LegacyGT.com

DIY: 2005 Legacy GT Blower Motor

Xyklok - any luck with the resistor? I haven't messed with it yet, but I was driving today and the check engine light came on and the "CRUISE" light is blinking. I heard this could be caused from a loose gas cap, but after making sure mine was tight, the lights didn't turn off. Could it be related to the whining noise from the fan?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Xyklok - any luck with the resistor? I haven't messed with it yet, but I was driving today and the check engine light came on and the "CRUISE" light is blinking. I heard this could be caused from a loose gas cap, but after making sure mine was tight, the lights didn't turn off. Could it be related to the whining noise from the fan?

Start and turn off the engine 4 times the CEL should clear.

If not have any auto parts store read the code for free.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Start and turn off the engine 4 times the CEL should clear.

If not have any auto parts store read the code for free.

Do you really have to start it? Or just ignition on? Also i wonder if this completely resets the ECU or just clears the code..

I love this forum. Thanks for all this information. I just replaced the stock blower with the RAV4 one from Amazon.

Accessing the screws, especially the one in the back was difficult. I used a Torx bit, and magnetic chuck combined with a crescent wrench/socket wrench to get some leverage for the back one.

I also waxed the screws to make it easier to start them by hand.

The new motor still hums but it is definitely quieter than the busted one.

http://i.imgur.com/GHrgLB6h.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/mXif47ih.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/cAJq2KHh.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Based on a couple recent posts, I've updated my "poor man's fix it". It appears the whinning noise could be the resistor - which is much easier and cheaper to fix than the fan. Try this:

1. Before removing anything, check the fuses. There is a fuse box in the engine compartment with a tool for pulling fuses & spares. Look in your owners manual for more details. I checked fuses 2,3&4 (but I think these are for the radiator cooling fan.

2. There is a second set of fuses in the drivers side dash. Check fuses 27&28. My 27 was blown - if I had checked this first, would have saved myself several hours and phone calls... I also checked fuse 1 (cargo fan), 22&31 (A/C).

3. Replace any blown fuses with spares from engine fuse box lid. You will need small hands for dash fuses or be very careful with needlenose pliers.

4. If fan still does not work, try replacing the blower motor resistor. It is located behind the fan and comes out with 2 phillps screws. (remove batter cable). You can order from ebay for $16 (Denso #077800-0780) It may say its for a Honda Odyssey, but it works on a Legacy. All auto parts stores wanted about $50 and had to order it - dealer was $95. Reconnect battery and hope the fan is working now.

5. If fan is still not blowing, you can replace that. Follow the original DIY post from maniaxzero. Suggest disconnecting the negative battery cable so you don't trigger the airbag. Get a NEW blower motor fan from ebay for less than $40 shipped (TYC part#700202). It might say its for a RAV-4, but it works on a Legacy. All auto parts stores wanted about $100 and had to order it - dealer was like $200. Reconnect battery and hope the fan is working now.

6. If fan still is not working, you may need a relay and/or switch. Hopefully not, because I could not find much info on how to replace those parts.

Good luck!

Brian

Fuses good, new blower motor installed. Next to try a new resistor. Update Ordered a new resistor. I will post the one I was sent and the one that came out of the car. During the 05 model year they switched designs. http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2251&pictureid=10407 http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2251&pictureid=10406

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Just another success story here with the blower replacement. Really easy DIY. I'm not a "Joe Fix it" by any means so if I can do this without complication then anyone can. Thanks to the OP and other contributors that saved me a lot of money. Dealer quoted over 400 to do what took me 30 min and less than 50 bucks to fix. Ordered both the resistor and motor, thinking it was most likely the resistor based on comments above. Swapped the motor replacement in first and that solved the problem. Fan/motor back in silent mode again :-) I'll keep the resistor on hand just in case that decides to go. Less than $10 IIRC. Or happy to send it to another member. Anyway, should the issue arise again, it will probably tak 15 min to resolve now that I know how to get in the dash. FWIW, I thought the rear most screw holding the blower in was much more of a pain than the recessed one. But it ended up submitting to my "verbal" intimidations.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, I replaced my blower motor because it was making noise and figured that would solve the problem. Unfortunately it hasn't helped. It still makes this weird noise; sounds like a baby bird in my blower motor... I recorded the noise. I'll check the fuses today, but in the meantime, any suggestions?

You might have to crank the volume to hear it.

Hey Th1nkTank,

Many of us have had success replacing the resistor (arguably easier than replacing the blower motor). I think there are links to ordering the resistor and a walkthrough on how to replace it in earlier posts. Keep us updated on how it goes!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Just got off the phone with wife. She says ac is turned up all the way to 4 position but it blows very low (cold air though).

Would resistor be the suspect or am I looking at something else?

Thanks.

In my experience changing the resistor only helped when the fan was making a whining noise. The lack of air could be due to leaves or other debris clogging the blower. I would use the walkthrough at the beginning of the thread to check your blower for debris. Good luck!

• 6 months later...
My fan stopped working again this past weekend after less than 2 years from my original post. Ran thru the diagnostic and found blown fuse #28. Replaced and fan still not working! Order resistor from Amazon and got it in 2 days this morning (thank you Amazon Prime). Plugged in to make sure working before unscrewing old one - yippeee! it works now. Lets hope it last more than 2 years this time.

• 3 weeks later...

bkgraczyk,

Just experienced the same thing as you. Replaced my fan/motor last August, and as life would dictate, my air isn't working again. This time no whining noise. I hear the fan wanting to push out air but nothing is coming out. Thinking there is an obstruction somewhere but I don't see how that would happen. Will go through the diagnostic with fuses and such. I'll report findings.

All the fuses were good. Since I already had the resistor on hand, I took the old one out and replaced with the new. Fired it back up and still not working. So I detached the fan/blower and it looked fine. Plugged it back in and started up the AC again. Air was coming out great. Weird. But it works now and the minor crisis resolved.

As far has parts go, I say just order both resistor and blower since they can be found on the cheap. It made my fix a bit more convenient rather than waiting again till the part was mailed out. Just my two cents. Remember to disconnect battery for safety concerns.

Archived