LegacyGT.com

DIY: 2005 Legacy GT Blower Motor

Hi 4rings6stars, sorry to hear about your blower motor issues.

When i plugged in the new fan, it also twiched. However, my fuse 27 was blown. Go back and replace fuses 27 & 28 and try again.

I was able to test my old & new fans using my 2013 Legacy. Since that plug is different, i had to run wires from the 2013 plug to the fan. If you have a 2nd car, you can proabably test it using the same principle. Hopefully, your new fan is not defective.

If that still does not work, try the resistor. Not sure how to test it, but part is only $16 on ebay and easy to replace. I bought is from ebay user partsforcars29. It's honda part#RU438 (replaces denso 0778000780).

Good luck

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Big thanks to all who posted on this thread for saving me hundreds of dollars!

My HVAC fan started making a loud noise, then just went dead and locked-up. I followed this thread to replace it, but the new fan didn't work. Turned out a fuse had also blown. So here is my add to the walkthrough...

1. Before removing anything, check the fuses. There is a fuse box in the engine compartment with a tool for pulling fuses & spares. Look in your owners manual for more details. I checked fuses 2,3&4 (but I think these are for the radiator cooling fan.

2. There is a second set of fuses in the drivers side dash. Check fuses 27&28. My 27 was blown - if I had checked this first, would have saved myself several hours and phone calls... I also checked fuse 1 (cargo fan), 22&31 (A/C).

3. Replace any blown fuses with spares from engine fuse box lid. You will need small hands for dash fuses or be very careful with needlenose pliers.

4. If fan is still not blowing, you can replace that. Follow the original DIY post from maniaxzero. Suggest disconnecting the negative battery cable so you don't trigger the airbag. Get a NEW blower motor fan from ebay for less than $40 shipped (TYC part#700202). It might say its for a RAV-4, but it works on a Legacy. All auto parts stores wanted about $100 and had to order it - dealer was like $200. Reconnect battery and hope the fan is working now.

5. If fan still does not work, try replacing the blower motor resistor. It is located behind the fan and comes out with 2 phillps screws. (remove batter cable). You can order from ebay for $16 (Denso #077800-0780) It may say its for a Honda Odyssey, but it works on a Legacy. All auto parts stores wanted about $50 and had to order it - dealer was $95. Reconnect battery and hope the fan is working now.

6. If fan still is not working, you may need a relay and/or switch. Hopefully not, because I could not find much info on how to replace those parts.

As you can tell, I am not a mechanic, just a guy who doesnt want to spend $600-800 to fix something that most can do for less than $60. I hope these steps can save you $. Any questions, send me an email.

bkgraczyk, thanks for sharing the additional diagnostic steps! Definitely very helpful for people who's fan went dead.

Ugh, just replaced my fan with the 4runner fan from ebay and it doesn't work at all, just like the old one...

The original fan started making bad noises and then eventually stopped working altogether. I assumed maybe a fuse blew, but I checked the "blower" fuses 27 and 28 and they were both fine. I then assumed the motor just died so I pulled it and dropped in the new one; but it doesn't do anything either. Both fans, when plugged in and held in my hand behave identically--they will twitch a tiny bit as soon as I turn the fan and then do nothing else.

Sounds like maybe the resistor? Any way to test this or should I just order the replacement you mentioned?

Like bkgraczyk suggested, I would recheck the fuses and if still not working, then try the resistor. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Just to close the loop on my saga, I replaced the resistor today and all is working as it should now.

Thanks for the very helpful thread, saved me a few hundo.

Great to hear! Thanks for circling back. It can potentially help other members in the future!

• 1 month later...

Searched and found!

This morning I was getting some terrible noise and when I turned the dial from 1 to 0 it went away. I just got to work and searched here and boom! answers :)

I've been getting a whirring/hiss for a long time but the sound got much worse today.

Thanks for this thread! I'm going to open and inspect before ordering a replacement

Searched and found!

This morning I was getting some terrible noise and when I turned the dial from 1 to 0 it went away. I just got to work and searched here and boom! answers :)

I've been getting a whirring/hiss for a long time but the sound got much worse today.

Thanks for this thread! I'm going to open and inspect before ordering a replacement

It's pretty simple to take out. Good luck!

Maybe one of you guys who has experience with these blowers can advise me a little bit. I have two lingering issues with my HVAC system.

1) Sporadically when I turn the car off it sounds like the blower continues to spin for 15-20 seconds and it makes an grinding noise. When the car is on and have the fan on it doesn't sound like there is anything is wrong with it.

2) Also sporadically the HVAC system will get stuck blowing only out of the defroster. No matter which setting I try and change it to it still blows out of only the defroster. Eventually, in some cases days later, it switches back to blow out of the vents on its own. I feel like there is a valve inside the duct work that is sticking or there may be an electrical issue between the controls and some kind of valve.

Any ideas would be a huge help. Thanks.

Maybe one of you guys who has experience with these blowers can advise me a little bit. I have two lingering issues with my HVAC system.

1) Sporadically when I turn the car off it sounds like the blower continues to spin for 15-20 seconds and it makes an grinding noise. When the car is on and have the fan on it doesn't sound like there is anything is wrong with it.

2) Also sporadically the HVAC system will get stuck blowing only out of the defroster. No matter which setting I try and change it to it still blows out of only the defroster. Eventually, in some cases days later, it switches back to blow out of the vents on its own. I feel like there is a valve inside the duct work that is sticking or there may be an electrical issue between the controls and some kind of valve.

Any ideas would be a huge help. Thanks.

Hmm haven't heard of these problems. Hopefully other more knowledgeable members can chime in.

Actually on your second problem, we're having the exact same symptoms on my brothers 04 mazdaspeed miata. Havent solved it yet :confused:

Hi fossil2k2,

sounds like your 2 issues might be the blower motor. It usually starts acting up before it dies (then u are stuck with no A/C this summer!).

It cheap and easy to replace (even I could do it!). The hardest part is reachinng the screws that are near the firewall because you will need a small, stubby screwdriver and patience.

Try it out and see if it solves both problems. Good luck!

Brian

After I bumped this thread last week I tried my fan and it worked with no noise the same day so I was happy and just left it off.

Well today its crazy hot so I was gonna use the air but the fan doesn't turn on at all any more lol. I probly should have ordered last week so I could swap it now...

After I bumped this thread last week I tried my fan and it worked with no noise the same day so I was happy and just left it off.

Well today its crazy hot so I was gonna use the air but the fan doesn't turn on at all any more lol. I probly should have ordered last week so I could swap it now...

Junkyard. The part is shared with quite a few years of RAV4, so they're everywhere.

so much cheaper too, mine was like $20 (though i didn't need it as a screw had fallen into it).

• 3 months later...

Bought the RAV4 model a month ago and finally got around to replacing it today, install wasn't too bad. The farthest screw was a PITA (somewhat corroded) but a wrench did the trick. Mine had what looked like 9 years of dust/lint build up. Didn't bother cleaning and trying it again.

Great write up, thanks for the walkthrough. Took about 35 minutes because one of my pop fasteners was permanently locked in. Rocking with just 2 now.

• 4 weeks later...

I need help on a new issue with my fan...Here's how it all went through

Fan #1 (original): started making a weird noise. Ordered a new one from eBay

Fan #2: Installed easily and worked perfectly for a year then started making a loud whining noise with variation depending of speed. Lowest speed being the loodest. I order a new one on eBay

Fan #3: Received from eBay. Installed, same damn whining noise. Pissed off so I write to the seller and he sends a new one free of charge

Fan #4: Receive new fan and still the same sound. At this point I just give up and assume the seller is selling bad products...

Fan #5: (yes no 5!): I find one from a part out in a local subaru garage. Guy tells me everything worked fine. Just installed it and same damn sound.

Maybe this should have been obvious to someone else but I'm thinking at this point the problem isn't the fan anymore but more like an electrical problem somewhere in there.

Here are some symptoms:

Sound stops immediatly when turned off even if the fan is still spinning

Tried turning it on with nothing plugged in and no sound...

Anyone have any idea?

• 2 weeks later...

hi xyklok,

Sorry to hear about your fan (all 5 of them!).

I have 2 thoughts - the obvious one is a possible interference with the fan. Is there any debris, insulation, etc. rubbing against the fan? probably not...

so the 2nd thought is incorrect voltage going to the fan. The easiest way to check is to buy a new relay - cheap and easy to replace. Or you can use a voltmeter to check volatage on different fan settings. I found the proper readings posted on the internet before, but don't remember where.

If it were me, I'd just pop a new relay in and pray that worked. If not, maybe someone else has a solution...

best of luck,

Brian

• 4 weeks later...
hi xyklok,

Sorry to hear about your fan (all 5 of them!).

I have 2 thoughts - the obvious one is a possible interference with the fan. Is there any debris, insulation, etc. rubbing against the fan? probably not...

so the 2nd thought is incorrect voltage going to the fan. The easiest way to check is to buy a new relay - cheap and easy to replace. Or you can use a voltmeter to check volatage on different fan settings. I found the proper readings posted on the internet before, but don't remember where.

If it were me, I'd just pop a new relay in and pray that worked. If not, maybe someone else has a solution...

best of luck,

Brian

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the advise.

I've tried at my workplace 2 different fan and they both work perfectly when ran from another source which confirms that the fan isn't the problem.

I've also taken a video from the fan (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_-enkt4gKpRa3VRTlluY3l6cWM&authuser=0) Anyone can confirm this link work from Google drive? First time I'm trying this...

Here's some additional symptoms I've spotted:

• The sound will change for 1 second if I activate something else from the Radio/HVAC like turning the defroster on. Looks like a change/spike in voltage changes slightly the sound for a second then it comes back to normal. I think I've spotted similar behavior if turning the radio on, not 100% sure
  • The sound really seems to be coming from the fan as the sound deadens when I put it back into the hole (Because it's surrounded)
  • When turning it on for the first time after it's been off for a while, it will do some kind of sound Crescendo/Descrendo depending of the speed

I don't much into electrical problems but judging that the sound seems to come from the fan but it isn't the fan itself, I can only pinpoint to the connector but I fail to see how a connector could make that kind of noise.

Concerning the relay, I'm not sure what you're referring to...where woud that be in there :confused:?

Thanks for the help once again!

Mat

Mat - was able to see & hear the video. I'm puzzled by the sounds... I'm not an expert (or even a novice), so I would suggest replacing the blower motor resistor. [i meant resistor not relay in my original response to you] Very easey & cheap.

It is located behind the fan and comes out with 2 phillips screws. Look for a black square with a cable plugged in to it. To be extra safe, remove battery cable before touching anything under the dashboard as u could set off airbags.

You can order from ebay for $16 shipped (Denso #077800-0780) It may say its for a Honda Odyssey, but it works on a Legacy. Reconnect battery and hope the fan is quiet. If not, wear earplugs, or get ready to drop a few hundred to a real mechanic...

I have my fingers crossed for you! Brian

• 1 month later...

:)

Bought my replacement TYC blower from Amazon w/Prime.. Price came out a few cents cheaper than buying from RockAuto.com and guaranteed me 2 day delivery which meant I would have it by the weekend for the install for sure.

Install was so simple and was so happy to find that it indeed was just the blower that went and not something else. It could be placebo, but I think the new blower blows harder than the stock one. But having not had a working blower for a week, it could just be I had nothing to compare it to. Either way, for 40 bucks its awesome to have heat in my car again!

I have the exact same issues as Xyklok - same whining noise and everything. Did you ever change the resistor, and did that solve the issue? Seems like ordering another blower fan won't help. Any advice?

Hey there, I received your PM but didn't have the time to answer until now.

Haven't changed the resistor yet because the average temperature over here these days is around -15 celcius so I didn't plan to try it out until spring when I can start working on the car.

That being said, I've read a bit about resistors issue and I can't say the symptom appears to be the same but it does make sense that it is related to it considering the sound is only audible when the resistor is doing it's work (Speed 1 to 4 then no sound on highest speed)

The only thing that creates a doubt in my mind is the fact that there is no sound at all when I disconnect the fan then send in power but the resistor should still be doing it's work and making sound if that was the problem.

I'm also wondering if some type of bad connection with the connector could simply create a vibration and the noise with the fan acting as a "speaker"

I'm still puzzled by this because the list is pretty short of what could be the problem but nothing seems to make sense

Archived