorrow. This car will be mostly for my girl, hence the automatic. I researched about the turbo, and i learned that this is a known problem. Why is this, and should I be worried? What else should I look out for? Sorry if theres already a "what should i look out for thread", i couldn't find it. I just want to know all the known problems and what maintenance is going to be like because I'd like to do all that myself, like i do with the hondas. Definitely willing to learn as I've always liked subies.

In the future I plan to trade the s2k for an 08+sti wagon. Thanks in advance!:)

I would ask alot more questions as to why the turbo needs replacing at only 35K. The banjo bolt which contains a fine mesh screen filter in the oil supply line to the turbo can become clogged overtime causing oil starvation and turbo failure. Clogging of the screen is usually attributed to lack of regular interval oil changes.

I would ask alot more questions as to why the turbo needs replacing at only 35K. The banjo bolt which contains a fine mesh screen filter in the oil supply line to the turbo can become clogged overtime causing oil starvation and turbo failure. Clogging of the screen is usually attributed to lack of regular interval oil changes.

So if this was the case, does that mean the engine itself is permanantly damaged? Or does the turbo replacement fix everything, and I just have to keep up maintenance from there on out? When they replace a turbo at the dealership, do they make sure no other damage has been done? Sorry for all the questions, we plan to keep this car for a very long time.

So if this was the case, does that mean the engine itself is permanantly damaged? Or does the turbo replacement fix everything, and I just have to keep up maintenance from there on out? When they replace a turbo at the dealership, do they make sure no other damage has been done? Sorry for all the questions, we plan to keep this car for a very long time.

No it does not mean the engine is damaged. Replacing the turbo and properly breaking it in would fix it. However the dealer should be making sure there was no other damage done to the engine. But again I would ask them more about that and get it in writing to cover yourself going forward.

Just wanted to update, I ended up buying it. However next day the power steering system got air in it, now its back in the shop. Hopefully the pump isn't out. Good thing I got a 5 year 60k extended warranty. Also the drivers headlight burned out. Both issues should be fixed for free. My gf is a little frustrated that these things happened so soon, but other than that, the car is great. Hopefully they'll finish today. Thanks!

Keep that warrenty handy.

Learn to check the oil every couple of day's and top if off as needed. Do your oil canges at 3500 miles. "check the oil every couple of day's and top if off as needed"

Watch for how quickly the oil gets dirty.

Did they remove the banjo filter or at least check it and clean it ?

You need to find out why they replaced the turbo.

They should be replacing the light bulb with the proper one, 05 were known for eating head light bulbs. There was a TSB back in 05.

Ask if the front and rear diff fluids were replaced at 30,000 miles.

Welcome the world of turbo cars.

I used to be a Honda guy too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

thanks for the reply man. I'm checking the oil everyday, need to find out if they used syntec or dino. Not sure about the banjo bolt filter, is that something i can check myself? Or should I just ask them to at one of my free oil changes?

Turbo was replaced due to shaft play. Not sure about the bulb, I'll have to ask that too. 30k service was done, so does that mean those fluids were changed? Thanks again!

Yes 30,000 does those fluids.

It may cost a !00 but have them check and remove the filter. If you handy with tools and have a stubby 17mm ratchet box wrench. there is a DIY on here.

Pay the man it's easier.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived